Hail Hydro 2.0: New Beginnings

  • Thread starter PhatNuggz
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

I dropped 3/10 gifted Hindu Kush seeds from a Dispensary 2 days ago. I added some Kelp to the water to facilitate germination. They haven't cracked yet, but I dropped them in starter cubes this morning. Sitting in 4" net pots with ~ 1/2" of stone or marbles between the cube and the bottom of the net pot, which is sitting on a 1/2" grate, directly above a 5" air stone. The pump has output adjustment turned down low so as not to soak the cubes Fingers crossed
 
Last edited:
Weed Dude

Weed Dude

I dropped 3/10 gifted Hindu Kush seeds from a Dispensary 2 days ago. I added some Kelp to the water to facilitate germination. They haven't cracked yet, but I dropped them in starter cubes this morning. Sitting in 4" net pots with ~ 1/2" of stone or marbles between the cube and the bottom of the net pot, which is sitting on a 1/2" grate, directly above a 5" air stone. The pump has output adjustment turned down low so as not to soak the cubes Fingers crossed
Interesting way to start seeds.
 
PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

The location I was doing this technique wasn't getting enough light, so I temporally abandoned it until the plants pop. Moved them outside and feeding with eye dropper
 
PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

I decided to place them under my Amare P3 but using only the ~ 100w of mono rings surrounding each CoB. This morning I noticed 1/3 standing up ~ 1/2" tall with cotyledon beginning to open, but 2/3 seeds not properly placed with root tip firmly down (growing sideways). so I reset them using tweezers and a magnifying glass
 
PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

2 are up and growing, the last one still might make it. Moved them into my DIY bubbler this morning (this rig I only use until the roots get long enough to move into my F & D

I am using a 4 manifold air pump which has an air volume adjustment knob

IMG_4923.JPG
IMG_4924.JPG
 
Last edited:
PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

When I started these, I completely forgot that I have Bright Water Ceramic Filtration Media, said to be a better alternative to Hydroton, which I hated due to it breaking down. 2/3 completely replaced with them, but the 3rd already has established roots, so I instead I topped it off
 
PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

Here's an interesting YTV for germinating seeds. I seldom have fresh seeds so not often do I get long tails. Unfortunately, I never thought to move them into paper towels. I shudder to think how many seeds I might have saved from the garbage can.

 
Weed Dude

Weed Dude

I forget where I read about it, but was already in the middle of my last grow. Unlike the polished stones, these are porous. Probably more beneficial using the drip methods, but no time like the present to try them
Good video . I been doing it that way for years.
 
PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

2/3 are doing well. The 3rd didn't make it. Fingers crossed I have 2 females this go round.

The hardiest one is on its 3rd leaf set with the first set stretching beyond the 3" net pot 😎

The second plant now has 2" tap root hanging below the pot
 
Last edited:
PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

The smaller seedling (started at the same time!) is way behind, BUT, there are fish bones from the small roots, so she (fingers crossed) will begin to take off in 3-5 days
 
PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

I have previously mentioned why I have to use lids - MOSQUITOS

I noticed some build up in the DWC tote and decided to dump/replace this morning. And guess what was in the water, yep, Fn mosquito larvae. I had been a bit lax with making sure all top holes were covered

Time to slightly increase EC/ppm now ~300ppm/0.5EC I also added Zone
 
PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

Made a few changes. Unrelated to them, I almost lost both plants

One of the problems with DWC is water/nute temps, which when too warm it will cause problems due to low DO. So, I did 2 things using things I had on hand (see photos)

* I wrapped the tote in aluminum insulation

* AND, since I am using a F & D tote, which already has a bulkhead, I inserted an o/o valve and put a bottom feed pump in a cooler and drain the nutes into the cooler to which I add a couple blue ice packs, and leave them in the cooler until the temp drops to ~ 65*s, at which point I turn the pump on to re-fill the tote. Once the nutes back into the tote, I close the valve and repeat every ~ 3 hours during lights on

Avoided a Disaster

I can't stress enough the importance of a strong multi-head air pump that has a adjustment valve. This allows for compensating when the water level is either too low, or too high. A week ago it was too high, and I was afraid of soaking the starter cubes, which would lead to root rot. Setting it too low and not enough droplets were splashing into the net pot= no root development. That almost cost me the small plant, which barely had any roots outside the net pot and completely dried out!, whereas the larger plant has roots down into the nutes. When the adjustment was too high it was likely getting too wet and started to get RR. Late yesterday I noticed some browning and wilted leaves. Last night I took it out and soaked it in ~ 5% H2O2 for ~ 15 minutes. This morning she's perked right back up, as has the small one

hth
 
Last edited:
PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

Still dealing with the freakin mosquitos

Another benefit of having an outboard rez to drain into is when it's white. This morning I noticed a bunch of mosquito larvae, so I strained the little Fers before they got to be adults. I then cleaned out the tote
 
Weed Dude

Weed Dude

Great post.! I never got any bugs in my system. Here it is basically a drip re-circulation system. I got it off of ebay. Has an air stone in each 5 gallon bucket and each bucket is connected at the bottom to each other.Which returns back the main reservoir.


WD
 

Similar threads

Top Bottom