Growing in blue lights

• Thread starter Nirrity
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
R

Reeferman

I was included on research with the terpene / thc I can attest that high of different strains in exclusively related to terpene - thc ratio's .
Thc without terpene is totally different a % of terpenes are very specific to certain highs and side effects both positive and negative .
Reef

B

British_Hempire

Most terpenoids are carotenoids and if you look at a photosynthetic response curve you'll see that the carotenoids are stimulated by blue light in the 400-500nm range, with the strongest responses at 440 and 465nm. I did some experiments with LED lighting and can attest to the fact that if you give a cannabis plant more blue light in flowering it does increase the terpenoid levels, I had a tiny Cheese plant that was only a foot tall with a foot square canopy and I had to chop it after 30 days of flowering because it stank so bad you'd have thought I had a whole roomful of Cheese in full flower, it nearly got me bust so I will make sure I have a better location before I do anymore experiments with blue light! It was quite amazing how great a volume of odour was emitted by this one tiny plant, I've grown Cheese many times,and while it is a stinker, the one I grew in my blue light experiment was several degrees higher on the stench scale.

C06 06
N

Nirrity

Great info British_Hempire on your experiment! It's sad you have to cull early It would be really interesting to see how it smoke if growing with blue to full potential.
My idea is to use UV-B/UV-A/blue not a sole blue. HPS has most output around 560-620nm while both chlorophyll a and chlorophyll b need something around 650nm where HPS really sucks.

B

British_Hempire

I'm not sure UV would be very useful as there is so little response below 400nm. I used 440nm and 470nm blue LEDs alongside red and white, they were mostly red with a few whites, and blues, but the ratio of blue light was much much higher than with fluoros or HPS/MH.

I did leave the Mexican cut I also did the experiment with all the way to harvest and that had much stronger smell/taste than when run under HPS, so I think more blue light does stimulate greater production of terpenoids but I would need to do more experiments before being certain.

N

Nirrity

had much stronger smell/taste than when run under HPS

Aside of smell/taste did you notice any difference in high? That's my main question of the thread. Only Jk share his experience on that particular aspect, but that was back on reefermanseeds.com...

:handshake

B

British_Hempire

I don't think the high was affected, this is probably because the ratios of terpenoids remained the same, just the quantity increased, I think it is the blend of terpenes that creates the particular nature of the effect.

N

Nirrity

Thanks British_Hempire!
I really miss the Reeferman's thoughts on high department. I think he can easily compare equator buds with indoor HPS buds. If there is no difference in high, perhaps I just fell in illusions about UV-B/UV-A/blue :)

R

Reeferman

The highs on equator buds are more alive and vibrant than indoor buds , the crystal is way more deep and sticky and the flavor is much more alive and coats your mouth the buds we grew in the tropics were tops in tokes both in bag appeal and buzz !
The indica's were couch locked to the max and the sativa's would blast you off like nothing grown under HID lights .
The buzz from tropic buds is like the difference between heirloom carrots grown in your own garden with love and commercial farm produced 2lb crap for 3 cents a lb from a no name retail outlet !
I would rather grow in green houses than any other way infact I hate growing with HID lights .
I really don't like growing indoors at all and I really hate germinating less than 500 seeds of any 1 strain because the potential that lies in any variety can never be found unless you can select from 1000 plants or more 500 minimum !
Reeferman

N

Nirrity

That was a right time to read your post Reeferman:) Just smoked Accidental Haze, and that looks like the best 2009 post. I hear you, but sometimes people live almost near the poles rather than equator, so, regarding nature and secure issues Cannabis can only be grown indoors there (like russian north or scandinavia). Since I believe that the Real Crown of Cannabis is Her effect, my main concern to grow buds that resembles outdor experience!

B

British_Hempire

I have a Mexican that when i smoked it in Mexico it made me have auditory hallucinations and was perhaps the only time I got so high and paranoid that I wished i wasn't so high! Under lights back in the UK it's still a powerful high but nowhere near the mind warper it was grown in the Yucatan.

N

Nirrity

that's what I'm talking about - indoor high is potent but more tame, outdoor buds usually so involving you forget about real world, all the troubles fading away, you reconnect with universum and the very essence of yourself feels harmonized and completed, it's like constant warm happy flow.

B

British_Hempire

I think it's just not possible to replicate the sun indoors, maybe it will be possible before too long as technology improves. There are probably some other factors at play too, besides the wide spectrum of the sun.

N

Nirrity

basicly I feel it's UV-B becasue of a simple thing: in nature the most stoney pot grow in areas rich in UV, like mountains (hindukush) or equator. HPS imho actually far more yellow than 'red' and simple overall. OK it's all just a speculation, but we'll see...

C

Charles Xavier

Greetings Nirrity

Most scientific minds are only satisfied upon self-discovery; with this in mind I'll keep my comment brief, as I believe conviction is borne from experience.

UV is only a small part; it's the overall 'stress' of outdoor cultivation, including the competition among plants and the interaction between them within the construct of specific environs, that creates the difference in affect.

Sincerely,
Charles.

B

British_Hempire

Good post Charles, I agree completely that it is the myriad small stresses and the complex interactions with other organisms that all contribute, you can't reproduce nature indoors.

When I discussed UV with Sam S we talked about Highland Nepalese plants and their uplifting cerebral effects. I asked him if he thought that the higher UV levels at altitude were the reason for this and he said no, that it was genetic and if you took those same genetics and grew them at sea level the effect would be of the same cerebral nature.

N

Nirrity

Cultivating plants usually has the most sweet matters, so no real competition since all unnecessary plants removed completely.

I don't say NN growing at sea level will have couchlock high, I say it will (possibly) have less FUNKY high, at least if grown indoors.

J

Jalisco Kid

I feel that growing sat leaning plants indoors without uvb is is like the difference between bubble and dry sift. They both work but one is a better smoke. I have nothing to guage this by but 20 years of smoking but I can feel the difference in my oax. under uvb and without. Of course it could be my sub-conscious justifying the cost and time. JK

N

Nirrity

Of course it could be my sub-conscious justifying the cost and time. JK

That is my fear as well. It is the main reason I started the thread. It's very nice Reeferman share his experience so straightly. I think I'll try 13000K MH only grow to see for myslef is it possible to reach outdoor quality indoor

B

British_Hempire

The best way to determine if UV is of benefit is to grow two cuts of the same plant outdoors under plastic, put one under plastic that blocks UV and the other under the special plastic that passes UV, treat them the same, then compare the resin production and quality and the nature of the highs.

N

Nirrity

yes it's the best way for sure, but such experience can only be evaluated by a person who live in equator/tropics. Sadly, I'm not that kind of person.

Top Bottom