Hardening off

• Thread starter Fr3nzy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Madbud

Madbud

Do you see the adults? I have a ton of the skipper butterflies and always see them landing on my plants (especially the top colas). But I always read that they're from little brown moths, which I don't see. I grew one out years ago, but have forgotten what it was.
I get a white butterfly all summer, plus moths, obviously the cats start out teensy weensy but in a week they’ll wreck a couple buds as they grow.

Madbud

Madbud

Sucking bugs like leafhopper nymphs are vectors. If they bite a diseased plant they can spread it to a healthy one.

mancorn

mancorn

I get a white butterfly all summer, plus moths, obviously the cats start out teensy weensy but in a week they’ll wreck a couple buds as they grow.
I see a fair amount of the white butterflies, but hardly ever on the plant. The skippers are always landing on the buds, normally the tallest one, and they showed up about 2 weeks ago. When I'm digging them out they look like this (but yes super small in the beginning)

And I see lots of these eggs

Madbud

Madbud

I see a fair amount of the white butterflies, but hardly ever on the plant. The skippers are always landing on the buds, normally the tallest one, and they showed up about 2 weeks ago. When I'm digging them out they look like this (but yes super small in the beginning)
View attachment 976217

And I see lots of these eggs

View attachment 976221
Yup, btk kills ‘em and they say you can spray til harvest but do i really want to smoke butterfly poop? I give everything a good rinse after chop.

mancorn

mancorn

Yup, btk kills ‘em and they say you can spray til harvest but do i really want to smoke butterfly poop? I give everything a good rinse after chop.
I could live with the poop, it's the rot all around the poop. I'm sure everyone who has them knows the experience of looking at your huge delicious bud and then you see the tinniest sugar leaf with a slight discoloration. Give the leaf a little pull and the whole bud falls off the plant in a big pile of shit. It is kind of amazing how intact/healthy the bud will look, only to have some big fat worms in the middle chomping away for weeks.

I'm at the point where I just chop out every other bud site so the buds don't stack up, as almost inevitable if I don't it will get infested.

Madbud

Madbud

Right, i usually spot a couple while the plants are drying. Drop down on a thread, like a navy seal.

mancorn

mancorn

Right, i usually spot a couple while the plants are drying. Drop down on a thread, like a navy seal.
Dang just went in the back yard to have a cold one and see this fella chomping away. This one looks like a keeper (hopefully).

Top Bottom