Grow Tent reccomendations? ~

• Thread starter whatsgoodie
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

sirshamus

I'm thinking I read that the growlabs were getting mixed reviews.

C

coldnorth

anyone know if budboxes are any good? seems to be a metal frame but big reason i want em is vent holes are on the top!

M

Mosca Negra

Breeder
Supporter
I recently purchased the GL120 by Growlab. The newest to hit the market. Excellent tent that is a joint effort by Homebox & El Jardin. Very well made and well thought out.

hubcap

hubcap

imo, budboxes are only slightly better than homeboxes.

go with a jardin. that would be my vote.
costs are comparable for an obviously superior tent.

strictly imo

D

DEKA

Homebox makes Secret Jardin and Growlab. They are one in the same now. I am Going to go with a GrowLab GL 145 just because it has the Homebox sturdy outside and zippers with the Jardin frame and interior. Many vents and stuff too.

S

S1CK0hh

I had the old hydrohuts when they first came out and they worked great, I heard they started making tents with toxic plastics as with some other companies getting tents made in china. If you get a tent make sure it has a metallic interior instead of the toxic white plastic. Slick is right none of these tents have thermal protection but they make it easier to control ambient heat which is what flir picks up through your windows.

hubcap

hubcap

I am Going to go with a GrowLab GL 145 just because it has the Homebox sturdy outside and zippers with the Jardin frame and interior. Many vents and stuff too.

thats the idea right here......

didnt know they were one and the same.
doesnt mean the tents are the same tho...

just because ford bought jaguar, didnt make ford (OR jag) a better car.......
dig?

greenthumbdanny

greenthumbdanny

Premium Member
Supporter
which jardin can i use for 2 1000hps?

Wow that would be pretty sick:mad0233:

I would go with the DR240 personally. I can picture 2 1000 watt sun system Magnum XXXL hoods in there just crankin out the dank :banana:

W

whatsgoodie

Whooo, been out of the loop a couple of days (wife came back from a trip.. quality time matters with all women! haha)

I really appreciate all of the informative info, I've come to decide on a DR80 more than likely, any sites with free shipping? 180 is about where I would've ended up after shipping with the HTG Supply tent. I've noticed several sites sell the DR80 for about 179-189 and it weighs in around 20lbs. I haven't ran through any checkout processes yet but I can see the shipping tacking another 20 bucks or so on.

I have a budget of around ~$400 for my tent, odor control and bulbs. (Long term items)

While this is still very doable, I'd rather be farther from the budget than closer!

Also, just to ask again because I didn't see an answer anywhere else in the thread, with a tent -- can I skip a reflector? If not, I have to factor that into the budget and then probably even more climate control due to the heat resonating from the reflector. >_>

Thanks again! +rep danny for the informative and helpful posts!

I'd throw some at'cha again hubcap, but I need to spread around a bit first! Haha~

M

Mr.Wakenbake

Okay, some info.

I have run tents , and personally recommend the Homebox brand of tents. However you shouldn't be disappointed with the Secret Jardin brand either.
One thing you cannot afford to skip is a good air cooled reflector, and an inline fan for exhaust. Using no reflector is an option, but it doesn't effectively disperse the light down towards the plants .
If you cannot get a good air cooled hood for the light, get a batwing reflector and keep a fan blowing across the bulb if possible. This will help decrease heat buildup in the reflector and keep temps down. Another problem with not having your bulb in an air cooled hood, is that the stuff the tent is made out of keeps heat in ,but it can also get super warm. ANYTHING you can do to reduce heat stress on your tent will help the longevity of the tent and the health of your grow.

Example. I ran 1200w in a 40 inch square homebox original and kept the tent below 85f with a 400 cfm 6 inch fan and air cooled hoods. In the same tent i reduced the wattage to 600w with the same fan and brought the temps down to a maximum of 75f.

Another thing you need not skimp on is your odor control. It is imperative you either ....
A: get a vaportek.... google it
B: get a carbon filter

If you choose the carbon filter option, don't skimp on this either. You will hate yourself come flower time if you do. Your safety is not worth the savings you got at the checkout counter for buying a cheap filter, or one undersized for your area.

Contrary to what you may think about reflectors. With a good inline fan, which is a MUST, a decent air cooled hood, with or without tempered glass, i suggest making sure it has tempered glass.....the hood doesn't heat up hardly at all.

I can lay my face against my reflector for my 400 with no discomfort, and can lay the palm of my hand on the 600 hood with no discomfort. I cool 1k watts of light with one 400cfm fan.

The key to a good tent setup is ventilation. I hope i have been a help to you. Good luck with your setup, as it's always a work in progress for most :)

B

BuddKlott

I've come to decide on a DR80 more than likely,

:banana: good call dude you won't regret it... except when you want to go bigger :ridinghorse:

anyway you can get a 250 or 400 in there easy, aim the fan so its between the bottom of the light and top of the canopy and that helps keep temps down - like wakenbake said:call

hubcap

hubcap

i def wouldnt start out with 1200W in a small tent.
just MY opinion....

start out with a GOOD basic set up. (one..1k....one 600W...something along those lines)
once, IF, temps are groovy, and you think you can add the wattage, i say go fer it mang. but i wouldnt rock 1.2k for a first run, when still trying to figure out a tent and IF its temps can stay controlled. this should be established first, cuz, one never knows.......
it'd be a bitch to look at a 1k collecting dust in the corner cuz ya cant cool it.

by all means, tho, if you feel you can keep it cool, like stated.....crank the dank man!

just another deep thought from jack handy.

M

Mr.Wakenbake

i def wouldnt start out with 1200W in a small tent.
just MY opinion....

start out with a GOOD basic set up. (one..1k....one 600W...something along those lines)
once, IF, temps are groovy, and you think you can add the wattage, i say go fer it mang. but i wouldnt rock 1.2k for a first run, when still trying to figure out a tent and IF its temps can stay controlled. this should be established first, cuz, one never knows.......
it'd be a bitch to look at a 1k collecting dust in the corner cuz ya cant cool it.

by all means, tho, if you feel you can keep it cool, like stated.....crank the dank man!

just another deep thought from jack handy.

i was by no means implying that he should be running 1600w in a small tent. I just gave it as an example as a way to quell his fears of heat thrown off by the reflectors. With a proper fan, cooling the lamps are easy to do.

Whatever wattage you choose to run, ensure that you have proper ventilation for it. Keep your ballast outside the tent if you can.

BTW tents freakin rock man....you gonna love it.

Caress of Steel

Caress of Steel

I love my Homeboxes. Never seen a Jardin. The zippers on the HB's are tough as nails, and what gets more work than the zippers. Steel frame is tough enough for my Sun System 2 and 6 in Vortex. I don't use a carbon scrubber though, and I'm guessing those are heavy so I wonder.

Top Bottom