Hail Hydro 2.0: New Beginnings

• Thread starter PhatNuggz
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

The O2 test begins- sort of
It finally dawned on me that I can employ the emitter now by plugging/unplugging it and the low pressure pump from my deep cycle timer so that each can be incorporated

Doing so on a consistent basis would require me being here throughout lights on, which will not happen, but, I suspect even a handful of O2 cycles should help

Since I am not doing a side by side, the only comparison will be to my last grow at this stage, and of course I will move the O2G to the flood room, but...

The first root pic is from the largest plant. That's a lot of plant considering roots are barely sticking out of the the netpot
biggrin.gif

IMG 4440
IMG 4441
IMG 4442

S

Shawnery

Either I am way over the top about the condition of my roots or you are under the top? This isn't a judgement either, it's a statement/question.

Honestly when I first saw your roots they looked like what I have come to consider root rot. The fact that you have newer roots popping out, while your existing roots seem stunted, I think even backs that up more.

For me it's not just the color of the roots but the flacididy of your older ones compared to your newer ones. Again I'm not trying to be a dick I'm just trying to understand something that I thought I already had.

If you had roots like these would you be happy and think they are healthy or unhappy and in need of loving?

20181001 114421
PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

It could have been beginning stages of RR, but due to dark color it was hard to tell. Anyway, I am FINALLY past that now. And much of the problem was clogged mist heads and on times that were too long, which overwet the coco inside the coco inserts. I will take new root pics by weeks end

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

Shwanery, look at your photo up above the water line where you have lateral root hairs. They are there due to moist air which is conducive to lateral root development. These provide considerably more root for nutrient uptake.

This pic is from my last grow pre moving to F & D

This is why I stopped using DWC

IMG 4232

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

Somethings working :D

As I mentioned, I am running the 2020 O2G emitter manually, at ~ 20-30 minutes maybe 3-4 times per day.

My thought is; since the nanos are said to stay in suspension for many hours and the pump is low in the nutrient (and that it runs ~ 2 minutes/20-30 minutes) that it does not agitate the nanos that much at this stage, therefore, most of the nanos remain in suspension after each spray cycle. I certainly could be wrong about that, though. But you can see from last grows lpa roots, that they looked great as did the plants, so it's hard to say how much of an influence the 2020 is after just 3 days

Looks like the far left plant is a male, the rest?

Now, when I move the plants up to the F & D room, then the 2020 will be on a separate timer that will cycle the emitters after every 2 hour flood

IMG 4447
IMG 4448
IMG 4449
IMG 4451
PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

Big day for me

Now that I have the bugs worked out of my lpa to start seedlings, though I will probably change to hpa for the next seedlings

I just dropped the super exotic Sol Seeds ($200+/seed) into water with a few grains of Kelp, and a few drops of Sea 90 minerals in liquid form.

I wanted to wait for a waxing moon, which has more pull on the earth, but need to get going to harvest in January when the weather here is most conducive to flowering

S

Shawnery

After going through all of this what if any advice do you have? I just built something similar to yours except I'll be cloning in collars with no net.

20181005 085149
PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

See all the tiny root hairs. They are why NOT to sprout in napkins as they dig into the aper and are torn off when removed

4787872-6243549-image-a-50_1538737190644.jpg

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

As good as the tops look, the roots are really filling in, a prelude to big tops

I was closing the tent flaps for a couple days, then yesterday when I popped the hood, the root chamber was quite warm due to captured heat and no exhaust. I dropped a couple frozen jugs of water and opened the flaps, now back to normal

Note the pic with tape measured @ 7" was 3 days ago: now 9"+

the roots look brownish due to me forgetting to turn off the yellow COBs

IMG 4452
IMG 4453
IMG 4454
IMG 4455

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

After going through all of this what if any advice do you have? I just built something similar to yours except I'll be cloning in collars with no net.

Picture is blurry. IMO you have way too many mist heads, cut by at least half, then check their coverage.

O/O times are critical to developing (or not) proper roots. Use short bursts with short off times

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

I dumped & replaced nutes today. They were from 9/28 and although the plants look great, they have not grown much since the last photos. I also lowered the height of the top by ~ 20". The 230w led might have been too close for the plants to need to grow taller

PPM ~ 350

pH ~ 6.2

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

It's been 5 days since dropping the seeds in water with a touch of Kelp, but only one seed cracked with the taproot barely sticking out, which it did 2 days ago

This also happened last time, but I decided to drop them in coco anyway and 5/6 grew, so that's what I just did. I use a clear plastic 6 egg holder, (which also has a lid) this helps to keep humidity high. The coco was pre- moistened and I hand spray as needed to keep the surface moist

Also, yesterday morning I pinched the top of the biggest plant

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

I finally found a nylon sock to replace the ped sockette (which has a loser weave). The actual sock has a much finer mesh. I immediately noticed better spray and after a couple hours no clogged mist heads

And the plants look lush and happy

I also added the second Emitter

Pics Friday

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

In spite of the tighter mesh nylon sock, I am STILL dealing with clogged mist heads. I will fold it over to double the filter

But somehow, the plants look quite healthy, happy, and are growing.

My mind is officially blown by how pathetic the roots look, especially on the 2 largest/fullest plants. Could that be because of the O2G?
groupwave.gif

Here's my method to start seedlings

IMG 4458
IMG 4460
IMG 4461
IMG 4463
IMG 4464

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

Sigh, still no popped seeds

Plants stretching up since moving the light way up. I am going to lower it a bit

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

Im glad I didn't buy these $200+ each seeds. Not a single one has broken through. I just dug them up, only 2/5 barely have a tap root. It makes ZERO sense that after ~ 2 weeks, these taproots are not growing. Keeping my fingers crossed, but...

Im going to drop new seeds from my crosses

When I start seedling/clones in LPA, I let the roots grow long enough so that when I move them into the flood totes, the 6"+ roots get a nice drink from each flood. (see pic)

Due to all the issues with these mist heads, I barely have roots, but in spite of them, the plants are 14-16" tall :badboy: So, I will not be able to use the lids in the F & D totes (as it raises the roots too high up to flood. Fortunately, mosquito season is almost over. To be safe, I will cover them with foil

IMG 4232
IMG 4466
IMG 4467
IMG 4465

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

the 2 seeds that at least cracked still haven't broken through the coco. I just fluffed the coco nd they appear still born

so I dropped 6 of my cross:Blueberry Cheesecake seeds pollinated with G13

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

Photo Update

My mind is still blown

mist heads have been working petty well for several days, though more of a stream than a spray. I just cleaned them, lot of spray now, so I cut back the on/off time. Shorter bursts seem to develop more roots/hairs

plants still growing and filling in, but vey little root development

IMG 4468
IMG 4470
IMG 4473
IMG 4472
Last edited:
PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

4/6 new seeds cracked, 2 with vg taproots. 3 have been moved to coco inserts

Roughly weeks ago, I started new seeds to test the O2G emitter, which seems to have saved this grow

3/4 plants started showing pistils yesterday; the male started developing coconuts a few days ago. I moved it outside this morning as I need the room in my starter tote

I will be making a fresh batch of nutes this morning

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

the inability to edit after ~ one hour remains a PITA

Seems like an easy fix, but...

anyway, I started first seeds late September, so these are almost 7 weeks old, but by all rights should have died long ago

Top Bottom