H202 Questions

• Thread starter SodaLicious
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
SodaLicious

SodaLicious

Is it o.k. to use h202 in chlorinated tap water? I have found a source for water that is free, but it is chlorinated. I want to use this instead of R/O since it will save money. Is h202 needed now that i have chlorinated water?

LordDankinstien

LordDankinstien

If its chlorine and not chloramine, just let it sit out for 24 hours, and your good. If its chloramine then add about 1ml of humic acid per gallon and your good to go again. Don't worry about the h2o2

BlueBlood

BlueBlood

There's really no problem, you may produce a teeny tiny bit of hydrochloric acid, but that's no big deal. You don't really need to do any dechlorination to begin with, and even if you still want to, there won't be much left after the peroxide is done with it.

Small amounts of chlorine are beneficial to plants, and it has to be quite a bit more than you'd find in tap water to be detrimental.

GR33NL3AF

GR33NL3AF

Yes, but doesn't chlorine kill any beneficials in your mix?

BlueBlood

BlueBlood

I have pretty much no direct experience with organics, so I can't say for sure. My guess would be that it could set them back just a bit, but would certainly not sterilize the medium. I've seen grow journals where people ran bioponic setups straight off of tap, so they must be able to deal with it, at least if the colony is big enough, I suppose.

I'm not trying to be an organic-hater, but I really think that most folks would be better off just getting their water analyzed and adjusting as needed. Obviously there are those that have especially nutty water, but I think much of the time RO use is due to people just being spooked by the notion of 'chemicals'. I can only see myself using RO if there was a ton of Calcium, or something. That's all I have to say about that. /gump

In this specific instance, though, H202 will certainly dechlorinate the water well below the point that it will be detrimental to anything. Also, as previously mentioned, chlorine evaporates super fast, so you can just leave it sit a bit and you'll be fine then, too. :)

I would at least try it straight, though. I bet it doesn't give any problems, and you'll be able to avoid the extra step.

Keep in mind that I kill 'beneficials' on purpose in my grows, so I could be totally wrong. ;)

Reactions: mal
SodaLicious

SodaLicious

I
I have pretty much no direct experience with organics, so I can't say for sure. My guess would be that it could set them back just a bit, but would certainly not sterilize the medium. I've seen grow journals where people ran bioponic setups straight off of tap, so they must be able to deal with it, at least if the colony is big enough, I suppose.

I'm not trying to be an organic-hater, but I really think that most folks would be better off just getting their water analyzed and adjusting as needed. Obviously there are those that have especially nutty water, but I think much of the time RO use is due to people just being spooked by the notion of 'chemicals'. I can only see myself using RO if there was a ton of Calcium, or something. That's all I have to say about that. /gump

In this specific instance, though, H202 will certainly dechlorinate the water well below the point that it will be detrimental to anything. Also, as previously mentioned, chlorine evaporates super fast, so you can just leave it sit a bit and you'll be fine then, too. :)

I would at least try it straight, though. I bet it doesn't give any problems, and you'll be able to avoid the extra step.

Keep in mind that I kill 'beneficials' on purpose in my grows, so I could be totally wrong. ;)

Thanks for all the info. I don't want any beneficials anyways, I am using gh 3 part. I want to run as sterile as possible. Tell me more about how you kill the shit in your setup.

BlueBlood

BlueBlood

Obviously its best to keep the fundamentals down to keep anything from growing in there in the first place. So lots of movement and low reservoir temperatures with unfiltered tap water.

That said, if you do get slime or something, a little bleach is fine to use. H202 certainly works. A solution of chelated Iron and H202 is an especially vicious treatment that they use at wastewater facilities if you're feeling particularly hateful towards some root slime

Just a note.
Use just a little bleach if you do. It certainly works at killing things, but the hydrochloric acid will react with the hypochlorate and release chlorine gas. This then makes more hydrochloric acid in your lungs a la World War I. ;)

It won't kill you, but it just might suck a lil bit.

wellcome-horses-gas-maskl0031952-lr-716481-jpg.205727

Wellcome horses gas maskL0031952 LR 716481
Reactions: mal
SodaLicious

SodaLicious

Obviously its best to keep the fundamentals down to keep anything from growing in there in the first place. So lots of movement and low reservoir temperatures with unfiltered tap water.

That said, if you do get slime or something, a little bleach is fine to use. H202 certainly works. A solution of chelated Iron and H202 is an especially vicious treatment that they use at wastewater facilities if you're feeling particularly hateful towards some root slime

Just a note.
Use just a little bleach if you do. It certainly works at killing things, but the hydrochloric acid will react with the hypochlorate and release chlorine gas. This then makes more hydrochloric acid in your lungs a la World War I. ;)

It won't kill you, but it just might suck a lil bit.

wellcome-horses-gas-maskl0031952-lr-716481-jpg.205727

How much bleach per gallon do you recommend for cleaning and sterilizing the system without plants in it?

Latest posts

Top Bottom