Harvest Time?? Is there a formula?

• Thread starter SugarsNFans
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
SugarsNFans

SugarsNFans

I'm always unsure as to when to harvest. It looks very amber in person but only on certain colas. I don't want to wait too long but i have no idea was 70% amber truly means if that makes sense. Any help or hints would be appreciated. Thx.
Harvest time is there a formula
Harvest time is there a formula 2
Harvest time is there a formula 3

Deadstill

Deadstill

I'm from the government, and I'm here to help.
Supporter
70% amber? Generally you want between 10-20% amber at harvest. 70% man that sounds like 1 hit and pass the fuck out till the next day 🤣 🤣 🤣

If I haven't said it before, Howdy, and welcome to the Farm! 🤠

Yeah generally you want all your trichomes to be cloudy and not clear, with 10 to 20% amber trichomes, that's usually the queue for chop time.

SugarsNFans

SugarsNFans

70% amber? Generally you want between 10-20% amber at harvest. 70% man that sounds like 1 hit and pass the fuck out till the next day 🤣 🤣 🤣

If I haven't said it before, Howdy, and welcome to the Farm! 🤠

Yeah generally you want all your trichomes to be cloudy and not clear, with 10 to 20% amber trichomes, that's usually the queue for chop time.
Well... i guess its time. Lol Thanks for the reply.

2Water

2Water

If you are going by pitil and not trichome, then I would say you are a couple weeks off. There is still alot of white pistils and they haven't shrunk back in yet. Watch for the shrink, then check your trichomes. Should get you where you want

SugarsNFans

SugarsNFans

Ok thank you. I see the pistils are still white but the amber color throws me off. I guess i need to pick a side. Lol.

2Water

2Water

Ok thank you. I see the pistils are still white but the amber color throws me off. I guess i need to pick a side. Lol.
No, there is amber to consider on both sides of the chart. I was meaning to say, follow the pistils. Wait for them to stop growing new white pistils and shrinking in to itself. That is when you can look for 65% amber pistils.

At that point, check the trichomes and get to whatever percentage amber trichomes you want. Hope's that helps. Best of luck, they look great!

M

mdterpz532

I am going thru the same.
I myself am looking for majority cloudy tricomes. Not " I think that's cloudy" but all cloudy. But here and there a clear and here or there an amber.
Most plants will run at least 2 months from first flip of the light. I started with 6, Flipped on the may 28th, I had a harvest a herm early, then I chopped two 6 days ago, and I still have 3 running. Might chop one tonight. The other is going till at least Sunday, it is very close, and the most green one I plan on having for another 2 weeks. If that helps. I'm a newbie. And you can read and research all you want but I don't think there is any alternative to just trying doffrent things.

Also look for majority of the pistols
(hairs) to have changed from an alive and saturated look and color to a dried up Nd darker color.

There is a bit too it.

Water intake and nutrient intake, is there a noticeable downturn in your feeding schedule. Soil still damp on feed day, or pot still heavy..
All that goes into if your plant is close to harvest or not. Don't think too much about it.
Hope that helps a bit.

20230724 171551
20230724 171540
20230724 170751
20230722 125340
Photo 2023 07 16 14 22 31 010
Estukay

Estukay

By those pictures they are not even close to being done.

When you check trichomes make sure you are looking at the ones on the bud itself. Not on the leaves. The ones on the leaves will turn amber much sooner than the ones on the bud. I wouldn't even look until you have at least 75% red hairs.

LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
When i said 70% I was referring to this kinda chart but its hard for me to decide when the plant doesnt change all at the same time. Smh
I like the chart.

I struggle with deciding when to harvest. One of my plants is going to be chopped soon. I look at both pistils and trichomes, but don't start checking trichomes on the buds until I see plenty of amber pistils. I've been advised to watch the pistils at the top. If they're still white, then the buds are still growing.

Here's one of the colas from a plant that's close to harvest time. I think it may need another week or more. It's now at the end of its 10th week of 12/12 light. I'm getting the drying tent ready.

SugarsNFans

SugarsNFans

I myself am looking for majority cloudy tricomes. Not " I think that's cloudy" but all cloudy. But here and there a clear and here or there an amber.
Most plants will run at least 2 months from first flip of the light. I started with 6, Flipped on the may 28th, I had a harvest a herm early, then I chopped two 6 days ago, and I still have 3 running. Might chop one tonight. The other is going till at least Sunday, it is very close, and the most green one I plan on having for another 2 weeks. If that helps. I'm a newbie. And you can read and research all you want but I don't think there is any alternative to just trying doffrent things.

