Gypsum Anyone?

• Thread starter Homesteader
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Homesteader

Homesteader

I love me some gypsum for cannabis.

"The bottom line to the many benefits of gypsum is higher yield at a minimum cost."

"The forgotten nutrients Gypsum is also a source of calcium and sulfur, or what Dick called the “forgotten nutrients.” Nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium get most of our attention, but plants also need calcium and sulfur in relatively large amounts, he explained. Plant cell walls and membranes require calcium for proper functioning, and growing root tips and developing fruits also need a lot of the nutrient. Sulfur, meanwhile, is critical to making protein because the amino acids methionine and cysteine both contain sulfur atoms."

"Agricultural Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate - CaSO4) is one of those rare materials that performs in all three categories of soil treatment: an amendment, conditioner, and fertilizer.

Soil conditioners, such as gypsum, are seriously undervalued compared to fertilizer usage. Dr. Arthur Wallace (Ph.D. Soil Science and Plant Nutrition) and Dr. Garn Wallace (Ph.D. Bio-Chemistry) of Wallace Laboratories in El Segundo, CA, U.S.A., believe that if soil structure ain't right, then nothing is right.

Lets look at it from the plants point of view. The bottom-line question here is AVAILABILITY. How much calcium sulfate (nutrition) is available to the plant to meet its gypsum requirement when it needs it? The same is true with the soil. If it does not get gypsum when it needs it, the soil may compact, prevent water and air penetration, lose its leaching ability and become saturated with salt or other excessive elements harmful to plant growth and health. Then the plant suffers from bad soil conditions.

Poor soil structure is a major limiting factor in crop yield. The bottom line to the many benefits of gypsum is higher yield at a minimum cost."

https://buildasoil.com/blogs/news/8490573-why-gypsum-in-your-organic-soil

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Here is some interesting data. I cannot say definitively that it is totally accurate but I do have a lot of respect for Linda's work as she doesn't cow tow to any AG companies and has taken a lot of heat over the years as a result.

Take what you want and leave the rest. Just another perspective concerning gypsum as a soil amendment. Peace

Linda Chalker-Scott, Ph.D., Extension Horticulturist and Associate Professor, Puyallup Research and Extension Center, Washington State University

The Myth of Gypsum Magic “Adding gypsum to your yard or garden will improve soil tilth and plant health”

The Myth: Upon continued prodding from one of my university extension colleagues, I recently watched several episodes of a well-known gardening program on television. My kids joined me, alerted by my animated responses to the host’s non-stop torrent of advice. Among many amazing discoveries I learned that by adding gypsum to my yard or garden I would improve my problem soils by changing the particle size and loosening compaction. Further searching on the web revealed that gypsum would also improve drainage, decrease acidity, and eliminate soil salts. Previously, I had heard of gypsum for use in soil reclamation projects, but not for a typical urban landscape. Since gypsum is simply calcium sulfate, could this chemical truly transform soil structure and serve as a fertilizer for yards and gardens?

The Reality:
This myth falls into the category of agricultural practices misapplied to ornamental landscapes. Gypsum effectively changes the structure and fertility of heavy clay soils, especially those that are heavily weathered or subject to intensive crop production. Gypsum also improves sodic (saline) soils by removing sodium from the soil and replacing it with calcium. Therefore, one can see improvement in clay soil structure and fertility, and desalinization of sodium-rich soils, by using gypsum. What other effects will gypsum have on soil and plant health? There are a number of scientific studies on gypsum usage both in the literature and on websites. Briefly, researchers have found:

• Gypsum does not usually change soil acidity, though occasional reports of both increasing and decreasing pH exist;
• Gypsum can increase leaching of aluminum, which can detoxify soils but also contaminates nearby watersheds;
• Gypsum can increase leaching of iron and manganese, leading to deficiencies of these nutrients;
• Gypsum applied to acid soils can induce magnesium deficiency in plants on site;
• Gypsum applied to sandy soils can depress phosphorus, copper and zinc transport;
• Gypsum can have negative effects on mycorrhizal inoculation of roots, which may account for several reports of negative effects of gypsum on tree seedling establishment and survival;
• Gypsum is variable in its effects on mature trees;
• Gypsum will not improve fertility of acid or sandy soils;
• Gypsum will not improve water holding capacity of sandy soils; and
• Gypsum’s effects are short-lived (often a matter of months)

