HALP! CMH lights- what is going on?

• Thread starter Thetinman
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Yeah idk I'll prob have to just test myself. No doubt a reflective surface will increase light. No idea where the sensor location is on that.

Think I'll just watch from the sideline as I'm not quite sure what the issue is and it makes no sense to me why reflecting light is bad and how it only pertains to cmh. To much light is to much light. Reflection helps keep even light spread along the sides also

Thetinman

Thetinman

Hmmm, this is Just for CMH. I thought you were using diods no? Cant use anything I might bring up, just for Cmh. But looking at them, could it be the cup is holding them in too much heat? Maybe cut a 1/2" wide width down to the dirt. Airflow a bit maybe?

Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
It happens with mostly cheaper tents that are too good to be true on the price tag.
The problem is called "off gassing"
There are toxic fumes that are spread through the tent. Nothing will grow in them.
The same thing could happen with buildings (no explanation of why nothing will grow) You could have toxins in the water (so i suggest trying RO, if you haven't)
Is there another building near you that manufacturers anything?
The CMH, panda film, reflection....They are NOT the problem.
Do you know the ppms of CO2 in the room? I've been through, or seen every issue (or just about). There should be absolutely no reason your plants are not growing.
Are there any pro's on this forum? I mean guys who have been doing this 30+ years?
If you know of any, other than me, ask them, and you'll get the same answer.
Or Google Off gassing and cannabis.
I'm not 100%, but it's the best explanation i can think of, besides bunk seeds

Yea, I tend to agree with you on this account. I was even thinking aphids maybe, but there still not showing themselves or something, or a mold or organism....

Tasty Buds

Tasty Buds

Yea, I tend to agree with you on this account. I was even thinking aphids maybe, but there still not showing themselves or something, or a mold or organism....
I thought of that too, but ya need roots for aphids to attrack

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
The university of Utah has done extensive testing and deemed the Phillips cmh closest bulb to sunlight and best for plant growth start to finish.

I had no problem growing many plants in a reflective 3x3 tent but it’s intense. Can be hard to manage and keep up. It was easier in my open flower room.

I barely see the problem you are convinced you have but I think it’s mild water stress. It sure is not the light.

That's what I thought when I seen many of the plants also, mild water stress, could actually be a combination of water stress and some sort of pathological mildew even, these are the kinds of symptoms that show. I dumped mid-grow behind this kind of bullshit, and culled everything, started over....

Got sick of searching for the issue after 2 months, everyone could only say nitrogen!

Madbud

Madbud

I don't have your kind of sensor. But reflection with HPS WORKS! I have used Orca for years using HPS. But here in the desert, and with bad reflection from this silver bubble wrap might be the cause.
But do remember, when I get the plastic up, I will flip certain Orca sheets over to bright side.
Its a very old photography meter with a slotted cover and removable hood for high or low light readings. With the hood attached those readings are of the soil surface. I’m liking the led so far, or at least the dimmer, full on she pegs the meter.

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
Personally, if I were you, I would set a timer on ironing out this issue. aka a end date, for resolution.

This is the spring, and you don't want to be starting out this way, and if you can't find the problem at some point, I would bag it, show it the door, clean up everything, including every particle of soil and start over. That might sound a bit extreme, but that's exactly what I did, and I'm happy I did, Because this year's going to be stellar for me, and some sickly plant's aren't going to be my undoing.

Have a backup plan in place.

Thetinman

Thetinman

Now at 90% covered with black plastic.
The curling WENT AWAY! LOOKIN GOOD!

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Just going to point out it may be beneficial to show pics of each so other can see the difference and not just text.

Thetinman

Thetinman

Last part of plastic is a bitch, taking my time... you will see by these photos, that they were alot worse (sorry did not take a photo...)

Thetinman

Thetinman

Here you can see there is no stretching. They are simply growing....

IMG 20210323 133541
IMG 20210323 133529
Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
I spent several hours last night in the bathtub washing freaking 30-40 cloth pots, scrubbing roots off the material and getting things sterile and fresh again, I've got another 30-40 in there waiting for me right now, soaking in bleach water. All the 300-400lbs of soil I've carried up 2 flights of stairs has been removed and replaced with the hydro setup and 2 bags of fresh soil for seedlings.

I feel like a dirt farmer, and it feels kinda good, actually.

That old soil was crawling with beneficals and lot's of good stuff, I could have probably done something to salvage it, perhaps heating, but no dice, I wanted to be sure that the issues were removed. It was a lot of work, but it was the right choice, I think, in the long run. I sprayed the front porch down with azomite, and garlic mixture, same with the walls of the plant rooms and floors, the tents, everything.... Doing some major spring cleaning here, and I think it's well worth the efforts.

Thetinman

Thetinman

DAAAAAAMN! YOU are swamped! I have a pretty good cleaner. After install I brushed them and squeegeed off (not really). I have cleaned this room so many time over the past 5 years of building it piece by piece. But I will only have to deal with is 2 trays!

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
Ur absolutely right.

Holy shit, your leaf margins edges are shriveling up and dying. Another thing I'm noticing is that there's no pronounced v in the leafs, and they seem much thinner than they should be. They don't look fully engaged to into transpiration, IMO. I've seen this on my own plants before and never could put my finger on what was happening. Personally, I think it's something microbial, like a stress response to a mildew or something...

Is that green algae I'm seeing in the media there? If so, that would be a sign of excessive moisture for sure.

Thetinman

Thetinman

DUDE! They got fried only 2 days ago. What you are seeing is the last gasps of curling. It's almost gone!
A comeback from all these plants STOPPED cold and would not move for 2 weeks. Then I bought a CMH light, then I bought another. They started growing, but something was still yellowing out and splotchy to my girls.
So I tried using Orca, that was yesterday and it almost fried me and the plants by using that stuff. They were bad off yesterday. And in 24 hours they came back this far, with no permanent problems. You are looking at a leaf that had WILTED. SO what you are seeing is pretty impressive if you look at from that angle...

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
Thing about the cloth bags is this. I really love them, but their certainly more work. The bag actually "becomes" part of the media, and the roots grow into the bags themselves, and the roots attach themselves to the bags,.

When you harvest, much of the roots stick to the inside of the bags, especially at the bottoms. That old root debris becomes an issue, if it's not brushed, cleaned off well, because the next sets of roots have problems, either not able to sick to the bags as before, or from the decomposition of the rotting root material, either way, it's got to be cleaned off.... It's an long arduous process, especially when doing it inside the bathtub, would be easier, perhaps, if I was doing it outside and didn't have to worry about cleanup...

Or maybe the washing machine, but I don't want to fuck up the washer.

IMG 20210323 134938267
IMG 20210323 134950068
Thetinman

Thetinman

I never really reused em, I use to drop off whole bags to a friend. I didnt want them back (no stiffness to em) but he felt he HAD to wash and give em back. Trashed his washer, he even dried em. I would find a high spinning action redneck style, with water spitting from center. Keep pumping and it will come off eventually, but damn, you guys crazy...haha

Thetinman

Thetinman

These will be turned into clones, mostly. Then I get to test a clone machine with these lights. Will try one single clone off to the side of tray with machine....wish me luck...

Top Bottom