Has anybody used the optic 650s?

• Thread starter Nonsmoker.grower
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Bbonez

Bbonez

@Bbonez I didn't see what size tent you have or what you are doing in it? Is this single tent from germ to flower? What other systems are in place for heat etc?

I have a 10x10 I'm using for veg and flower. Using clones for now but want to get into some seeds later. For heat, I just heat up the room the tent it in. To cool down I have AC, for Humidity I have a dehu and a humidifier.

20210103 193112

20210103 193119

20210103 193125

20210103 193513

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Very nice!

I wish I had specific comparison info I could share with you to help decide. As you can see from the above thread there is no consistency and little honesty with vendors and measurement claims.

I have tried quite a few lighting systems. More than 20. I have always found that raw PPFD or PAR numbers, if they can be believed, are the first second and third thing you should look at when deciding. Where it gets tricky is what you are really looking for is PPFD/$ Both at time of initial purchase as well as ongoing electricity costs.

Between diablo and optic seems diablo is the winner. Between diablo and multiple spider farmers? Not sure on that one.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Are you using that light for flower, veg, or both? How do you like the results so far?
Only been up maybe a week. Will be full cycle light. My previous was the HLG 600 v1 3000k. Also used full cycle. I'll have a better idea after next grow. But I have 0 doubt it will make a bit of an improvement. The light spread is way way better.

Bbonez

Bbonez

Only been up maybe a week. Will be full cycle light. My previous was the HLG 600 v1 3000k. Also used full cycle. I'll have a better idea after next grow. But I have 0 doubt it will make a bit of an improvement. The light spread is way way better.

What will you adjust the intensity of the light to each step of the way?

How was your yield with the HLG 600?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

What will you adjust the intensity of the light to each step of the way?

How was your yield with the HLG 600?
Well I haven't really grown for yield since my 4x4. Last year was pretty much mother hunting. In the 4x4 was over 2lbs consistently.

With the new light on my next grow I am anticipating around 3lb from a 4x5 - 4x6 area. There are a lot of factors involved though not just light

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I know I have a lot to learn before I see yields like that, I just didn't want to be limited by the light.

Did you run the 600 @ 100% during veg? 18 hours?
I run co2 so mine may be a bit higher but its not just the wattage it's the height also. The best way is to go by par. I use lux as it gets me more than close enough.

Seedling/rooted clones 10k or under.

Veg 18/6 15k-45k start low and work up 3-5k every few days to a week. Plants usually grow into the intensity increase and not often adjustments need to be made.

Flower 40-65k but I have had some strains take as high as 85k in flower. Remember I'm running co2.

I use light meter by my mobile tools dev.

Nonsmoker.grower

Nonsmoker.grower

@Aqua Man how are running c02. Burner, tank,bag? Are you in a sealed room or tent?

JMcG

JMcG

Damn, I was hoping you went with the 650s! I’d love to hear testimonials on that one.
it really doesn’t seem like a fair comparison to the Diablo though. The adjustable spectrum kinda puts it into a different class IMO.
anyone else running these?
Also, do they NOT have a UL or ETL listing?

Buddernugz

Buddernugz

I’m rockin the 650s I have a grow along that I update almost every day if u wana see what it can do

Subhuman

Subhuman

I don’t have the 650s but did try the standard H. To me plants take off great and grow fast because of the added blue. But leaves were huge and hard to get out of way of new growth. Didn’t stretch much. In flower they stayed shorter and not as big of buds or as much branching probably due to not much red in light. And to much blue in flower. But are frosty at end. I did a side by side with another cheap bar light that has same count of 301h diodes no blue but triple the red count and way bigger buds and plant in general. That’s now my go to light in flower. The slim h is great for veg. And at very end of flower. The new S ones I’m sure would do great since you can adjust the red and blue. One thing I don’t like is the ones just coming out now the blue is tied to the 3500k and the reds to the 3k so no way to only adjust red or blue independently.
So you would be loosing half your light power if only running 3k with the reds. If you want more power you have to turn on the 35k with blues. What I like about the cheap lights I have is also the size. 54in instead of 41. so fits in 5x5 well and with my pure uv last few weeks I get what I’m after. Customer support was on the money. I had 2 issues and they handled it verry quickly. Just wanted to say that since I hear a lot of bad. Had a driver problem and they sent me a brand new light! And the lights run cool enough for hydro. Hope this helps some.

Buddernugz

Buddernugz

I got the 650s with the new v2 red chips…… 8 week 3 day veg from seed coco dtw…..she out grew a 5x5 tent….. I hade to stuff her inside of a 4x8 becuase smell was becoming an issue but she’s still chugging along….. that added royal blue in veg is down right disrespectful as far as speed of growth……will say this though….50 more watts of red would be a game changer for that light……

JMcG

JMcG

So...
I have been running two of the 650s for a few runs now. Seems like a great purchase so far except...
I had the power go off twice now during the lights ‘off ‘ cycle. When it came back on the lights came on too, even though the master controller had the timer set to be off.
customer service says I need to have back up power to the whole grow to avoid this. This doesn’t seem right. Anyone else seeing this?

Goblinkiller

Goblinkiller

So...
I have been running two of the 650s for a few runs now. Seems like a great purchase so far except...
I had the power go off twice now during the lights ‘off ‘ cycle. When it came back on the lights came on too, even though the master controller had the timer set to be off.
customer service says I need to have back up power to the whole grow to avoid this. This doesn’t seem right. Anyone else seeing this?

Thats strange. It was new to me that it was expected with backup power. Not everyone can have aggregators running as well.

If you dont live in a place with a lot of power shortage it sounds strange.

Top Bottom