Growing in open

• Thread starter Frankster
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
Autoflowers, they are a gift from the heavens. If your growing a plant in the "open" please share.

I think this is what's going to bring cannabis growing into the mainstream, because anyone can do it, you don't need a bunch of specialized equipment or area, it can even be done one or two plants at a time. Photoperiod 12/12 routines are best suited for the expert growers that have many more resources, sufficient "dedicated" area or perhaps for the outdoor grower who has sufficiently long and dry "harvest" season.

Growing in open
Growing in open 2
BigCube

BigCube

I mean, $5 in panda and you could run regular seeds. 🤣

Dont see many open grows these days. Good job!

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
I mean, $5 in panda and you could run regular seeds. 🤣

Dont see many open grows these days. Good job!
I'm growing regular seeds (photoperiods) in another room actually, this is trying to do something different. Laugh all you want buddy, these are the kind of grows that will become widespread in the years to come.

Auto's are the future, irregardless if it's not going to become a commercial endeavor or not, (or regardless of what old school growers think) people will continue to adopt these sort of strains into the mainstream, just like LED lighting that was scoffed at 10 years ago.

Some of these new stuff are rumored to get 1KG per plant. Especially the White Widow Auto, In addition to that I'm doing GG#4 auto, Purple Haze auto and Miss Early.

The starts there are my Purple Kush auto. I got some photoperiods vegging in there, regular photoperiod White Widow, Animal cookies, Grape Ape, probably some Moster Mass, Green Crack, ATF, Skwurl Killer, Sour Diesel cookies, MedUSA and a few others.

Last edited:
BigCube

BigCube

I'm growing regular seeds (photoperiods) in another room actually, this is trying to do something different. Laugh all you want buddy, these are the kind of grows that will become widespread in the years to come.

Auto's are the future, irregardless if it's not going to become a commercial endeavor or not, people will adopt these sort of strains into the mainstream, just like LED lighting that was scoffed at 10 years ago.

I wasn't laughing at you man. I also seriously doubt it will become widespread. It's been done for years and hasn't caught on yet.

For the sake of cannabis growers worldwide, I hope you're wrong. Autos are just inferior. But honestly I'm not that worried, us growers as a whole will never get rid of photoperiod. And I keep my own genetics.

Have fun doing whatever it is you enjoy, I wasn't laughing at you or your plant. Just pointing out that it can easily be done with photoperiod.

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
I wasn't laughing at you man. I also seriously doubt it will become widespread. It's been done for years and hasn't caught on yet.

For the sake of cannabis growers worldwide, I hope you're wrong. Autos are just inferior. But honestly I'm not that worried, us growers as a whole will never get rid of photoperiod. And I keep my own genetics.

Have fun doing whatever it is you enjoy, I wasn't laughing at you or your plant. Just pointing out that it can easily be done with photoperiod.
I think there's room within the cannabis community for both to find a place among growers. But I do think they're extremely underrated at the moment much like new things that come along often are, once the potency (which is already getting there) and the outputs gm/m2 become equivalent across the board, I can't see much holding them back, apart from the time it will take for different terpene profiles to be bred into the lineage. They've certainly come a long way in the past decade, so I don't see that slowing down anytime soon.

For me, it's all about being able to get them to harvest quicker. If I can do a plant from start to finish in 70-90 days from seed to harvest and not have to depend upon waiting until the end of the season, (or inducing it with 12/12 hours) that changes everything in my eyes. These I've been developing, seem to grow much thicker and resinous than any photoperiod I've grown outside under similar challenging light conditions. (ie. a typical back yard) It certainly makes sense to me from an evolutionary standpoint, as these types have developed a very special mechanism of flowering that the photoperiods are simply incapable of achieving.

It's simply a matter of more generation of breeding.

BigCube

BigCube

I think there's room within the cannabis community for both to find a place among growers. But I do think they're extremely underrated at the moment much like new things that come along often are, once the potency (which is already getting there) and the outputs gm/m2 become equivalent across the board, I can't see much holding them back, apart from the time it will take for different terpene profiles to be bred into the lineage. They've certainly come a long way in the past decade, so I don't see that slowing down anytime soon.

For me, it's all about being able to get them to harvest quicker. If I can do a plant from start to finish in 70-90 days from seed to harvest and not have to depend upon waiting until the end of the season, (or inducing it with 12/12 hours) that changes everything in my eyes. These I've been developing, seem to grow much thicker and resinous than any photoperiod I've grown outside under similar challenging light conditions. (ie. a typical back yard) It certainly makes sense to me from an evolutionary standpoint, as these types have developed a very special mechanism of flowering that the photoperiods are simply incapable of achieving.