With the exception of arid and coastal regions (where soil salts are high) and the southeastern United States (where heavy clay soils are common), gypsum amendment is just not necessary in non-agricultural areas. Urban soils are generally amalgamations of subsoils, native and non-native topsoils, and – in home landscapes – high levels of organic and non-organic chemical additives. They are also heavily compacted and layered (and gypsum does not work well on layered soils). In such landscapes, it is pointless to add yet more chemicals in the form of gypsum unless you need to increase soil calcium levels. This nutrient deficiency can be quickly identified by any soil testing laboratory for less than a bag of gypsum costs. (If you need to improve sulfur nutrition, it’s wiser to use ammonium sulfate). To reduce compaction and improve aeration in nearly any landscape, application of an organic mulch is more economically and environmentally sustainable.

The Bottom Line
• Gypsum can improve heavy clay soil structure and remove sodium from saline soils
• Gypsum has no effect on soil fertility, structure, or pH of any other soil type
• Most urban soils are not improved by additional gypsum
• Before adding gypsum or any chemical to a landscape, have soil analysis performed to identify mineral deficiencies, toxicities, and soil character
• Adding gypsum to sandy or non-sodic soils is a waste of money, natural resources, and can have negative impacts on plant, soil, and ecosystem health.

For more information, please visit Dr. Chalker-Scott’s web page at http://www.theinformedgardener.com

S

Slownickel

Here is some interesting data. I cannot say definitively that it is totally accurate but I do have a lot of respect for Linda's work as she doesn't cow tow to any AG companies and has taken a lot of heat over the years as a result.

Take what you want and leave the rest. Just another perspective concerning gypsum as a soil amendment. Peace

Linda Chalker-Scott, Ph.D., Extension Horticulturist and Associate Professor, Puyallup Research and Extension Center, Washington State University

The Myth of Gypsum Magic “Adding gypsum to your yard or garden will improve soil tilth and plant health”

The Myth: Upon continued prodding from one of my university extension colleagues, I recently watched several episodes of a well-known gardening program on television. My kids joined me, alerted by my animated responses to the host’s non-stop torrent of advice. Among many amazing discoveries I learned that by adding gypsum to my yard or garden I would improve my problem soils by changing the particle size and loosening compaction. Further searching on the web revealed that gypsum would also improve drainage, decrease acidity, and eliminate soil salts. Previously, I had heard of gypsum for use in soil reclamation projects, but not for a typical urban landscape. Since gypsum is simply calcium sulfate, could this chemical truly transform soil structure and serve as a fertilizer for yards and gardens?

The Reality:
This myth falls into the category of agricultural practices misapplied to ornamental landscapes. Gypsum effectively changes the structure and fertility of heavy clay soils, especially those that are heavily weathered or subject to intensive crop production. Gypsum also improves sodic (saline) soils by removing sodium from the soil and replacing it with calcium. Therefore, one can see improvement in clay soil structure and fertility, and desalinization of sodium-rich soils, by using gypsum. What other effects will gypsum have on soil and plant health? There are a number of scientific studies on gypsum usage both in the literature and on websites. Briefly, researchers have found:

