Hard Water Mo' Problems

• Thread starter Zed Walker
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Z

Zed Walker

The water in my town is particularly rich at 750 ppm and coming out of my RO at 500.
How much more Cal/mag supplementation should I be adding to my nute soup considering the high tds?
Also, how should this effect the amount ( or ppm )of base nutrient added?

Z

Zed Walker

For sure on that, however I was under the impression that you can only remove a percentage of the solids using reverse osmosis. If i remember correctly my brand new filters were removing between 350 and 400 ppm.
Another factor that Im still shaky on is whether or not I subtract the initial ppm of my nutes from the end.

ttystikk

ttystikk

Back to the show; it is both true that ro devices leave some solids behind- and that yours is well past its prime, due no doubt to the extremely hard water conditions there. A new folder and membrane are needed.

While getting those, look into getting a water softener system that it's compatible with your ro. They do exist, and they extend the life of your ro filter membrane substantially, as well as helping your house tap water taste better.

sixstring

sixstring

yeah it sounds like its time for new filters or a new system.my water comes out of my well @ around 500ppm sometimes higher,but after it gets cleaned from the r/o it is around 6-10ppm.a bit lower with brand new filters.

J

Jalisco Kid

Ask your water company for it's analysis on whats in your water, Mine I thought was high at 560ppm, rich is not a word I would use to describe the crap in our drinking water though.

woodsmaneh

woodsmaneh

You should be able to back flush your membrane, I would also invest in a large house 1 micron pre filter.

J

justhydronow

It’s time to change your RO filter. Keep a close watch on PPM; it must be in range for healthy growth.

Top Bottom