Growing Trichomes [leaf Farming]

• Thread starter lukem5
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
L

lukem5

I know some will scoff, and mock, but pay them no mind, for this is he best way to grow weed that you are all being led away from.

I will first start with saying that the indicas are narcotic and put you down. Most prefer this feeling to the inspirational, thought provoking and soaring highs that sativas offer

Marijuana in its truest essence is in the unadulterated sativa.

You have all been breeding for large, tight dense nuggets. But trichomes don't form as well inside these dense nugs and give more plant matter than actual psychoactive material. Anyone who knows what they are talking about - will tell you the most intense highs they have ever had were from loose buds not dense ones. Hybrids with airy buds and each calyx covered in trichomes is what should be bred to create the most potent weed.

Now taking that a step further - the most potent weed will not form on the buds, but on the leaves.

Leaves grow faster than buds and are exposed to far more sunlight for a longer period than buds which is known to increase potency. They also have a large flat surface area for trichomes to form unhindered. They also grow faster and in more abundance in buds with less and cheaper fertilizer.

But I can't even see the trichomes on the leaf you say - well thats because humanities selective breeding for thousands of years have preferred more vibrant, terpene filled and fragrant buds. Had they selected for leaves instead for whatever reason, I can just about guarantee you we'd have plants with frosty white leaves and mediocre buds by now (ofc the grail would be both spectacular buds and leaves covered in trichs that's a long way off imo).

So this thread is a long term breeding project where I will be breeding specifically for leaf Trichome, terpene and overall resin production.

I have made this thread, in part, to share my knowledge with the community and also to gain it.

Have any here noticed plants that produce particularly sparkly leaves?

Growing trichomes leaf farming
K

kansabis

Any full plant shots,grow environment info,etc. I follow on what your saying but would like to know the practice and methods for achievement and also a clue or 2 as to the genetics involved. Thnx

L

lukem5

The genetics invovled haven't been bred for for thousands of years!!!!! This may be one of the most difficult undertaking in cannabis breeding ever attempted.

I plan on starting with plants such as pictured above - with very frosty bud offshoot leaves - this is ALL I will breed for, trichomes on the leaves without regard for terpene, high, or anything, just visual frostiness on the leaves.

If, after 5 or so years, I get to an appreciable point, i'll continue, if not, i'll probably give up hope.

From there I will further refine.

L

lukem5

looks like deep chunk will certainly be a starting point

Folks if you can remember the last time you saw a pure white 5 fingered leaf for the love of all that is holy please post it here lol.

Deep Chunk   Frostiest Bud Ever 3
DGP

DGP

I used to grow a strain when I first started that produced airy and small buds but they tasted good. Got so much negative feedback I switched to a new strain. Also, the leaves on the flowers were quite frosty so I wouldn't trim so close because they had so much frost.....got highly criticized for not trimming close enough. So, the market tends to drive us this direction.

BTW, some of us need the indica effects for medical reasons but I also enjoy the sativas sometimes as well.

Dee

Dunge

Dunge

This forum is named "THCfarmer" for a reason.

Let's hear from growers in the extract field.
When you go directly to extract, do you notice higher oil yields correlated with open bud structure?

In much of Asia and Africa, marijuana is typically processed into hash.
Physical separation and concentration of trichomes is what I have most often seen done.
So these might be a good genetic starting point for your search.

That "bag appeal" has driven bud morphology is clear.
How is it that buds are still very strong, and getting stronger?

I'd start with investigating the assumption that tight buds kills thc production.

Market buds are over trimmed.
I suspect it is "high grading", the act of stripping off valuable parts.
Like shaker tables that collect keef.
I doubt the trim is being thrown out.

K

kansabis

I don't think he was saying that buds kill thc production just that they contain more green matter than leaves with comparable amounts of trichomes,and I think if we are focused on extraction so much now that really is all we want,trichs not bud weight,if your selling buds then of course you want big fat frosty buds but if you just want to extract oils and cannabanoids then what does it matter if its just leaves and stems covered,or buds???? Leaves are easier to grow than buds too. I think that the assumption of not breeding for this is incorrect as it was stated that India,Asia and many other landrace areas typically make hash which means they are selecting for heavy resin producers.

MW7945

MW7945

Correct... look at most of the frostiest cuts you can find... they're typically not rock solid hand grenade buds.

K

kansabis

If breeding could take us to super frosty early flowering males and/or females then that would be awesome but we are really pretty much already there,I think that's a big reason why we are so into examining and creating different terp and cannabinoid profiles now,we have the gene pool to do alot of different things with cannabis,it just depends on the particular market or individuals wants and needs,rec or medicinal.

2toughtony

2toughtony

The genetics invovled haven't been bred for for thousands of years!!!!! This may be one of the most difficult undertaking in cannabis breeding ever attempted.

I plan on starting with plants such as pictured above - with very frosty bud offshoot leaves - this is ALL I will breed for, trichomes on the leaves without regard for terpene, high, or anything, just visual frostiness on the leaves.

If, after 5 or so years, I get to an appreciable point, i'll continue, if not, i'll probably give up hope.

From there I will further refine.
People have been doing this for a while myself included. Its really not that hard ever hear of
20180201 161716
20180127 104855
20180121 135904
krylon hashplant?

L

lukem5

Folks I think were gonna be in 7 fingered frosty leaf heaven in a few years.

L

lukem5

I know its hard to see those leaves over the totally encrusted calyxes but remember they were NEVER bred for the leaves... EVER. Imagine the trichome spacing, size and density as on those calyx', but on leaves. Thats the grail right there

diamond2.0

diamond2.0

ive spun people consumming vegging leafs ,lol. if i take a young vegging leaf its full of tricomb heads but no legs. udub had a killer leaf to bud ration because so leafy. Rub a vegging leaf on your gums and it will numb them. lol.

diamond2.0

diamond2.0

Why would it numb them??? Are you growing cannabis or cocaine???? Lmao
because its good fucking weed .lol. one hit should numb your lips smoking it. One time a friend had bad tooth ache and chewed on the leaf and hit helped.

Last edited:
Top Bottom