Hail Hydro 2.0: New Beginnings

• Thread starter PhatNuggz
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

I figured out why the small plant roots dried out

Originally the tote was horizontal, but I decided to tilt it toward the drain, which lowered the water level in the middle

She's recovering with lots of new root tips breaking through the bottom of the net pot

hth

Weed Dude

Weed Dude

It came with the little 1 inch air stones. I upgrade it from 3 in shallow net pots to 5 inch pots. The pump in the reservoir feeds the drippier manifold. each pot had one . I remember they had a green flag on them.The reservoir held about 21 gallons. I liked it put started running into root rot issue due to high reservoir temps. I ran promix for a bit then switched over to coco.

Weed Dude

Weed Dude

Just watched the video waiting on the numbers . Got the AMARE BAR 6 installed. LOVE the UV. Reminds me of the old 70's days. Have it on the lowest settings. Can't wait to crank her up!

BAR 6 Installed
BAR 6 UV
SPARECHANGE

SPARECHANGE

Made a few changes. Unrelated to them, I almost lost both plants

One of the problems with DWC is water/nute temps, which when too warm it will cause problems due to low DO. So, I did 2 things using things I had on hand (see photos)

* I wrapped the tote in aluminum insulation

* AND, since I am using a F & D tote, which already has a bulkhead, I inserted an o/o valve and put a bottom feed pump in a cooler and drain the nutes into the cooler to which I add a couple blue ice packs, and leave them in the cooler until the temp drops to ~ 65*s, at which point I turn the pump on to re-fill the tote. Once the nutes back into the tote, I close the valve and repeat every ~ 3 hours during lights on

Avoided a Disaster

I can't stress enough the importance of a strong multi-head air pump that has a adjustment valve. This allows for compensating when the water level is either too low, or too high. A week ago it was too high, and I was afraid of soaking the starter cubes, which would lead to root rot. Setting it too low and not enough droplets were splashing into the net pot= no root development. That almost cost me the small plant, which barely had any roots outside the net pot and completely dried out!, whereas the larger plant has roots down into the nutes. When the adjustment was too high it was likely getting too wet and started to get RR. Late yesterday I noticed some browning and wilted leaves. Last night I took it out and soaked it in ~ 5% H2O2 for ~ 15 minutes. This morning she's perked right back up, as has the small one

hth
foil will retain heat
conduct it
poor reflector

panda paper
mylar
flat white paint

just a suggestion

gorgeous setups, fellaz

beautiful

Last edited:
PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

After a week of no growth 😖 I made a fresh batch of nutes. Not being at all sure why, I had been blowing the fan (quite gently) over the 2 plants, so this morning I put it on circulate. Fingers crossed that one of these works

Weed Dude

Weed Dude

After a week of no growth 😖 I made a fresh batch of nutes. Not being at all sure why, I had been blowing the fan (quite gently) over the 2 plants, so this morning I put it on circulate. Fingers crossed that one of these works

How is your roots looking? Sometimes your growth is down below.

SPARECHANGE

SPARECHANGE

Im a dumb ass. Didn't even think it could have been the batteries, and it was, but it doesn't hurt to have a backup
that and the amzn overnight expectation.... lmfao

let's c ur meter graveyard

😁

SPARECHANGE

SPARECHANGE

rhetorical

but what were the ppm changes

over the last week

i know we're all getting a real kick out of seeing our friends fail

cause man

how many fuckin times

so just laughing with

not at

ummm

but i mention ppm

if u were tracking

because sometimes

when they don't drink/respire

or eat/ppm stagnant a couple days

yeah... u know ur rhythm

something is amiss

more oft than not

fucking calibration

so

to highlight

hunger strike

usually lockout n my limited experience

n ph at the root of most evilz

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

To answer the ppm question: < 300, yesterday's change 230

The previous nute change I added too much Kelp (< 1/8 tsp/2G, attempting to stimulate root development), which made the nute solution look quite dark and precipitates out of solution. Since just changing that out, cleaning the DWC tote and making fresh nutes, no discernible improvement, AND, pH STILL keeps rising 1 full point + daily (set at ~ 5.3 but jumps to 6.5+ by days end)

The one thing that has worried me is my Hydroponic Research V + B is 4+ years old and the dry powder has changed colors to a light orange, and is sticky. I may need to use something else to eliminate it as the potential problem. I just checked my backup pound of V + B, which is noticeably lighter in color and powdery, so making fresh nutes now

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

Editing time ran out on the above post, and I can't even delete it WTF?

The one thing that has worried me is I ran out of both NPK Raw Grow mix and Emerald Harvest Grow 3 part nutes. So, this grow I have been using 4+ years old Hydroponic Research V + B but the dry powder has changed colors to a light orange, and is sticky. I just checked my backup pound of V + B, which is noticeably lighter in color but still a bit sticky, making fresh nutes with it now, but I just ordered NPK RAW Grow nutes. Be here Wednesday thanks to Prime

The previous nute change I added too much Kelp (< 1/8 tsp/2G, attempting to stimulate root development), which made the nute solution look quite dark and precipitated out of solution. Since changing that out, cleaning the DWC tote and making fresh nutes, no discernible improvement, AND, pH STILL keeps rising 1 full point + daily (set at ~ 5.3 but jumps to 6.5+ by days end)

Dunking both in H2O2 several times per day

I may well need to drop some more seeds

Weed Dude

Weed Dude

Editing time ran out on the above post, and I can't even delete it WTF?

The one thing that has worried me is I ran out of both NPK Raw Grow mix and Emerald Harvest Grow 3 part nutes. So, this grow I have been using 4+ years old Hydroponic Research V + B but the dry powder has changed colors to a light orange, and is sticky. I just checked my backup pound of V + B, which is noticeably lighter in color but still a bit sticky, making fresh nutes with it now, but I just ordered NPK RAW Grow nutes. Be here Wednesday thanks to Prime

The previous nute change I added too much Kelp (< 1/8 tsp/2G, attempting to stimulate root development), which made the nute solution look quite dark and precipitated out of solution. Since changing that out, cleaning the DWC tote and making fresh nutes, no discernible improvement, AND, pH STILL keeps rising 1 full point + daily (set at ~ 5.3 but jumps to 6.5+ by days end)

Dunking both in H2O2 several times per day

I may well need to drop some more seeds
Need to use those old nutes on the lawn....

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

The other V + B is even worse at holding pH, jumping from 5.3 to 7.6 over night. NPK Raw Grow dry formula scheduled delivery for today

Top Bottom