Grow Tent

• Thread starter Gettnpacksin
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
OldPine

OldPine

Haha i just started running a hydrobay 4x8 a month ago. Was pleased with quality for sure. Ofc, i ripped a zipper today, my own fault really, im not near gentle on it

Oh man that sucks, Wyatt! Yeah, I had read on amazon that you need to be gentle(ish) on the zippers, so I've been nice to them so far. Not always easy to slow down and think, "ok, don't yank at these bitches" when I'm running around like a maniac getting things done. But hey...

I won't be surprised if I screw mine up at some point.

But, a great ten for 200 bucks, right?!

I should mention that the light leaks...at least on mine...are not any more substantial than on my friend's Secret Jardin. Just pinholes which are easily plugged up, though I haven't bothered to do so.

OldPine

OldPine

Id never consider a gorilla tent new, its insane $ and would build a room for cheaper.

Totally agree. Most of the time, a room build will be cheaper than a gorilla. Of course, the nice thing about tents is that they can be taken down and hidden away if absolutely necessary (or if moving).

Gorilla are certainly good quality but the height is its key benefit/appeal

Another great point for Packs to consider. The gorillas do have a clear height advantage. They have expansion kits to make them even taller. Unless I've missed them somewhere, no other tent competes on height...which could definitely come in handy for sativas, especially if you have them elevated off the floor at all.

That said, I've grown some stretchy sativa leaning hybrids in my hydrobay without too much trouble. Of course, this required a bit more training.

Gettnpacksin

Gettnpacksin

Nice heads-up on the milliard. I almost wen that route. Next time.
Just ordered the milliard 50x50 from Amazon along with 2 lasko clip fans, 15" Honeywell fan to blow upwards between the pots, and some other tent accessories ( light hooks, thermometer/hygrometer, timer, ph meter, ppm meter, and ph up/down)
Any recommendations for a 6" inline fan and carbon filter that's speed adjustable?

Recommendations on 600w mh and 600w hps bulbs? Good company?

GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
Yeah it's kind of impossible to not have light leaks from what I see. How can I fix the leaks? Forsay pin holes, can I just put like aluminum furnace tape over the holes from the inside? Sorry guys for so many noob questions I could probably just dig a little further in the forum to find my answers.
You can use rtv or roof tar and smear it in the holes.. its why i dont buy expensive tents.. its too easy to fix cheap ones

GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
Just ordered the milliard 50x50 from Amazon along with 2 lasko clip fans, 15" Honeywell fan to blow upwards between the pots, and some other tent accessories ( light hooks, thermometer/hygrometer, timer, ph meter, ppm meter, and ph up/down)
Any recommendations for a 6" inline fan and carbon filter that's speed adjustable?

Recommendations on 600w mh and 600w hps bulbs? Good company?
Dont buy a speed controller for a tent

ShroomKing

ShroomKing

Best of luck. Peace
Because I live in a high-density urban area I purchase my tents used ,off of Craigslist.
I usually pay less than $100 for any tent that I buy.
I usually try to buy Secret Jardens, as I found them to be very reliable tents.

I also drape my tents with panda film, this solves any light leak problems.

Best of luck .
Peace

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
Could you explain this? It's the first time I have heard to "not" buy one. Thanx

Reasons to buy one.

1.) Fan doesn't need to run at %100 all the time.

2.) Once dialed in the fan will draw less electricity.

3.) Will run quieter.

4.)If not exposed to heat above manufacturers recommended maximum. The lower speed should improve fan life (assuming your fan controller is good)

5.) Helps control negative pressure (for smell control, efficient air cycling or just to keep from imploding your tent).

6.) Helps control humidity spikes during lights out if the controller can slow to idle during the night period.

Maybe he said don't get one because

1.) If it's in the home. The house air would be regulated. While the tent would draw from that home air also expelling air into it.

2.) Or because people buy bad/cheap/low quality controllers ruining their fans.

Last edited:
OldPine

OldPine

I'm also curious why GT suggests no speed controller. Personally, I like to have them for my tents so I can get the negative pressure where I like it. If my fans were only on/off, I'd have to open way too many vents to balance the pressure properly.

@Gettnpacksin - of cousre Phresh and Can-Fan make a good filter, but they're really pricey.

