Has anybody ever just used feminized seeds to grow in tent? Do you get big grows?

• Thread starter Rebeccalovato777
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Rebeccalovato777

Rebeccalovato777

couldn't pay me to run autos personally. consider those things to be birdseed at best. photoperiods, all the time. not a huge fan of feminized either but will run them if a strain only comes feminized or don't have the time to veg and sex plants.
Sweet that's what I was hoping new to this so I was hearing go Auto flower buttheir to small! What's the biggest plant you got from photo periods if you don't mind me asking? I have some coming and was debating on saving them till next summer for outdoor but I think I'm gonna go for it! Thanks

tobh

tobh

Supporter
Sweet that's what I was hoping new to this so I was hearing go Auto flower buttheir to small! What's the biggest plant you got from photo periods if you don't mind me asking? I have some coming and was debating on saving them till next summer for outdoor but I think I'm gonna go for it! Thanks
over the years, sizes have varied. this thread was only two plants, nearly filled the 4x4 tent. I won't do that again though because it takes too damn long to veg em out, so now i just run more plants with less veg time. always from clones, never from seed so that i can ensure some semblance of uniformity across the plants.

outdoors is a whole other story. the size of the plant is constrained by the size of its container, so you can either keep the plants small-ish or grow monstrous trees.

Ponky

Ponky

Fem seeds are ok. But nothing beats plants grown from regular seeds bred correctly. Fem seeds can give you huge buds. But those huge buds can be susceptible to bud rot and growing seeds. But autos tend to be worse genetically. Fem seeds are ok. And regular seeds are king of the seeds.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Fem seeds are ok. But nothing beats plants grown from regular seeds bred correctly. Fem seeds can give you huge buds. But those huge buds can be susceptible to bud rot and growing seeds. But autos tend to be worse genetically. Fem seeds are ok. And regular seeds are king of the seeds.
Huh? Size of buds is related to if they are fem or not? And fem means they are susceptible to bud rot?

You made my record skip with that one. I don't believe the science would bear that out my friend.

Rebeccalovato777

Rebeccalovato777

Huh? Size of buds is related to if they are fem or not? And fem means they are susceptible to bud rot?

You made my record skip with that one. I don't believe the science would bear that out my friend.
That very interesting I didn't know that! Bud rott is no good completely ruined! I try to avoid that ! Thanks for the information!

Ponky

Ponky

From my experience every hybrid femenized seeds I've grown get bud rot. The indicas don't. And clones from regs don't. I've so far not been able to purchase femenized seeds that haven't had rot or some seeds. But I've heard good femenized seeds exist. I've never had budrot when I grow clones. So if someone had good femenized seeds buy those. I've never had luck.

Ponky

Ponky

Actually I am saying the opposite. Fem seeds are not different from Regs in regards to plant morphology, only the sex. XY vs XX chromosome kinda thing.
Yeah I've been trying to buy good femenized seeds forever. Who has good ones that don't have seeds and don't get fungus? These government ones are fungus resistant but full of little seeds.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

From my experience every hybrid femenized seeds I've grown get bud rot. The indicas don't. And clones from regs don't. I've so far not been able to purchase femenized seeds that haven't had rot or some seeds. But I've heard good femenized seeds exist. I've never had budrot when I grow clones. So if someone had good femenized seeds buy those. I've never had luck.
Got it.

I'll let the grow gods and breeders correct me if I am wrong, but the feminization process is basically spraying a portion or all of a female plant with SPS Silver, which causes the plant stress in a way that it hermies where the spray is. So you force part of the plant to become male. The pollen produced by the male parts is actually carrying only the female (XX) chromosomes, because that is the genetics of the plant - there are no XY to pass.

The result is seeds that only have XX chromosomes, but the rest of the DNA is not changed.

If you have a bad mom to start with - you will get bad results from the progeny. But that is true of Regs too.

Sounds like you had some bad luck. Sorry dude. I don't think it was the silver that did it to you tho.

Ponky

Ponky

I mean I've been trying online seed sellers. And I've tried a handful from the government website. They're decent smoke. But seeds and budrot issues everytime. I have no trouble with clones. They're always consistent. Seed free. No fungus. I'll try more sources for femenzied seeds tho. Until I find a solid hook up.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Yeah I've been trying to buy good femenized seeds forever. Who has good ones that don't have seeds and don't get fungus? These government ones are fungus resistant but full of little seeds.
You can make your own out of some solid Regs - grab a cut off a great mom and spray it. That's the best way to find out for yourself if the process is what causes the issues, or base genetics bad to begin with.

If you just want to buy and try, my recommendation is getting some well established lines - for example White Widow from Green House Seeds. The line is so stable now after decades that you get solid genetics guaranteed. If you buy some current crazy cross that has only been around a couple years, that's where genetic flaws can come back to bite you.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Site looks good. I'm gunna dig in and see what they got.
I may have misled you a bit - I do not mean to say everything on the menu at Greenhouse is good, I really just meant to say that OG weed that is decades old (White Widow, Northern Lights, Diesel, OG Kush or some IBL lines like original Durban Poison) have a better chance of not being shit.

But just like everyone else, when I look at the Greenhouse website - they are doing the same marketing things and crossing crap left and right and pumping it out to the public with a fru fru name. When it comes to that stuff - you get what you get and expect several phenos in a pack of seeds.

EDIT: this is what I meant - greenhouse as a breeder not a seed store

Buzzzz

Buzzzz

You're on the money with some of your post. My only prob with fem seeds is someone else selfed it and it limits the diversity and you can't get a male if you like it. Bud thickness and rot go hand in hand because airflow is blocked but a femmed is no more prone to it than a reg.

Top Bottom