Harvesting question time one or all?

• Thread starter Jamesparks
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
J

Jamesparks

First time growing, and from all that I read you’re supposed to watch the trichromes to determine harvest, which I have the right magnifier to do. But are you supposed to look at every bud or just the big ones to determine trichromes? There are a ton of buds if you’re supposed to look at everyone! And if the trichromes are right do you just harvest that one bud or all them?

Harvesting question time one or all
Harvesting question time one or all 2
Harvesting question time one or all 3
Harvesting question time one or all 4
Harvesting question time one or all 5
B

Bdubs

Yo. Trichomes on the leaves are an entirely different deal. Focus the trichomes on the buds. Milky white. Or slightly amber. Depending on what kind of bud you’re looking for.

Multiple plants, you may consider different harvest times. But, essentially you pull them all when you reach the trichomes you want on the best buds.

70% amber hairs? Start checking trichomes.

If they are milky, post up pics in the jewelers eye and we can make recommendations for you.

J

Jamesparks

Yo. Trichomes on the leaves are an entirely different deal. Focus the trichomes on the buds. Milky white. Or slightly amber. Depending on what kind of bud you’re looking for.

Multiple plants, you may consider different harvest times. But, essentially you pull them all when you reach the trichomes you want on the best buds.

70% amber hairs? Start checking trichomes.

If they are milky, post up pics in the jewelers eye and we can make recommendations for you.
I don’t know how I can possibly get a pic. This microscope thing is very hard for me to keep steady and focus and I can barely keep it still to focus on the trichromes. Is it ok to use or is there something easier?

IMG 0809
B

Bdubs

A jewelers loop can be put up to the phone camera and take decent photos.

quirk

quirk

I don’t know how I can possibly get a pic. This microscope thing is very hard for me to keep steady and focus and I can barely keep it still to focus on the trichromes. Is it ok to use or is there something easier?
I purchased this unit for close up pics/video. I had to get an after market stand but it was cheap and functional. Last pic is my Picasso like pressed rosin puck under scope.

Screenshot 38
IMG 20230208 215626124
2023 03 08 20 51 05 286
J

Jamesparks

I purchased this unit for close up pics/video. I had to get an after market stand but it was cheap and functional. Last pic is my Picasso like pressed rosin puck under scope.
Wow that’s amazing. I’ll check it out. Thanks for sharing!

J

Jamesparks

Thanks for the input. Much appreciated. It’s been quite the learning experience and much much respect for all you growers, or should I say farmers, scientists, analysts, etc. the list goes on.

Choppr

Choppr

@Jamesparks this works better for checking Trichomes than the microscope noted above....fits on any phone- and not so shaky

jdog22

jdog22

i got a awesome zoom thing for my camera from the hydro store! 80 bucks but 100% worth insane quality

trustyagut

trustyagut

Looking great, they're going to be really nice in a month. Definitely get a 40-60x loupe with the led lights in them. Takes 2 seconds to check them then

M

mothy

People need to stop using super zoomed in pics to try to determine if the plant should be chopped. You need to look at the WHOLE PLANT! Has the plant even gone through the "fade" yet? The fade is important, because it means that the plant has been using the last amount of nitrogen in its leaves, so you don't end up with excess nitrogen and chlorophyll in your buds during curing. If you harvest before the fade, you may have issues purging the chlorophyll and "hay" flavor from your buds. So that is step 1, step 2 is look at your pistils. Are you seeing new white pistils that are long and straight? Or are you seeing mostly orange/brown pistils and the white ones are only a few and they are deformed? If all the pistils are white, don't chop, if most are brown / orange, you can move on to looking at trichomes. You don't goto your doctor with a bullet wound and have him zoom all the way into your armpit to give you a diagnosis? Stop zooming into trichs!

J

Jamesparks

People need to stop using super zoomed in pics to try to determine if the plant should be chopped. You need to look at the WHOLE PLANT! Has the plant even gone through the "fade" yet? The fade is important, because it means that the plant has been using the last amount of nitrogen in its leaves, so you don't end up with excess nitrogen and chlorophyll in your buds during curing. If you harvest before the fade, you may have issues purging the chlorophyll and "hay" flavor from your buds. So that is step 1, step 2 is look at your pistils. Are you seeing new white pistils that are long and straight? Or are you seeing mostly orange/brown pistils and the white ones are only a few and they are deformed? If all the pistils are white, don't chop, if most are brown / orange, you can move on to looking at trichomes. You don't goto your doctor with a bullet wound and have him zoom all the way into your armpit to give you a diagnosis? Stop zooming into trichs!
Thanks for sharing that. Huge learning curve for me. Much appreciated!

LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
First time growing, and from all that I read you’re supposed to watch the trichromes to determine harvest, which I have the right magnifier to do. But are you supposed to look at every bud or just the big ones to determine trichromes? There are a ton of buds if you’re supposed to look at everyone! And if the trichromes are right do you just harvest that one bud or all them?
There isn't a single correct answer to your questions. Much of the harvest time decision depends on what the grower wants from the crop, and knowing that takes experience. Some prefer an early harvest, and some prefer a late harvest. I've done it both ways. Mostly, I like the mellow body high of a later harvest, so I try not to rush to harvest. The species and strain also matter, though.

Buds near the top of the plant will ripen sooner than lower buds, so some growers will harvest the top buds and leave the lower buds to ripen. That's been too much work for me so far in my growing.

I don't look at every bud. I only look at some of them. I also don't just look at the buds. The pistils and leaves, etc. matter too.

cannafarmer420

cannafarmer420

I ♥ fat colas
Supporter
Regardless you have a 2 weekish window where its ideal imo I just get it close trichome wise and then pick a day that is convinient for me to harvest

Top Bottom