Grow Room Electrical

• Thread starter hiboy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
GrowGod

GrowGod

BANNED!
Supporter
@hiboy so I changed the receptacle but now I have no power on the light controler instead of the back looping problem from before . Also the 20 amp breaker is still not working after changing out the receptical.
I tried switching out the 50 amp breaker but no go.
So if you have any other suggestions I would thank you in advance before I have to pay someone to come fix it.:speechless:

hiboy

hiboy

@hiboy so I changed the receptacle but now I have no power on the light controler instead of the back looping problem from before . Also the 20 amp breaker is still not working after changing out the receptical.
I tried switching out the 50 amp breaker but no go.
So if you have any other suggestions I would thank you in advance before I have to pay someone to come fix it.:speechless:
Sorry I just got back from Vegas today
The 50 amp 240 breaker has nothing to do with the 120 volt outlet I believe it goes straight from the panel to the light controller and then you have a cord hanging out of the light controller that is plugged into a timer and then into the outlet correct
Find a hot outlet that is working for sure and plug your lighting cord into it your lights should turn on. You are probably going to need to buy an electrical tester which is a handheld unit with 2 cords on it that you will touch to the neutral and the hot or the hot & the ground.
You can also test it at the breaker but I don't want you to do something you're not comfortable with for safety reasons
Hb

B

biobrand

Hello hiboy can you help me ? One man told me in my thread you are electritian and you can help ?
So this is my case :
Hello, my next project is kind of BIG but don't understand so much in the electricity ,So I have 80 x 600W
80 x HPS 600W + 80 x MST 600W Integrated HID system with ballast, ignitor and compensation capacitor, for sodium and metal halide lamps. I done whit all other things vegetative room ,soil,seeds,fertilizers,nutritions and many,many,more things and here is the big problem. How to setup 80 lamps x 600w+20 x fans(to circulate air in the greenhouse )+6 x fans for air IN+6 x Fans airs OUT.
I will give you example:
600W( eachs)x80 (blubs) (48000W or 48kW)
20xFans (like mine) x 40W (each) x 20 (800W or 0.8kW) circulate air
8xFans (air OUT) x 90W (each) (720W or 0.72 kW)
8xFans (air IN) x 90W (each) (720W or 0.72kW)
When you calculate it you get 50.24kw but (for 1 hour ?)
approximately the consummation will rise like 51kw/55kw for 1 hour ?
So how to setup them right ,what fuses (Amperes ? )and cables ( mm2? ) ?
I know to connect (setup) 5/10 lamps (small grow rooms) but here is not the same and the consummation of electricity too ?

Greetings!

GrowGod

GrowGod

BANNED!
Supporter
Sorry I just got back from Vegas today
The 50 amp 240 breaker has nothing to do with the 120 volt outlet I believe it goes straight from the panel to the light controller and then you have a cord hanging out of the light controller that is plugged into a timer and then into the outlet correct
Find a hot outlet that is working for sure and plug your lighting cord into it your lights should turn on. You are probably going to need to buy an electrical tester which is a handheld unit with 2 cords on it that you will touch to the neutral and the hot or the hot & the ground.
You can also test it at the breaker but I don't want you to do something you're not comfortable with for safety reasons
Hb
Yes the relay clicks on but still no power on the lights. I will get electric tester. Can I touch the two prongs to the breaker where the hot wires are screwed in? Thanks again HiBoy!

hiboy

hiboy

Yes the relay clicks on but still no power on the lights. I will get electric tester. Can I touch the two prongs to the breaker where the hot wires are screwed in? Thanks again HiBoy!
Yes touch each wand end to the terminals where wires attach to. Ur tester should read in the neighborhood of 240. U can also touch one wand end to the wire screw and other to the ground bar individually to check each phase for 120v
Hb

hiboy

hiboy

Hello hiboy can you help me ? One man told me in my thread you are electritian and you can help ?
So this is my case :
Hello, my next project is kind of BIG but don't understand so much in the electricity ,So I have 80 x 600W
80 x HPS 600W + 80 x MST 600W Integrated HID system with ballast, ignitor and compensation capacitor, for sodium and metal halide lamps. I done whit all other things vegetative room ,soil,seeds,fertilizers,nutritions and many,many,more things and here is the big problem. How to setup 80 lamps x 600w+20 x fans(to circulate air in the greenhouse )+6 x fans for air IN+6 x Fans airs OUT.
I will give you example:
600W( eachs)x80 (blubs) (48000W or 48kW)
20xFans (like mine) x 40W (each) x 20 (800W or 0.8kW) circulate air
8xFans (air OUT) x 90W (each) (720W or 0.72 kW)
8xFans (air IN) x 90W (each) (720W or 0.72kW)
When you calculate it you get 50.24kw but (for 1 hour ?)
approximately the consummation will rise like 51kw/55kw for 1 hour ?
So how to setup them right ,what fuses (Amperes ? )and cables ( mm2? ) ?
I know to connect (setup) 5/10 lamps (small grow rooms) but here is not the same and the consummation of electricity too ?