Apollo makes a 6" fan with variable speed controller. Just checked amazon and it's $69. I have several of them and I'm happy with their performance. I also started using Vivosun charcoal filters. Tried them out on a recommendation from a friend. Also on amazon and you can get a 6" for just over $60. I'm thrilled with their performance; I honestly can't tell a smell difference between the Vivosun and the ones I used to use. I can't yet speak for their lifespan, but I can buy 2 for the price of a Phresh. At this point, I'd recommend checking them out.

OldPine

OldPine

Packs, I also meant to ask how you're planning on venting your exhaust. Are you planning on running your ducting outside or just into the room where the tent sits?

If outside, you'll probably want to spend a couple extra bucks per linear foot and get insulated ducting instead of just the regular aluminum. No point having your ductwork radiate hot air back into your space while you're in the process of venting it away.

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
Reasons to buy one.

1.) Fan doesn't need to run at %100 all the time.

2.) Once dialed in the fan will draw less electricity.

3.) Will run quieter.

4.)If not exposed to heat above manufacturers recommended maximum. The lower speed should improve fan life (assuming your fan controller is good)

5.) Helps control negative pressure (for smell control, efficient air cycling or just to keep from imploding your tent).

6.) Helps control humidity spikes during lights out if the controller can slow to idle during the night period.

Maybe he said don't get one because

1.) If it's in the home. The house air would be regulated. While the tent would draw from that home air also expelling air into it.

2.) Or because people buy bad/cheap/low quality controllers ruining their fans.

If you live in a non mj friendly state or are a renter then your fan probably runs all the time.

OrganicGanja

OrganicGanja

Go with Jardin or Gorilla if you can they all perform the same basic fucnctions some a bit tighter then others but I did buy a cheap ass one for like 150 a few years back and it was totally fine with floro and leds and shit but I put a 400 in once and less then a years later the milar reflective material was blistering and bubbling off the side walls and the water catch tray extra liner thing was weak as fuck so u still gonna need catch trays for run off if in dry pots. Tables buckets ebb and flo a thing like that's not a worrie but I did have to replace the lamenet flooring after that one lol.

GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
I'm also curious why GT suggests no speed controller. Personally, I like to have them for my tents so I can get the negative pressure where I like it. If my fans were only on/off, I'd have to open way too many vents to balance the pressure properly.

@Gettnpacksin - of cousre Phresh and Can-Fan make a good filter, but they're really pricey.

Apollo makes a 6" fan with variable speed controller. Just checked amazon and it's $69. I have several of them and I'm happy with their performance. I also started using Vivosun charcoal filters. Tried them out on a recommendation from a friend. Also on amazon and you can get a 6" for just over $60. I'm thrilled with their performance; I honestly can't tell a smell difference between the Vivosun and the ones I used to use. I can't yet speak for their lifespan, but I can buy 2 for the price of a Phresh. At this point, I'd recommend checking them out.
Thats why i like them at full blast... to get the most negative pressure possible... then run the room like a lung with dehumidifier

JSmokes420

JSmokes420

Hey Packs - I've got a gorilla and a Hydrobay. Bought the gorilla first, and I've been impressed with pretty much every feature, especially how impervious it is to light. I then bought a Hydrobay off amazon and did this because I didn't need total darkness since the tent was going in a room that I could completely close off.

I was shocked to see that the Hydrobay was decent quality. Far exceeded my expectations. Again, I didn't need the quality of the gorilla. I'll probably never buy a gorilla in the future. The hydrobay was $199.99 for 48"x96"x80".

Does it leak light? Yes.

But, it does share some of the same features as a gorilla. Lots and lots of ports. Nice strong metal frame (though I wouldn't try using it for monkey bars), good reflective material all around, the tent material is a nice thickness, and there is a full floor tray that doesn't flop over like some of the brands.

Worth a look for your needs, maybe?

Hydrobay is awesome!!! I had a 4x8 I could do pull ups on. It was so strong, good zippers, and very minimal light leaks(easy fix with liquid tape). I would highly recommend. My buddy is still using that one I gave him 2 yrs later

W

WyattHerbz

I run a speed controller, im in a garage so used it to controller heat during day, now its useful in sudden cold chill we got. Even with 2ks in mine i crank to way low to keep temps good. Also to adjust the humidity, gotta figure that one out. As soon as lights are off, the fans still low and humidity was pretty high this am. Rig a way to adjust that

Top Bottom