Hail Hydro 2.0: New Beginnings

• Thread starter PhatNuggz
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

Shawnery

What you could do is use in internal/external pump and place the filter on the feed end and just have everything else exactly the same! The only difference is that water is pulled through a hole instead of those long tiny slits in internal pumps.

I hope that makes sense.

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

What you could do is use in internal/external pump and place the filter on the feed end and just have everything else exactly the same! The only difference is that water is pulled through a hole instead of those long tiny slits in internal pumps.

I hope that makes sense.

I think I get it- pump and filter external with i/o ?

It would be more trouble than it's worth in my small set up max of 6 seelings, so I can hand water...

S

Shawnery

No no much simpler than that. Sorry I'm not good at putting things into words.

So you take the external internal pump you put it in the exact same spot you have yours now you connect the sprayer to the top of it the same way you do now. But instead of leaving the cover over the external internal pump you take the cover off connect the pump right there underneath the water. I wish I had something to drop a diagram but I don't. But everything would stay in the bucket the way it is now you would only have one extra piece of equipment and that would be the filter and when maybe 2 inch piece of hose

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

Thanks, but the simpler solution is/was to put a much finer thread nylon/silk sock over the entire pump including the intake, which I did this morning

Now, due to my mistake of wasting a week of unclogging the mist heads, the babies have been struggling to thrive: several died. So this morning I replaced the stones surrounding the coco pellets, which I was using to support the coco pods whose diameter is much smaller than the net pots (see pics).

ALSO, I had neglected to use coco liners (which I used successfully last grow) which get wet from the sprays while holding the loose coco inside. I removed loose coco from a few pellets that had failed seedlings. This allows the roots to have something to grow into. I then capped each with small stones

The net pot with the hole in he center is for clones

IMG 4421
IMG 4423
IMG 4424

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

Root/plant update

Thinking next grow from seeds that I will try my HPA setup

By inserting my inline filter I should eliminate the clogging, which I am still dealing with, though much less, BUT, the clogging has clearly set the plants development back a good bit as several of the plants aren't getting consistent watering which is scheduled for 3 minutes an hour

IMG 4429
IMG 4430
IMG 4431

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

Update: I pushed the pause cycle too far (1.5 hours), roots on the dry side this morning, but should recover

S

Shawnery

I'm sorry if it's been covered but I've not read the entire thread but only cherry picked here and there.

Is it just because ease of use that you decided to go the LPA instead of HPA?

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

well, it took me long enough

I have been thinking about why I am having issues with pumping nutes through the mist heads, which forced me to replace the with lp heads

Well, last night (long after the lights were off) it dawned on me that the bottom draw pump I am using lacks enough space between the inflow and the bottom of the rez. No, yesterday I did put a short riser under it which 'helped' but this morning I replaced it with a taller one

Now working as it should, lots of spray

This also stopped the rattling sound which sounded like rocks in a tumbler every time the pump cycled

hth

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

I'm sorry if it's been covered but I've not read the entire thread but only cherry picked here and there.

Is it just because ease of use that you decided to go the LPA instead of HPA?

One of the keys to hpa is having a root chamber environment that is sympatico for root hairs. I only have that about 4 months a year

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

Now that it seems I have the mist head situation under better control, I mixed up fresh nutes

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

Now that the system is humming along (hope you learned alot abut potential pitfalls), I am seeing new leafs so I took pics to show a 'restart' of sorts

The root pics are from group pic of plants, starting from the upper left clockwise to lower left

I cut the on cycle to ~ 1- 1.5 minutes (analog timer settings not accurate with ~ 20-30 minutes pause

Next weeks pics should be quite a bit better developed

IMG 4432
IMG 4433
IMG 4434
IMG 4435
IMG 4436

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

BIG SIGH OF RELIEF
wow, there's already a big change in the way the plants look- Perky

Also, I cut the 'on' time down from ~ 1.5 minutes to ~ 25 seconds ( counted out to 30 slowly) as I knew they were getting too wet at this stage of development

S

Shawnery

I'm not trying to be an ass at all!

Isn't that root rot starting to show on your roots? I wanted to ask because if it's not than I have been misjudging my root problems excessively.

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

I'm not trying to be an ass at all!

Isn't that root rot starting to show on your roots? I wanted to ask because if it's not than I have been misjudging my root problems excessively.

Fair question. The other nutes I was using are dark brown, and stained the roots

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

that 4th pic down is root slime,Those roots are covered in brown algae.

I know it looks that way, but here are today's photos (the second is the plant you refrenced). Note the new growth is white. The previous was stained roots from a very dark nutrient

they are really starting to pop now, even reachin to the light

fyi, the tiny plant is a cutting from my outdoor Basil

IMG 4437
IMG 4438
IMG 4439

Top Bottom