Greetings!
I'm trying to understand ur question. I think uu are asking how to fuse.... Breaker wire size etc.......
How are u controlling the lights..... Are u building your own system or buying a typical light relay from a hydro store...

B

biobrand

I'm trying to understand ur question. I think uu are asking how to fuse.... Breaker wire size etc.......
How are u controlling the lights..... Are u building your own system or buying a typical light relay from a hydro store...

YES ! here is the problem :) (I think uu are asking how to fuse.... Breaker wire size etc.......) I will control the light's whit mechanical timers.I'm building mine own system not typical from the store.

Greetings !

hiboy

hiboy

YES ! here is the problem :) (I think uu are asking how to fuse.... Breaker wire size etc.......) I will control the light's whit mechanical timers.I'm building mine own system not typical from the store.

Greetings !
It's not that difficult to do but if you don't have any electrical it can be very difficult to do.
I will give you a quick rundown
You need a trigger to activate your contractors. an intermatic 120 volt timeclock can do that
When you buy the pre built system they bring a 50 amp wire which is number 6 to a branch of contactors and that's exactly what you have to mimic
Hb

mikeross

mikeross

Hello Hiboy,

Can you please see the equipment below and let me know if I am out to lunch thinking I can run the below setup off 125 amps.

I am planning a (15) light Gavita flip, so (30) lights total, all run off a Gavita controller. 4.4-5.06 amps per light dependent on the settings range I would like to be in... 76 amps 24/7
(8) fan swamp cooler pulling 17 amps 24/7
(1)Dehumidifier 5.5 amps 24/7
(2) Incline fans 4.2 amps 24/7

Total 102.7 amps for the larger items. I will also have about (16) walls fans (2) pumps that come on twice each every day... lets assume 10 amps max for misc. stuff, so up to 112.7 total.

I have a 125amp main breaker on my panel but the outside meter says 200 amps. I assume that means the main service line coming into the property can be upgraded to a 200amp service or is as easy as swamping the current 125 amp breaker for a 200 amp one?

Can I please get your insight on the above and let me know if I am missing something. I will be living in the house alone but will need my laptop, fridge and stove occasionally. I know i'm cutting it real close but any insight you can give me is much appreciated.

Regards,
Mike

Olyver

Olyver

It may be a 200A meter, but the cable from meter base to your 125A panel may not be rated for 200A, what AWG size is the wire from the meter base to the 125A panel.

hiboy

hiboy

Hello Hiboy,

Can you please see the equipment below and let me know if I am out to lunch thinking I can run the below setup off 125 amps.

I am planning a (15) light Gavita flip, so (30) lights total, all run off a Gavita controller. 4.4-5.06 amps per light dependent on the settings range I would like to be in... 76 amps 24/7
(8) fan swamp cooler pulling 17 amps 24/7
(1)Dehumidifier 5.5 amps 24/7
(2) Incline fans 4.2 amps 24/7

Total 102.7 amps for the larger items. I will also have about (16) walls fans (2) pumps that come on twice each every day... lets assume 10 amps max for misc. stuff, so up to 112.7 total.

I have a 125amp main breaker on my panel but the outside meter says 200 amps. I assume that means the main service line coming into the property can be upgraded to a 200amp service or is as easy as swamping the current 125 amp breaker for a 200 amp one?

Can I please get your insight on the above and let me know if I am missing something. I will be living in the house alone but will need my laptop, fridge and stove occasionally. I know i'm cutting it real close but any insight you can give me is much appreciated.

Regards,
Mike
Do you mean u have a 200 amp main with a 125 amp breaker outside which controls a 125 amp sub panel inside,?
112 will make ur 125 amp run hot but will not trip. Or should not trip. At 1 of my spots we have 18 1000 watters with 10 tons of air running at 118 amps on a 125 and hasn't tripped yet

hiboy

hiboy

It may be a 200A meter, but the cable from meter base to your 125A panel may not be rated for 200A, what AWG size is the wire from the meter base to the 125A panel.
After rereading your question sounds like your main outside is 125. You will need to read the panel schematic inside the cover for info to upgrade that 125. Ignore what the meter says....I believe your meter is capable of reading up to 200 but that doesnt mean your panel components are

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
@hiboy Am helping a friend setup his groom. Electrical safety is of course paramount. Dont want to blaze the weed until ready....... or anything or anyone else for that matter :fire:

As a pro I'm sure you have encountered outside panels that have since lost the ID tags showing what breaker serves what circuit in the structure. Well this is the case with his outdoor panel. What is going to be the easiest simplest way for me to help him ID what breaker each receptacle is run to.? This will aid greatly in being able to evenly distribute the amps pulled by all of his gear safely. So we dont overload any 1 breaker. Hope this made sense and thanks in advance and Happy Holidazzzzeee

mancdank

mancdank

@hiboy Am helping a friend setup his groom. Electrical safety is of course paramount. Dont want to blaze the weed until ready....... or anything or anyone else for that matter :fire:

