growing in 95 degree heat

• Thread starter caregiverken
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
D

Dankroom

I'm here in eastern wa. and typical summer temps range from80's to 110*f. I have a "Psuedo" green house ( more for privacy then real application). Raised beds, double watering as needed and a cover during peak heat and no issues here.

Headshot
IMG00316 20110810 1948
Septme
NaturalTherapy

NaturalTherapy

Lighthouse
Supporter
It seems to me that heat is a mostly factor where air circulation is minimal, so it matters little outdoors so long as your roots are in an optimal environment.

D

Dryland Farmer

It has been running 94 here for weeks, starting to hit 100 now. My plants get no water. They do not thrive but adapt and survive. Hoping for some killer bud.

I have had an inquiry via PM as to how these plants did. I can't PM so I will write the update here.

The plants survived and budded. They are still hanging, but the ones I have stripped produced 1 oz. each. I am happy, they are good smoke and no mold.

My 95 plant coastal plantation did not do so well, mold and deer moved in at male rouging time. I figure I lost about 85% . That is OK, all my work is experimental. I still have many lbs of smoke and it was not a good year to be marketing meds in CA this year.

F

FromGROtoFLO

Anything over 90 is questionable - I've had chocolopes hermie in 95 degree. Was devastating.

fractal

fractal

I grew outdoors in redding 2 years ago and everything turned out spectacular with over 100 degree temps from august to october. Just kept them watered well, I remember the last hottest day was 117. The plants yielded the best weed ever I took some back to arcata and everyone thought it was indoor, so dense and frosty. I think high heat is good as long as the plants get plenty of water, obviously strain dependent though.

G

Grow2BFree

I agree, very strain dependent. Water is VERY important.

One strain I have I named Candy is weird and does not like to be in the direct hot sun, it yellows and stresses out and makes airy grassy buds, while putting it in sunny areas of the woods where much of their light is filtered and also gets shade at certain hours, produced spectacular results with dense buds and hydro-like flavor and almost as potent as hydro.

Another strain I have likes full sun, gets big and grows fast.

Either way, I find that having the plant in moist soil so it doesn't need watering as much really helps, but having it raised so it doesn't flood was how I beat the heat. I grow in swamps by making a small hill or dirt pile on the shore of the swamp that peninsulas into the swamp by digging a large hole either in the swamp, on the shore, or both, and use that dirt to build up the large pile, going into the swamp on the very edge, so when the heavy rains come and raise the swamp water level, it doesn't get flooded, but because the dirt pile is raised, and you don't have to water it because the dirt pile is always moist from sitting in the swamp. I put potting soil in the center of the pile at the top, so it has good dirt instead of the swamp dirt, but the nutes from the swamp water and dirt will still get in, and I don't get yellow leaves much. Cover it all up with leaves to blend it in to the environment.

ttystikk

ttystikk

Either way, I find that having the plant in moist soil so it doesn't need watering as much really helps, but having it raised so it doesn't flood was how I beat the heat. I grow in swamps by making a small hill or dirt pile on the shore of the swamp that peninsulas into the swamp by digging a large hole either in the swamp, on the shore, or both, and use that dirt to build up the large pile, going into the swamp on the very edge, so when the heavy rains come and raise the swamp water level, it doesn't get flooded, but because the dirt pile is raised, and you don't have to water it because the dirt pile is always moist from sitting in the swamp. I put potting soil in the center of the pile at the top, so it has good dirt instead of the swamp dirt, but the nutes from the swamp water and dirt will still get in, and I don't get yellow leaves much. Cover it all up with leaves to blend it in to the environment.

Now this is fascinating to me; you could grow nearly anything like this, with next to no attention and still have good results.

In Mexico City they grow on the lake in a similar fashion; they've built up islands out of the lakebed, keep boat channels in between, and not only does everything stay well watered, but when it starts getting cold the water channels keep the islands from freezing, protecting their crops.