• Gypsum does not usually change soil acidity, though occasional reports of both increasing and decreasing pH exist;
• Gypsum can increase leaching of aluminum, which can detoxify soils but also contaminates nearby watersheds;
• Gypsum can increase leaching of iron and manganese, leading to deficiencies of these nutrients;
• Gypsum applied to acid soils can induce magnesium deficiency in plants on site;
• Gypsum applied to sandy soils can depress phosphorus, copper and zinc transport;
• Gypsum can have negative effects on mycorrhizal inoculation of roots, which may account for several reports of negative effects of gypsum on tree seedling establishment and survival;
• Gypsum is variable in its effects on mature trees;
• Gypsum will not improve fertility of acid or sandy soils;
• Gypsum will not improve water holding capacity of sandy soils; and
• Gypsum’s effects are short-lived (often a matter of months)

With the exception of arid and coastal regions (where soil salts are high) and the southeastern United States (where heavy clay soils are common), gypsum amendment is just not necessary in non-agricultural areas. Urban soils are generally amalgamations of subsoils, native and non-native topsoils, and – in home landscapes – high levels of organic and non-organic chemical additives. They are also heavily compacted and layered (and gypsum does not work well on layered soils). In such landscapes, it is pointless to add yet more chemicals in the form of gypsum unless you need to increase soil calcium levels. This nutrient deficiency can be quickly identified by any soil testing laboratory for less than a bag of gypsum costs. (If you need to improve sulfur nutrition, it’s wiser to use ammonium sulfate). To reduce compaction and improve aeration in nearly any landscape, application of an organic mulch is more economically and environmentally sustainable.

The Bottom Line
• Gypsum can improve heavy clay soil structure and remove sodium from saline soils
• Gypsum has no effect on soil fertility, structure, or pH of any other soil type
• Most urban soils are not improved by additional gypsum
• Before adding gypsum or any chemical to a landscape, have soil analysis performed to identify mineral deficiencies, toxicities, and soil character
• Adding gypsum to sandy or non-sodic soils is a waste of money, natural resources, and can have negative impacts on plant, soil, and ecosystem health.

For more information, please visit Dr. Chalker-Scott’s web page at http://www.theinformedgardener.com

Everything is relative to where you are standing. Dr Chalker is in Washington State. The issue is not about whether or not to use gyspum, it is a tool for the right circumstances.

The Doc is quite off with her generalities. But with that said, in her part of the world, she MAY be correct.

Since she does not mention how to judge (using the CE base distributions) nor does not believe in structural changes with gypsum (which is common knowledge), I would not take her recommendations to heart. Given that she has never farmed her opinions are those of the talking heads, I had a bunch of professors just like her. Waste of time and money those classes. Most of them were dead wrong and just good at regurgitating the puke from the Potassium and Phosphorus "institute".

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
I would after reading some more agree with you. I would also offer in the study @Homesteader supllied from Ohio State is this. Words to live by as a farmer/grower,

A Final Note
Many growers will see promotions for gypsum use that emphasize the many beneficial roles that Ca plays in both plants and soils. Most of them are probably true, to one degree or another. However, the fact that these claims may be true does not mean that a grower needs gypsum or any other Ca source. The vast majority of soils contain abundant Ca and applying more will gain nothing for the crop or the grower. Before spending scarce money on inputs based on nothing more that claims, the grower must accurately evaluate his crops needs. This requires the proper use of soil tests, plant analysis, and some time spent evaluating research results and/or on-farm field trials. Scarce input dollars must be spent where there are the greatest chances for the largest returns on investments. In most cases, the best returns will be from the proper use of more conventional, such as lime, fertilizer, seed, etc.

Homesteader

Homesteader

The vast majority of soils contain abundant Ca and applying more will gain nothing for the crop or the grower. Before spending scarce money on inputs based on nothing more that claims, the grower must accurately evaluate his crops needs. This requires the proper use of soil tests

The problem is as @Slownickel will tell you, that standard soil tests will give you a false reading of Calcium that is not available to plants and farmers will look elsewhere at issues thinking they are covered with calcium, but in fact their plants are deficient and the calcium in their soil is held up in carbonates.

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Soa er we eluding to sort of the same BS with urine analysis testing with false negatives and false positives? So we have the same issues with soil labs eh???? Doesnt surprise me. Pray tell tho, if you have some links to data I
'm a data whore , please post it up. Hope you had a great Xmas bro.

