Growing Trees In 15g Of Coco- Feedback Appreciated

• Thread starter Chemist420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Chemist420

Chemist420

Hello and thank you for taking the time to give this a read. I'll break down the scenario and any feedback would be much appreciated. I know I'll probably get lots of 'what a dumbass' type comments and it is what it is. Sooooo, I started out a number of a bubba varietal in some 2.5g coco. Because of my time schedule, I've decided to drop them into larger pots....15g to be exact. I'm aware of the fact that such a large amount of coco is not optimal, but I have another 4 weeks to veg them before they will be flipped. Im running an 80/20 coco perilite mix and have been feeding them botanicares cns17 grow, a local cold processed seaweed, bio root, grozyme and calmag.

After the transplant, I pulled all the branches out, staked and tied, and basically splayed the plants wide open. I do regular foilar feeds and cycle between seaweed, calcium 25, diluted EM, and compost tea. So after a week in the big pots they've shot up about 10-12 inches and are filling out nicely. I haven't noticed any deficiencies yet. I started by feeding a small amount, then letting them dry, then fed a bit more the next time round and so on. They seem to be taking to the pots nicely and my hopes is that in four more weeks they will be monstrous. I'm not limited by space or height, so that's a non issue. I received a full line of the canna coco products and will be switching over come flower time.

Now comes my questions...what kind of problems am I going to be facing? I don't run a drip feed system or anything like that and will be hand watering...what kind of watering schedule would be optimal as such..daily or every couple? Should I start out at full str on the canna line? Am I absolutely screwed? Thanks again, and any feedback will be appreciated. (I'll post some pics soon!)

Wildill

Wildill

You want be facing any problems I'm trying something similar except I'm in to gallon smarts I'm using Cns17 also I transplanted from 1 gallon pots and also did some from 16oz party cups I feed every other day I also hand water one gallon each later in flower I will bump it to two gallons. How do you water I feed feed water. I recommend you do the same to prevent salt build up I would start half strength with nutes. Your plants will tell you what they need

Chemist420

Chemist420

Alrighty, here's some pics as promised...had some humidity and crawly issues in the beginning, but think I figured it out.

These are the ladies in 2.5g

These are them after getting on the foilar program and being situated in their new homes for awhile. Approx. 5.5 weeks old with 3.5 or so to go...

Here's a better look at one

mittenmedgrow

mittenmedgrow

Looking good. I run the canna at 1.8 to 2.2 in flower with large plants. By the time you flip those they should be pretty good sized and drinking every few days. Kinda hard to judge size in the photos without seeing stalk thickness.

covertgrow

covertgrow

Hey chemist420 its like this u want to water your coco everyday make sure there's holes for runoff I have been doing this for years and idk about your nutes but me and my buddys get hella monster ass grows with coco u can make coco as hard or simple as u want we have a channel that might help u out on youTube called Grow Pot Cheaply its a start to finish everything u wish to no I grow with just a one part system on nutes u can see for yourself the results just using flora nova bloom cal mag plus and waterin everyday don't let them go a day with no water coco has a 20 percent hold of oxygen and u can't over water before anyone says any diff check out my channel (Grow Pot Cheaply)

mittenmedgrow

mittenmedgrow

Hey chemist420 its like this u want to water your coco everyday make sure there's holes for runoff I have been doing this for years and idk about your nutes but me and my buddys get hella monster ass grows with coco u can make coco as hard or simple as u want we have a channel that might help u out on youTube called Grow Pot Cheaply its a start to finish everything u wish to no I grow with just a one part system on nutes u can see for yourself the results just using flora nova bloom cal mag plus and waterin everyday don't let them go a day with no water coco has a 20 percent hold of oxygen and u can't over water before anyone says any diff check out my channel (Grow Pot Cheaply)
Not going to checkout your channel but I do agree for the most part. I see better growth with large plants in small pots. I'm talking 2 to 3 pounders in 10 gals. Watered twice a day but you can absolutely over water coco. At least straight canna coco you can.

covertgrow

covertgrow

Well its absolutely a great channel if u wanna no almost everything to no aboutgrowin in coco I only use cocotek coco but it holds an o2 percent of 20 and is a form of hydroponic growing just like a dwc tank with perfect air stones it would have to be a monsoon to overwater it check out the cchannel it might shine some light on what a few years have shown me its all facts and I hate to disagree but proofs in the pudding they say

mittenmedgrow

mittenmedgrow

Well its absolutely a great channel if u wanna no almost everything to no aboutgrowin in coco I only use cocotek coco but it holds an o2 percent of 20 and is a form of hydroponic growing just like a dwc tank with perfect air stones it would have to be a monsoon to overwater it check out the cchannel it might shine some light on what a few years have shown me its all facts and I hate to disagree but proofs in the pudding they say
Been making my pudding in coco for over 7 years more than 3 pound plants at times and 2 1/2 pounders consistently for over 5 years, not saying I know everything there is to know just don't do the YouTube thing. No offense but I wouldn't make a blanket statement such as can't overwater coco because you most certainly can