It's simply a matter of more generation of breeding.

I agree, there is room in the industry. But then again, I believe there is room in every industry for another product.

They have come a long way, but see what you're doing there? "Getting there" where as "there" is something we already have, and have for years.

A photoperiod in 12/12 from seed will be just as fast as any auto. Start your seedlings on 12/12 or flip them after only 2 weeks. Auto isnt any faster, it just flowers on it's own.

I personally dont see any utility in auto.
Too many down sides and not a single benefit. For me.

I actually think it the opposite, autos have become massivle over rated. They arent as good, and it's mostly new growers running them. I say mostly, I know some experienced growers do grow auto on the side for fun. But for the most part it's an oddity. As for industry, I highly doubt growers are going to sprout hundreds of seeds every time they want to plant a crop. They hold fast to their genetics, they clone exclusively, and want as much control as they can get over their product. Autos are smaller, less potent, prone to herm, and cant be cloned or kept as a mother. All down sides for industry.

I'm not saying you shouldn't run them, I'm saying I (and most experienced growers I know) never will. They represent a step backward. And present a whole host of issues like possible governmental control over genetics.

Anyways, good talk! Back to work for me 🤣

growsince79

growsince79

I agree, there is room in the industry. But then again, I believe there is room in every industry for another product.

They have come a long way, but see what you're doing there? "Getting there" where as "there" is something we already have, and have for years.

A photoperiod in 12/12 from seed will be just as fast as any auto. Start your seedlings on 12/12 or flip them after only 2 weeks. Auto isnt any faster, it just flowers on it's own.

🤣
Some photos can finish as fast as autos. But some might take up to 6 months under 12-12. But I agree photos pollute the gene pool. In 20 years people will wish they still had today's genetics. Just say no to fems and autos.

BigCube

BigCube

Some photos can finish as fast as autos. But some might take up to 6 months under 12-12. But I agree photos pollute the gene pool. In 20 years people will wish they still had today's genetics. Just say no to fems and autos.

I've never had a strain flower over 12 weeks. Most will do it in 8. I dont think autos grow any faster. They just dont veg for long.

Most of us photoperiod growers veg to fill our environments. I personally would much rather grow 1 large plant, than 4 small ones. Specially with the Canadian 4 plant limit.

You're probably right about 20 years from now. As we are now about 20 years ago 🤣 at least we see it coming now, gurd yer loins me matey!

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter

I actually think it the opposite, autos have become massivle over rated. They arent as good, and it's mostly new growers running them. I say mostly, I know some experienced growers do grow auto on the side for fun. But for the most part it's an oddity. As for industry, I highly doubt growers are going to sprout hundreds of seeds every time they want to plant a crop. They hold fast to their genetics, they clone exclusively, and want as much control as they can get over their product. Autos are smaller, less potent, prone to herm, and cant be cloned or kept as a mother. All down sides for industry.

I'm not saying you shouldn't run them, I'm saying I (and most experienced growers I know) never will. They represent a step backward. And present a whole host of issues like possible governmental control over genetics.

Anyways, good talk! Back to work for me 🤣

Yes, downside for the industry for sure, (commercial growers) that's why they'll never be a "commercial" product, except perhaps for someone planting a field of them for the CBD content. (possibly) But for the newer grower as you say, and there are quite literally millions of these "novice" new growers out there, or people that struggle with growing the more difficult genetics, this provides an inroad, an opportunity to grow a years worth of supply in a single spot under less than desirable conditions.

The auto's I've developed, (I can't speak for much of the many other strains out there) I've started working on, specifically my Purple Kush auto in particular, is really an excellent producer under low light conditions, whereas, before we were growing photoperiods outside in a spot (in the city) that didn't have optimal sunlight. I've seen several crops in that exact spot, my friend has grown over the years, the buds are always light and fluffy, not much resin production, pretty much bushweed with a lower level high to it. You know what I mean, and I've given him many varieties of photo's over the years for that spot, and I've never seen anything standout or do anything I would consider worthwhile. Until this season.

This year, I gave him 5 or 6 of my auto's the same group that I started with this year. All the ones that were "extras" that I didn't need/want, or were somewhat behind and wanted to get rid of them. Those plants turned out simply AMAZING, by far the best crop the man has done to date (and he says the best he's ever done), and that's including all the years of growing he did in Hawaii as a younger man. I was kinda in disbelief to hear this, but the plants do look amazing, I'll post some pictures in the coming weeks.