S

Slownickel

Jumpin,

Homesteader is doing a great job. That last post of his came from the PGA, they were the ones to discover this issue, not the aggies at some University. The golf course guys had to figure it out! That is really kind of funny, but as you will read, most soil analysis over estimate calcium as they are breaking down calcium carbonate in the process, grossly over estimating Ca sometimes by more than 90 times!

I have a soil here in Peru that has 100,000 ppms of Ca according to the typical M3 procedure. Yet, when we follow the guide of the PGA guys who were forced to figure this out, and we apply the [email protected], I barely have 1,400 ppms of Ca in that soil. I am probably one of the only folks in the world that would put gypsum on soils with 100,000 ppm of Ca. With that said, a good friend of mine is in Italy and will be apply gypsum on some white soils there too! This should be fun!

My grow.... https://goo.gl/1U92jS

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Wow who would have thunk. Great information fellas!!!!! @Slownickel @Homesteader

Thank you. :)

PS I have no doubts about homesteaders knowledge levels, I have just been taught to "Question Everything"

So when I question or challenge info or post's it is an open invitation to allow me to be open to other perspectives and it helps me to confirm and cement my knowledge base. When I question I am not trying to be adversarial, I am just hungry for knowledge. So hopefully you both dont take it that way.:D Peace

Homesteader

Homesteader

I am not an academic, I grow cannabis an apples and know how to mine google for knowledge . I am a disabled veteran who has insomnia most nights and I love my hands in soil and I have never been to a school that didn't have Community in its name. Question everything, I say.....honestly. I learned a long time ago that eagles don't quack. Surround yourself with the likes of @Slownickel, @Ecompost, Dr Cho and Masanobu Fukuoka, and you wont be steered wrong.

leadsled

leadsled

GrowRU
Gypsum is good, but not to be used a sole source of calcium.
Gypsum is calcium sulfate, calcium + sulfur.
Best to get your base saturation of calcium to 60% with calcium carbonate before adding gypsum.
Have seen growers make soil mix solely with gyspum and then hit very high levels of sulfur.

Ecompost

Ecompost

I am not an academic, I grow cannabis an apples and know how to mine google for knowledge . I am a disabled veteran who has insomnia most nights and I love my hands in soil and I have never been to a school that didn't have Community in its name. Question everything, I say.....honestly. I learned a long time ago that eagles don't quack. Surround yourself with the likes of @Slownickel, @Ecompost, Dr Cho and Masanobu Fukuoka, and you wont be steered wrong.
thanks buddy, and I personally feel we dont need more academics, we need people who can translate that lingo in to diction we can all get our heads around mate, and you help this process more than most. What I enjoy here is being made to rethink how I present data, that has until now been held in the limited prose of the elites, in papers and libraries not accessible to everyone. Eventually, we will have converted all this geek speak, in to everyday language and only when this happens, will the messages lead us in to a better future. No good one going, everyone involved needs to go or it makes less sense.
The people you have mentioned are among my mentors personally and I consider you all a part of the same cloth, where we give, like we used to. Sharing the knowledge that helps us all succeed, not for profits, but because we need to, we have always done this, anyway. Its just now people want paying anytime they open their mouths. My mate wants to retrain as a plumber, this is great I think, the world needs plumbers right? But now, rather than a society that shares the knowledge we need to help us function and to replace those who drop out through age or illness, we ask for payment, not just for the course material, but also for the privilege of being able to go to work for someone so they can sign you off. I am not sure where this is taking us, so rest assured, if you ask me buddy, i will share what i have and what i know, this is the only way we can effectively continue after those with the knowledge die....we have lost so much knowledge, war famine, and now IP. I am open source, on my OS and in my life :-) i got that attitude from better people than me. I am trying to honor the time they invested in me by passing the energy they passed to me.
One thing I dislike, people withholding data that can benefit us all :-)
Peace bro

Top Bottom