Chemist420

Chemist420

Took a look at your channel and watched a number of the vids. Some great info and nice plants there

mittenmedgrow

mittenmedgrow

OK so there is a first for everything I checked out your channel and looks good. I just watched a few minutes of a few videos but looks like you figured out what works for you. Seems to be geared towards beginner growers? You and I are in two different worlds. Example I buy coco by the pallet load usually 2 at a time it would literally take me a month to break down bricks for my grow. The size plants you grow in fives I would consider small for the three gallon in my garden. I work as a consultant for growers in the area and I see people over watering coco all the time. To the op you can grow smaller plants in 15 if you want but don't water everyday. I have customers that don't want to water their coco twice a day like I do or even once a day. They want every three days so we size pots accordingly. You will get better growth putting a plant in a pot sized for daily watering but it's not a deal breaker by any means. Here's an example of what I do in 3 gallons of coco watered twice a day. I was asking about stalk size on your plants because it will help me recommend what size pot you can use based on how often you want to water.
20151217 213458
20151213 093201

And this is the quality I am getting with medium yeilding strains and kushes
20151221 204154

Chemist420

Chemist420

OK so there is a first for everything I checked out your channel and looks good. I just watched a few minutes of a few videos but looks like you figured out what works for you. Seems to be geared towards beginner growers? You and I are in two different worlds. Example I buy coco by the pallet load usually 2 at a time it would literally take me a month to break down bricks for my grow. The size plants you grow in fives I would consider small for the three gallon in my garden. I work as a consultant for growers in the area and I see people over watering coco all the time. To the op you can grow smaller plants in 15 if you want but don't water everyday. I have customers that don't want to water their coco twice a day like I do or even once a day. They want every three days so we size pots accordingly. You will get better growth putting a plant in a pot sized for daily watering but it's not a deal breaker by any means. Here's an example of what I do in 3 gallons of coco watered twice a day. I was asking about stalk size on your plants because it will help me recommend what size pot you can use based on how often you want to water.
View attachment 559994 View attachment 559995
View attachment 559997

In regards to my stalk size, they're not as big as I'd like them to be but are starting to swell

Since going into the 15's about a week ago, I've been feeding small amounts every 3 days and have yet to see any shock or discoloration. Slowly increasing the volume and just saw runoff for the first time(minimal). Being a soil grower, I'm used to letting the roots get established before watering to runoff, and even then, I like to make em stretch for it in veg. Coco being a different medium, should i keep it relatively wet through veg, or is it good to let it dry out a bit after putting into new pots?

mittenmedgrow

mittenmedgrow

I think your doing the smart thing treating it like soil with small waterings until it's shooting roots out the bottom holes. I used to grow in soil and I do the same. Just keep it moist don't let it dry as much as soil. Once they are established i think you will be watering every few days at most. You might want to do what I call top watering one day and flood them out the next. For example it the top of the coco is dry but the bottom half of the pot is saturated just water enough to just re saturate the top so the root crown doesn't dry out. I find it strange when i see people say you can't overwater coco because it is the number 1 problem i see with new coco growers. Everyone I know uses straight canna and it holds a ton of water, they see the top drying out and water when the bottom half is still swimming. Growing large well established plants it's not so much of a problem but if your growing a plant that will yeild say 8 Oz in a ten gallon pot the watering is going to be a little trickier than a 2 lb plant in a ten that needs 2 gallons of water twice a day. Are you using bagged canna coco? If so what I tell the new coco users is that moisture content it comes with fresh out of the bag is the minimum amount of moisture I would ever let a plant see. I've seen a couple people claim that you can't over water coco and the only explanation I can come up with is that they are using a coarse coco that doesn't hold water like the fine ground canna does.

Chemist420

Chemist420

Thank you very much for confirming that for me. I find that whenever I grow trees in soil that some tend to be a bit more aggressive so I'm no stranger to top watering. I have a dirt guy that mixes up my soil blends and had him do me up an 80/20 coco/peri blend that came somewhat moist but not saturated, so I think I have an idea about the level of dryness you're referring to. Thanks again!

