Hail Hydro 2.0: New Beginnings

• Thread starter PhatNuggz
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

DOH. It occurred to me that people grow with SEA 90 minerals, which I have on hand for drinking purposes. I just dumped the nutes and made < 200ppm with Sea 90, pH to low 5s. I have a dental appointment and will be gone 3-4 hours. Certainly can't hurt at this point

Weed Dude

Weed Dude

DOH. It occurred to me that people grow with SEA 90 minerals, which I have on hand for drinking purposes. I just dumped the nutes and made < 200ppm with Sea 90, pH to low 5s. I have a dental appointment and will be gone 3-4 hours. Certainly can't hurt at this point

How did thy respond?

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

How did thy respond?

I don't think I made the solution strong enough, but the NPK RAW arrived yesterday afternoon, so I dumped the Sea 90 and made fresh nutes around 5pm. Too early BUT at 10 AM it does appear that some new roothairs are developing on an older root o one plant with "bigger" root mass. Fingers crossed

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

OK, enough is enough.

Short of pulling these 2 and starting over, I removed both from their net pots, and soaked the Brite Water coarse ceramic thingies in 20% H2O2. Meanwhile, I removed the starter cubes, both were quite wet (no bueno). So, essentially these are now clones, which allows me to feed some nutes from the top, which should help develop new roots along the stems above the bottom of the net pots. Some roots were lost in the process. The brown stained roots are from when I added Kelp, this was washed off as much as possible ,although the NPK RAW grow nutes turn the water brown, but should not be enough to stain new roots

Fingers crossed

IMG 4935
IMG 4937
IMG 4938
Last edited:
PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

Looks like my stubbornness is about to pay off. I see tiny new root tips

It occurred to me I could eliminate the pump and air stones by replacing my manual empty and fill method by using my Sentinel timer which has a digitally adjustable on off cycle. This means the nutes will drain back into the cooler awaiting the next on cycle. Very much like F & D, BUT, the roots need to get long first as my cooler is too small to contain enough nutes to reach the existing tiny roots

Last edited:
PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

In an effort to speed up the root regrowth I added some NPK RAW Enzymes this morning. Also I raised the water line to be much closer to the roots. Although they were wet, I don't think the nutes were getting deep enough into the Bright Water Filtration Media, which may be part of my slow regrowth problem. If I don't see significant root development I will dump them and go back to my stones

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

Just when things were looking up, late yesterday when I had drained the nutes to cool them, I forgot to pump them back into the tote. Fingers crossed they will survive this

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

I forgot to mention that I did 2 new things 2 days ago

1. I raised the water level to just below the net pots. I have been hesitant to do this as it caused RR in my last 4 grows, BUT, since I removed the starter cubes this is no longer an issue, and I felt that even though the roots were getting wet the nutes were not getting up into the main stem area

2. I added Aminos to fcilitate new root development

and I did see the beginning of new roots yesterday and then I screwed up forgetting to reflill the tote: Fingers crossed

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

Im tired of waiting for these 2 to revive, so I dropped 2 more Hindu Kush seeds this morning

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

New seeds have yet to break ground, and 2 plants still not making new roots.

I decided to throw in the towel with air pump/stones. I inserted my O2Grow 2020, but only using one emitter, which Ive been waiting to use for a couple years now. My question is: what level should the water line be at under the net pots to attract root development?

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

Finally, one 1/2 seeds dropped back on 7/25 has popped out of the starter cube. The other looks likely to make it too 🤓

This morning I redressed the 2 that are barely surviving. The Bright Stones may not be the best choice, so I surrounded them with small ornamental stones, except for the cap

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

Im feeling good about the existing 2 recovering, although quite likely their hard beginnings will not allow them to fully develop

I should have thought of this from te getgo: I moved the 2 new seedlings (2nd should pop up today) into net pots with proper stone drainage on the bottom. This should allow the cubes to drain easier (they were staying too wet).

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

Good News Bad News

The 2 plants are developing new roots

1/2 of the seeds fell over and died, due to the shell not breaking off and the tap root not getting any photons. Dropped another HK seed into the starter cube. 2/2 seems to be SLOWLY popping up

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

As you can imagine, I am frustrated with how slow the recovery is going, AND, the new seeds not popping, so I dropped one of my Blueberry Cheesecake this morning

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

I don't have any idea why the HK seeds are not vigorous, but...

Here's a picture of my BBCK seed I dropped in water yesterday morning. The same technique as with the HK seeds! Notice the taproot is already >1/4".

So I just checked the 2 newer HK seeds (dropped 7/25!) which are in starter cubes, they are barely out of their shells

At least I know it's not me
🤓

IMG 4950
PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

Being frustrated, but not willing to throw in the towel, I took the lid off the tote yesterday. This morning the nutes are still 'cool', whereas with the lid on and even HD foil over it to reflect the heat, I had to drain the nutes into a cooler with ice paks every couple hours because they got too warm

So yesterday morning I took the lid off (see pics) and the seedlings seemed to have responded positively. Of course this will mean algae, but I can deal with that until they develop a root system

Fingers crossed

IMG 4951
IMG 4952
PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

The plant in the lower right is doing well, finally. Alas, the other one not so much. Odd, since everything is the same.

I am going to try starting another Hindu Kush, but this time I am back to the Rapid Rooter starter cubes, and going to put it along with the HK dry seed in a shot glass

IMG 4953
IMG 4954
PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

Since the white starter cubes have not worked as I expected, I decided to start one more Hindu Kush, in a moistened Rapid Rooter starter cube, without pre-soaking the seed, but inserting it, which was then inserted into a shot glass then covered in a plastic container to keep moisture in. I also added a moist napkin, all to keep the inside moisture up. It worked great, popping up in 2 days. Now can I get it past this stage? Fingers crossed

IMG 4955
IMG 4956
IMG 4960
PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

Yesterday I covered the tops of each seedling with a black plastic disc. This morning the old one started turning green again. Hmmmm

The new seedling's tap root is already exiting the bottom of the RR, so I moved it into a double 3" net pot. The bottom pot has 1/2" marbles to provide a barrier so that the RR doesn't get soaked when I move it to the SWB (shallow water bubbler)

I also added some Watt-Ahh, a high performance water that I bought for personal use, but trying in these, adding to both the nutes and the spray bottle. I also used this water in my morning coffee. I was told by the company to reduce the coffee grinds by 50%. I did and it tasted the same, so...

Last edited:
PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

Great news is that my newest seed starter technique is working. The plant is getting taller, and importantly the leafs are getting bigger, so this morning, I decided to start one of my Blue Berry Cheesecake seeds. Good news aside, the old seedling is neither growing nor dieing, which motivated me to start another seed

Reactions: N4M

Latest posts

Top Bottom