I'm counting on that little guy, who wants to save himself some money, and not be chained to the dispensary for (all of) his cannabis. The guy with limited options, and has a small discrete spot (often in the city) that doesn't always have the best sunlight/conditions or might be exposed to neighbor's lights, or the light that permeates an urban skyline at night. Backyards, patio's and balconies in the city. There are simply millions of the types of people who will settle for a little less potency, over the benefit of thicker more resinous buds under somewhat challenging conditions. I'm 100% sure of it.

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
I don't understand this concept of "pollute" the genetics, if anything it simply diversify's them, nothing more. There are over 10k strains, and a photo will always be a photo no matter what, and autoflowering traits are genome recessive. I think this argument reflects an ignorance of how genetics traits are passed along...

BurnzYzBudZz

BurnzYzBudZz

HOWCan.i.helPYOU?
Supporter
I don't understand this concept of "pollute" the genetics, if anything it simply diversify's them, nothing more. There are over 10k strains, and a photo will always be a photo no matter what, and autoflowering traits are genome recessive. I think this argument reflects an ignorance of how genetics traits are passed along...
Tell us. How are the genetic traits in cannabis “passed along”. I’d like to know.

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
Tell us. How are the genetic traits in cannabis “passed along”. I’d like to know.
Well they've got to be mated to one another, if there going to "pollute" something, how does that occur when it's not exposed to it? I'm sure there's plenty of seed stocks where the seed-lines remain fairly distinct and isolated, and anything not worthwhile is usually ignored and dies off, so it's more a lesson in what's appealing to be "recreated" and what's not worthwhile usually dies off, and is forgotten.

Photo's are generally propagated by clone for uniformity, consistency convenience of cloning the same thing over an over, so I just don't get where your going with that? or how it interferes with the maintenance of a mother plant? From what kind of source are you getting your photoperiods from?

Maybe it's a sourcing problem?

BigCube

BigCube

Well they've got to be mated to one another, if there going to "pollute" something, how does that occur when it's not exposed to it? I'm sure there's plenty of seed stocks where the seed-lines remain fairly distinct and isolated, and anything not worthwhile is usually ignored and dies off, so it's more a lesson in what's appealing to be "recreated" and what's not worthwhile usually dies off, and is forgotten.

Photo's are generally propagated by clone for uniformity, consistency convenience of cloning the same thing over an over, so I just don't get where your going with that? or how it interferes with the maintenance of a mother plant? From what kind of source are you getting your photoperiods from?

Maybe it's a sourcing problem?

I believe he's referring to the fact that once you introduce the autoflowering gene to a gene pool, you'll never get it back out.

Many of these autoflower only strains are taking the place of strains that arent "polluted" with auto flower genes. There are already several people who found out they had autoflowering plants though they wernt advertised as such. And vice versa. It's already happening. People buy seeds thinking they spec out nice, only to learn later they are automatic seeds.

I honestly dont think autos will pollute the gene pool that much. They are gimmicky, unstable and mostly only grown by newbies. As such are mostly a fad for newer growers who dont know any better, thinking they are getting the latest and greatest.
Then finding out autos are the absolute worst seeds for a beginner to start with. Hell even some skilled growers have problems with their shitty genetics.

All while not being as good an end product by any measure, as regular photoperiod cannabis. I believe it's more for these "breeders". So they can quickly toss out a crappy cross, charge 10$ or more a seed for them.

Meh, it's all moot to me. As I said, I'll never grow auto. I keep my own genetics, and IDGAF what other people do.

I'm just against them cause I can see it being used as a means to control genetics. All the government has to do is say "only automatic seeds are legal to sell". Then we are stuck with shit genetics, no way to legally clone or keep your own untainted genetics.
Forced to pay for shit genetics over and over again. And we pretty much handed them the means to do it.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. There is no situation that is not bad planning, poor effort or down right laziness, where an auto offers anything good to the prospect of growing cannabis.

As far as I can tell auto's only real use, is for people who cant plan a grow.

But as I said, its moot to me. Cause I'll never grow one.

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
I believe he's referring to the fact that once you introduce the autoflowering gene to a gene pool, you'll never get it back out.

Many of these autoflower only strains are taking the place of strains that arent "polluted" with auto flower genes. There are already several people who found out they had autoflowering plants though they wernt advertised as such. And vice versa. It's already happening. People buy seeds thinking they spec out nice, only to learn later they are automatic seeds.

I honestly dont think autos will pollute the gene pool that much. They are gimmicky, unstable and mostly only grown by newbies. As such are mostly a fad for newer growers who dont know any better, thinking they are getting the latest and greatest.
Then finding out autos are the absolute worst seeds for a beginner to start with. Hell even some skilled growers have problems with their shitty genetics.