covertgrow

covertgrow

E="mittenmedgrow, post: 1591706, member: 21463"]OK so there is a first for everything I checked out your channel and looks good. I just watched a few minutes of a few videos but looks like you figured out what works for you. Seems to be geared towards beginner growers? You and I are in two different worlds. Example I buy coco by the pallet load usually 2 at a time it would literally take me a month to break down bricks for my grow. The size plants you grow in fives I would consider small for the three gallon in my garden. I work as a consultant for growers in the area and I see people over watering coco all the time. To the op you can grow smaller plants in 15 if you want but don't water everyday. I have customers that don't want to water their coco twice a day like I do or even once a day. They want every three days so we size pots accordingly. You will get better growth putting a plant in a pot sized for daily watering but it's not a deal breaker by any means. Here's an example of what I do in 3 gallons of coco watered twice a day. I was asking about stalk size on your plants because it will help me recommend what size pot you can use based on how often you want to water.
View attachment 559997[/QUOTE]
Absol
View attachment 559997

covertgrow

covertgrow

Absolutely beautiful plants man and all of the girls on the channel are not full term plants only autos and we do grow a lot different than u not near as large a scale but its very helpful info for someone starting out I never really haveto go over ten gal pots and tthat's what were all here for to help eachother out.

mittenmedgrow

mittenmedgrow

A
Absolutely beautiful plants man and all of the girls on the channel are not full term plants only autos and we do grow a lot different than u not near as large a scale but its very helpful info for someone starting out I never really haveto go over ten gal pots and tthat's what were all here for to help eachother out.
Agreed, I enjoy helping people out. Being a successful grower can change a person's life , taking something that you used to spend money on and turning into money coming back in or even just smoking for free is great. I think you help a lot of people with your channel and have no doubt if someone follows your style of growing they would be successful.

xavier7995

xavier7995

I've seen a couple people claim that you can't over water coco and the only explanation I can come up with is that they are using a coarse coco that doesn't hold water like the fine ground canna does.

Pretty embarrassing, but I find myself in the overwatered coco situation at the moment. Had a pretty decent size rootball with some nubbins spitting out the bottom, but well, the bottom area obviously was remaining too wet. I tend to run bigger pots that I don't fill that full, I think I misjudged how much I had filled them. Figured they could handle one feed a day with a bit of drain to waste. not the case:( Drying out now. But they just stopped growing quite as rapidly as they had been, then slowed to a crawl...then my runoff smelled a bit weird.

So...thinking of using some hydrogen peroxide to kill off any nasties I might have allowed to form in the damp environment, or whatever it is that is creating that bad smell. Good idea/bad idea? I grow using salts so not worried about killing off any beneficial whatnots. Per the googling, it seems 20-30 ML per gallon is recommended, but that mostly looks to for straight up hydro in a rez instead of just hand watering coco.

mittenmedgrow

mittenmedgrow

Pretty embarrassing, but I find myself in the overwatered coco situation at the moment. Had a pretty decent size rootball with some nubbins spitting out the bottom, but well, the bottom area obviously was remaining too wet. I tend to run bigger pots that I don't fill that full, I think I misjudged how much I had filled them. Figured they could handle one feed a day with a bit of drain to waste. not the case:( Drying out now. But they just stopped growing quite as rapidly as they had been, then slowed to a crawl...then my runoff smelled a bit weird.

So...thinking of using some hydrogen peroxide to kill off any nasties I might have allowed to form in the damp environment, or whatever it is that is creating that bad smell. Good idea/bad idea? I grow using salts so not worried about killing off any beneficial whatnots. Per the googling, it seems 20-30 ML per gallon is recommended, but that mostly looks to for straight up hydro in a rez instead of just hand watering coco.
I have never tried any product besides canna zyme in that situation. What I have done that seems the most effective is to let them dry really well to the point of the plant starting to wilt then just water heavily get a decent runoff with the standard feed. If I have a problem with over watering in veg it's usually on the 5 gallon pot stage and sometimes I will pop the whole plant out of the pot and let the root plug sit in the open for a day or to to speed up the drying process. If they get to the point of being saturated too much they flat-out stop drinking all together and your just waiting for evaporation to take place. Regardless of remedy I've tried it's never really pretty. Plants will yellow, some stems will purple and the bottom leaves will die off. Then after about 2 weeks I'll see new roots out the bottom and plant health will rebound and new growth returns to normal. It sucks but I've done it and I've seen lots of other people do it as well and I don't think there is a quick fix. I'm one of the few people that think it's better to let them dry well in between waterings, I used to let them get real dry to the point of shrinking so much you can see down in the side of the pot. I never had problems then , lately been trying to keep them a little damp and it works better for me until I water too much.

xavier7995

xavier7995

If I have a problem with over watering in veg it's usually on the 5 gallon pot stage and sometimes I will pop the whole plant out of the pot and let the root plug sit in the open for a day or to to speed up the drying process. .

Yep, that is the exact spot I am in. Never really thought to just pop them outta the containers. Think I am just going to continue with letting them dry out, do a light water and see if the runoff has any odor or if it was just stale water coming out of the bottom. If still smells, will treat with a bit of hydrogen peroxide as I have it on hand, will grab cannazym next time I am at the hydro store.

Thanks man, I appreciate the input. The baffling thing is that the plants look great...just they aren't growing at the right rate and the runoff with a weird smell worried me.

Latest posts

Top Bottom