There is archealogical evidence that some of the ancient New World natives (no one is quite sure who) did something similar, by creating a complex network of penninsulas, channels and so on that not only provided them with freeze resistant agriculture, but also aquaculture since they raised fish in the channels!

below frigid

below frigid

I am in the southern Monterey County by near Lake San Antonio. Plenty hot most summers. I have grown many strains some indica dom and some sativa. I have also grown many fems as well. I think as long as they get plenty of water I have not had a problem. Fems from many different breeders and never had any herm or go mail on me. last two summers were on the cool side hight 80s to low 90's most days with only a few days braking the century mark. I made 200 gallon smart pots and set them half way down in big holes with about 6 inches of space from the sides so they could breath. Worked great. Some of the sativa doms upper leaves would taco a little when it got real hot. Normal summers are high 90's and 100's every day July and August.

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
Does anyone know where to buy single Groasis Growboxx's.
The Mfgr only sells. 10 @ a time????
This thing can grow a tree in the Saharra!
A dessert guerrilla growers dream if they work.

This photos not working for me. And I couldn't find anything in a search

Now you have me curious I wanna check those out

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
Does anyone know where to buy single Groasis Growboxx's.
The Mfgr only sells. 10 @ a time????
This thing can grow a tree in the Saharra!
A dessert guerrilla growers dream if they work.

Thanks Canna
Very interesting
The Groasis waterboxx is an 'intelligent water incubator' that produces and captures water from the air through condensation and rain. The condensation is caused by artificial stimulation and the water is captured because of the design of the device, without using
energy.

The Groasis waterboxx makes it possible to plant trees or bushes on rocks, on mountains, in gardens, in ashes of recently burned woods, eroded areas or deserts or any other place, without the help of irrigation with a 100% planting result. In moderate climates the Groasis waterboxx causes 15 to 30% faster growth and thus more biomass. The Groasis waterboxx offers the possibility to make more money with trees or bushes through food, fruit, nuts, wood, extracts, medicines, oils and many other economically interesting products.

those sound good.

gonna watch the Youtube videos now

http://m.youtube.com/results?gl=US&client=mv-google&hl=en&q=Groasis&submit=Search

SCARHOLE

SCARHOLE

It won Popular Science Mags invention of the year 2010.

We need to get a grow shop in the dessart areas to buy a batch!
I'd try a few, but 10 is to rich for me...

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
It won Popular Science Mags invention of the year 2010.

We need to get a grow shop in the dessart areas to buy a batch!
I'd try a few, but 10 is to rich for me...

Me 2

B

Bluenote

Where I'm at we got hardpan & if there's good dirt the gofers r there.. So I grow in the biggest pots I can afford.. That's y I need 2 water 2-3 times a day during the summer mega heat waves...

Fresno county Caliche' , good for making adobe bricks and not much else , the damn moles need dynamite to get through it some times of the year and there's so little nourishment plants have to pack a lunch.

The Valley isn't much better on the north end in some places , goes from good loam to red clay that reminds me of Okla or Georgia at the drop of a hat , crap is like growing in a clay pot with no drainage in some places. Of course the flip side is that there are some locations close to the Sacto river where you could spit on the ground and something would grow. Then when you get up around Lassen with all the volcanic soil , there's a reason there are pockets of commercial ag up in that high valley around Hat Creek , some pretty large Mint growers for the spearmint oil market , some of whom dabble in this and have quite a lot of worthwhile info. I'm getting ready to go up for a weekend and help a friend and his wife prep forty acres for their Amaranth experiment , their various berries will start really yielding this year and they are going to do a full five acres of various Basil this year , along with of course the usual outdoor.

What's *really* weird this year is the weather , I was up there between Xmas and New years and they still hadn't had snow and it was 70 damn degrees , in Dec around Burney for crying out loud. Don't know if we will get a true winter. But then last year the big rains hit in May and screwed a lot of folks up.

B

Bluenote

7 plus foot Pineapple Trainwreck guerillaed into an olive tree ( 12 gallon pot) deep on a 110 degree august afternoon.

Picture 017

Latest posts

Top Bottom