As a pro I'm sure you have encountered outside panels that have since lost the ID tags showing what breaker serves what circuit in the structure. Well this is the case with his outdoor panel. What is going to be the easiest simplest way for me to help him ID what breaker each receptacle is run to.? This will aid greatly in being able to evenly distribute the amps pulled by all of his gear safely. So we dont overload any 1 breaker. Hope this made sense and thanks in advance and Happy Holidazzzzeee
I might be able to help u out with that 1 there's a few different ways to identify a circuit I will try and give u a quick run down #1 circuit finder is a device u plug into your socket outlet and u get a pen type device which u basically move over each breaker until it lights up if your not a electrician u probably won't have 1 of these and they can be expensive but I guess if u need it again might be worth the buy #2 double pole voltage tester are quite cheap but u will need to pay attention switch off all power go to the socket of the circuit your trying to locate undo it and connect the live and the neutral once u have done this go back to the main panel and take out 1 live at a time and put 1 prong on the live and 1 on the relevant neutral when u hear a buzz u have found your circuit but please ensure u have isolated the supply before attempting this or it will go bang :) #3 get a friend 1 stand at the board 1 stand at the socket point of the circuit u wanna find and plug summat in tell the guy at the board to swith 1 off at a time and back on until u find it that way hope this helps

mancdank

mancdank

I might be able to help u out with that 1 there's a few different ways to identify a circuit I will try and give u a quick run down #1 circuit finder is a device u plug into your socket outlet and u get a pen type device which u basically move over each breaker until it lights up if your not a electrician u probably won't have 1 of these and they can be expensive but I guess if u need it again might be worth the buy #2 double pole voltage tester are quite cheap but u will need to pay attention switch off all power go to the socket of the circuit your trying to locate undo it and connect the live and the neutral once u have done this go back to the main panel and take out 1 live at a time and put 1 prong on the live and 1 on the relevant neutral when u hear a buzz u have found your circuit but please ensure u have isolated the supply before attempting this or it will go bang :) #3 get a friend 1 stand at the board 1 stand at the socket point of the circuit u wanna find and plug summat in tell the guy at the board to swith 1 off at a time and back on until u find it that way hope this helps
And for working out your load get your load wattage I. E 10 x 600w =6000 then ÷ by your supply wattage I. E in the states 115 v this will give u how much power in amps u are drawing if there's anything I haven't explained properly please let me know and I will do my best to re explain happy holidays :)

mancdank

mancdank

And for working out your load get your load wattage I. E 10 x 600w =6000 then ÷ by your supply wattage I. E in the states 115 v this will give u how much power in amps u are drawing if there's anything I haven't explained properly please let me know and I will do my best to re explain happy holidays :)
Another point to make out if your using mag ballast x 1.8 on your end result for power correction this can easily be over looked but if your running a lot all to come on at the same time u will run into issues my suggestion for that if your making your own board is a relay timer between each contactor or use multiple timers to come on in sections :)

hiboy

hiboy

You can buy a tester to trace them but I would just flip them off and on until the receptacle goes off. The lowest amp you have in there is probably a 15 amp which isn't much use except for miscellaneous equipment. When in doubt I would run new wire and new breaker is especially for a grow room where a lot of power is consumed there and always being used and I would not shortcut anything. If you're doubting what breaker amperage you have because you cannot read what they are you can note that 12 gauge wire is rated for 20 amp. That's the most common wire in panels. That and 15 amp
Hb

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
You can buy a tester to trace them but I would just flip them off and on until the receptacle goes off. The lowest amp you have in there is probably a 15 amp which isn't much use except for miscellaneous equipment. When in doubt I would run new wire and new breaker is especially for a grow room where a lot of power is consumed there and always being used and I would not shortcut anything. If you're doubting what breaker amperage you have because you cannot read what they are you can note that 12 gauge wire is rated for 20 amp. That's the most common wire in panels. That and 15 amp
Hb
Thanks brutha. I appreciate you and your reply. The breakers are rated at 2o amp I will take the path of least resistance and do the flip n and plug to ID each zone.. Seems like that would work. Just takes a bit more time than having the system with its layout tags in place.

I must say I never thought a painter would get help from a electrician. :cool: As you know painters and electricians typically dont mix. But the love of this plant crosses all boundaries. I will have to tell my painter bros sparkies aint all that bad....... j/k of course. Thanks again.
Peace

hiboy

hiboy

Thanks brutha. I appreciate you and your reply. The breakers are rated at 2o amp I will take the path of least resistance and do the flip n and plug to ID each zone.. Seems like that would work. Just takes a bit more time than having the system with its layout tags in place.

I must say I never thought a painter would get help from a electrician. :cool: As you know painters and electricians typically dont mix. But the love of this plant crosses all boundaries. I will have to tell my painter bros sparkies aint all that bad....... j/k of course. Thanks again.
Peace
Haha that's funny I actually don't mind painters ifts the drywallers that freak me out. Only thing the painters do is take off our plates and don't put them back on
Glad I could help anything else let me know
Hb

Latest posts

Top Bottom