Hardening off

• Thread starter Fr3nzy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Fr3nzy

Fr3nzy

Started hardening off plants a couple days ago, today they was out for 10 hours. They seem fine, should I be able to put them out in a couple days?
Hardening off

Fr3nzy

Fr3nzy

Temps at night are 60+ now, but shouldn't drop under 50 again

Madbud

Madbud

I found a couple males last week and put them outside to test the climate. Snowed lightly one night, frost warning another, huge storm yesterday, they’re doing fine. Put my girls out today for good.

Fr3nzy

Fr3nzy

So you know it was a Male before flower? I'm assuming same strain and look diffrent? Can I assume the broad thick one (back left)is a male and the others are female? These are bag seeds. It is definitely the odd one out of all 11.
20200516 223345
20200516 223351

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Pot plants are super hardy and acclimate quick if the temperature is ok. When outdoor night temps average out above 10 c/50f is when I put them outside, and I'm pretty crude about it. They get a day in the shade first, then I'll pull them into diffused sun below a tree branch or something the next day, then put them in the most well lit spot I got after that. Never had an issue, and they usually seem to love it right away.

Last edited:
Fr3nzy

Fr3nzy

But just one out of 11? Seems to lucky for me lol. Buts it's the only one like that. And I'm sure they all have the 2 hairs. They are 24hour light and around 7 weeks old. Didnt think got balls till after flip.

BudBogart

BudBogart

I’m in NorCal, planted outside 2 weeks ago! Gentle rain the past couple of days. The plants are loving it.
I did have them outside off and on since popping. Only 15 hours light each day.

Madbud

Madbud

But just one out of 11? Seems to lucky for me lol. Buts it's the only one like that. And I'm sure they all have the 2 hairs. They are 24hour light and around 7 weeks old. Didnt think got balls till after flip.
I can’t spot males any orher way. Have had tall spindly ones i was sure would be males that were female and short bushy ones that looked female but grew pollen pods. 🙄

Fr3nzy

Fr3nzy

Getting ready to plant outside, should I use horticulture oil for spraying at night for bugs? If not that what is a good foliar spray to deter bugs. Also how often to spray them?

Madbud

Madbud

Getting ready to plant outside, should I use horticulture oil for spraying at night for bugs? If not that what is a good foliar spray to deter bugs. Also how often to spray them?
I alternate neem oil And spinosad just before dark for leaf hoppers then btk for caterpillars in late July.

Fr3nzy

Fr3nzy

One night one, one night the other? Also is this every night? Besides rain I'd assume.

mancorn

mancorn

Unless you have a problem you shouldn't have to be spraying. Maintenance spray of neem would be a couple times a month. If your susceptible to PM you could try a systemic. If you have bud worms then you'll want to spray before you see them, but no reason to be spraying every (other) night. Spraying at night in general isn't a good idea as it will lead to PM and mold. Bt worm spray breaks down in the sun, so one of the few I'd spray in the early evening. Better to do your sprays in the early morning.

Fr3nzy

Fr3nzy

I'm assuming there will be a bug problem just by what I've seen from prior summers. Emerald ash bore is a problem. And I know boring beetles tend to enjoy the plants. It's about 30 ft from a slow moving stream that I have been freeing up to stop the stagnating pools in it. Lots of chewed up leaves on the property.

Madbud

Madbud

Not every night and i kind of agree with wait and see, because there is no “one spray fits all”. Neem or spinosad once or twice/month, May-July, late day, til they flower. The only thing i spray on early buds is btk, because i know there will be caterpillars. I spray before it rains to spread it thoroughly on the plant and right after, it seems rain hatches the eggs. Right now, my main concern is whether the f’in aphids on my roses will develop a taste for cannabis.

mancorn

mancorn

I'm assuming there will be a bug problem just by what I've seen from prior summers. Emerald ash bore is a problem. And I know boring beetles tend to enjoy the plants. It's about 30 ft from a slow moving stream that I have been freeing up to stop the stagnating pools in it. Lots of chewed up leaves on the property.
I've never had a chewer that was able to overtake my plants, it's primarily the piercer/suckers that cause all the problems - aphids, mites, thrips, and spit bugs (as they carry Xylella). I saw a bunch of grasshopper yesterday, but they're more of a pee nuisance. Don't know anything about boring beetles, but make sure they're going after your crops before trying to take em down. By doing a ton of spraying you might be laying waste to everything, which will make you easy prey for the bad bugs. One of the advantages about being outside is that you have some natural protection when the bad bugs show up. (As opposed to being inside where you have no help and Mother normally wins.) Hopefully you can get your plants large enough to where losing leaves isn't a big deal. Where I'm at it's the damn bud worm. I spray Bt and Spinoside but get hammered every year.

Last edited:
mancorn

mancorn

Not every night and i kind of agree with wait and see, because there is no “one spray fits all”. Neem or spinosad once or twice/month, May-July, late day, til they flower. The only thing i spray on early buds is btk, because i know there will be caterpillars. I spray before it rains to spread it thoroughly on the plant and right after, it seems rain hatches the eggs. Right now, my main concern is whether the f’in aphids on my roses will develop a taste for cannabis.

Do you see the adults? I have a ton of the skipper butterflies and always see them landing on my plants (especially the top colas). But I always read that they're from little brown moths, which I don't see. I grew one out years ago, but have forgotten what it was.

Latest posts

Top Bottom