All while not being as good an end product by any measure, as regular photoperiod cannabis. I believe it's more for these "breeders". So they can quickly toss out a crappy cross, charge 10$ or more a seed for them.

Meh, it's all moot to me. As I said, I'll never grow auto. I keep my own genetics, and IDGAF what other people do.

I'm just against them cause I can see it being used as a means to control genetics. All the government has to do is say "only automatic seeds are legal to sell". Then we are stuck with shit genetics, no way to legally clone or keep your own untainted genetics.
Forced to pay for shit genetics over and over again. And we pretty much handed them the means to do it.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. There is no situation that is not bad planning, poor effort or down right laziness, where an auto offers anything good to the prospect of growing cannabis.

As far as I can tell auto's only real use, is for people who cant plan a grow.

But as I said, its moot to me. Cause I'll never grow one.

I get it. I grew up with a few people who've been growing for 30+ years now, (all over the United States) and I've been seriously doing it for about 10+, so I still consider myself somewhat new to the game, but I also bring my college background in inorganic/organic/bio chemistry into the mix, also my microbiology background and lots of science. That said, there's a general order to things in the cannabis industry and people have been doing things for awhile now, so there understandably set in their ways.

You don't get good at doing this shit by constantly changing things that work for you, and cloning is one of those tenets, I fully get it.

Unscrupulous seed vendors are not going to go away either, the cannabis industry is filled with people who've worked, put themselves in harms way sometimes, and done all sorts of things to get were there at in the industry, and make something for themselves. (ie. labor of love for the plant) It's also filled with scam artist who want to make nothing more than a quick buck. It's not a forgiving environment, when you can lose everything, when things can and do go wrong, one only needs to look at someone like subcool how these things can play out, getting locked up for years, only to finally make it, and then having it all taken back again by a fire and a woman. The industry is set in its ways, and people are slow to change.

But it is ripe to be disrupted every now and again, and things like LED lighting and auto's have shook up the industry in ways that are controversial at best, but also groundbreaking in many ways. Opening up different ways of doing things, but also causing some mayhem in other parts of the industry. But yet, autos are sill in there infancy yet, not even scratching the surface of their full potential.

Yea, if you get some seed stock, and you don't know exactly were it came from, or trust who's sending it too you there's always room for problems there. (That's why I've got my photoperiod genetics from vastly different sources, some have panned out, others not so well) Most of the growers I've known in the early years only grew one specific strain for ever and ever, until they had an alternative that they actually had done there homework on, ie(growing it out at small scale, to see what they have) not just throwing some seeds in a hole and calling it a day, then blaming others for their misfortunes when things didn't turn out as they expected.

I seen this playing out with my vendor who sells much of my seeds. He was getting shit from other vendors who were unreliable and they were ruining his business, (some not bad genetics, just bad propagation rates, or unreliable results) I pulled him up and told him he's got to get some QA in place, because people won't come back after a bad experience, (he in return sent me all of their genetic seed lines, and told me to get to work) as repeat (customers) are the key to success. He's mostly taken that to heart and his business is booming. People want seeds that pop 9/10 times, big spouts, and strong genetics, it's that simple. They want and expect nothing less.

I've got genetics from reputable companies, and when I challenge them about puny results, they won't even return my emails, (after sending them several hundred dollars) so it's a really mixed bag out there right now. But one thing I know for sure, with each generation I grow, the weed keeps getting better/stronger/bigger, as I continue to cross more photoperiods genetics into a stable autoflower.

Last edited:
Oa.ahhu

Oa.ahhu

Supporter
I grew a tree in my bedroom, I accidentally overgrew it so moving it wasn't possible. I had a 120g raised bed and 1750w of hps 👍

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
Would never do that again btw, my sleeping schedule got super dicked up.
Could you see "the light" when you went to sleep at night?

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
Yes the light ran during the coolest part of the day, so yes I could see it when i wasn't sleeping at night.
LOL, I've got some growing in my living room, but I've got blinders put on the lights so it's not so bad, but the rooms always a purple color for the most part. I think it does keep me up a some, but I'm an insomniac regardless for many decades now. I'm retired now, but I usually go to sleep at about 6am when the sun comes up.

Oa.ahhu

Oa.ahhu

Supporter
LOL, I've got some growing in my living room, but I've got blinders put on the lights so it's not so bad, but the rooms always a purple color for the most part.
It was like having a sun and a half lol, the plants loved it though. The room was very bright with the lights all in one corner too .

Top Bottom