(hairs) to have changed from an alive and saturated look and color to a dried up Nd darker color.

There is a bit too it.

Water intake and nutrient intake, is there a noticeable downturn in your feeding schedule. Soil still damp on feed day, or pot still heavy..
All that goes into if your plant is close to harvest or not. Don't think too much about it.
Hope that helps a bit.

There is a bit too it.

Hope that helps a bit.
Thanks for the reply. It is very confusing. The soil is dry and pots are light when the next watering is set to occur. I am currently in week 6, maybe 7 of flowering. Ill try to keep these things in mind about the amber color and cloudy vs clear. I think I'm just going to let her go another 2 weeks.

SugarsNFans

SugarsNFans

I like the chart.

I struggle with deciding when to harvest. One of my plants is going to be chopped soon. I look at both pistils and trichomes, but don't start checking trichomes on the buds until I see plenty of amber pistils. I've been advised to watch the pistils at the top. If they're still white, then the buds are still growing.

Here's one of the colas from a plant that's close to harvest time. I think it may need another week or more. It's now at the end of its 10th week of 12/12 light. I'm getting the drying tent ready.

View attachment 2013523
Beautiful!! Middle of the plant is very amber but the upper cola is still white. Thanks for the tip about watching the pistils at the top.

SugarsNFans

SugarsNFans

No, there is amber to consider on both sides of the chart. I was meaning to say, follow the pistils. Wait for them to stop growing new white pistils and shrinking in to itself. That is when you can look for 65% amber pistils.

At that point, check the trichomes and get to whatever percentage amber trichomes you want. Hope's that helps. Best of luck, they look great!
Ok.. So follow the pistils amd wait for them to curl back towards the flower then check trichomes. Awesome advice. Thanks.

socks4free

socks4free

I'm always unsure as to when to harvest. It looks very amber in person but only on certain colas. I don't want to wait too long but i have no idea was 70% amber truly means if that makes sense. Any help or hints would be appreciated. Thx.
View attachment 2013472View attachment 2013473View attachment 2013474
You should get a magnifying scope or jewelers loop so you can take a look at the trichromes. The 70% means when looking at the trichromes under a magnifying glass roughly 70% of the trichromes are amber colored and the other 30% are cloudy/milky colored.

This is really the only way to know for sure how far along your plants are. Just going by the colors of the hairs is not very accurate as every plant grows a bit differently so some. Plants hairs could go orange while the plant still is mostly clear/cloudy trichomes while another strain could go orange when there is 50% amber.

socks4free

socks4free

Here is a picture I found with a quick Google search which is a fairly good example of what 60-70% amber would look like under a magnifying glass.

When you use this way to check your plants you want to check your plants in multiple spots across the plant to get a good idea of how far along the plant it. One area of the plant could look like this while a few branches down there could be buds that are still only 10% amber.

Example of many amber trichomes
TLOnewbie

TLOnewbie

C

chronic2

Banana;
Full Green: Not ripe: Chalky, no taste.
Green at the top, yellow body: I'd eat it.
Full bright yellow body, best taste: Ripe.
Brown spots: Overripe.

Plant;
White cunt hairs: Unripe.
Clear oil: Unripe.
Brown cunt hairs: Ripe.
Cloudy oil: Ripe.
Gold/engine oil colored oil: Overripe.

Raggedge Pick:
3/4 brown to 1/4 white cunt hairs: Pick.
7/8 Cloudy, the rest gold in color: Pick.
End of season: Pull no matter what before first rain.

E

Eclipted

6 weeks in flower. They are not amber yet but the pistils are turning amber..
I’m right where you’re at bro. I’m week 6 day 3 into my flower and I would say I have a few weeks to go my trichs aren’t even cloudy yet. Def invest in a microscope to check your tricks for a more accurate harvest time.

395DE04A 3920 4A48 BB9F 43392511CCD6
64EC0568 2EF8 42DA AF68 32771E85C238
M

mdterpz532

Looking good tho. It is a bit that is considered. How many plants are you running? Maybe try to do one at the "peak" time then let one go for a bit longer and see if you notice a diffrence either way.

Latest posts

Top Bottom