Has anyone ever had an inline fan fail?

• Thread starter reloader
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
reloader

reloader

I'm just curious, because it would be devastating, as I rely on (2) 8" fans to cool (4) lights (2) 1000's and (2) 600's. All works good, about 2 months ago I had a speed controller fail, but I caught it early. I use Hydrofarm fans, but I'm thinking about buying 2 new Vortex, just so I don't have to worry.
What if you weren't right there and a fan failed and lights in hoods had no air and go hotter. I don't know what would happen. I worry about that.
I would also like to install some kind of alarm, so if this happened it could alert me or wake me up or whatever.

Tank333

Tank333

You can get an emergency high-temp shut-off that plugs into your lighting controller's trigger cord. This will kill your lights if the temps get above its set-point, which is usually like 115 or something.

reloader

reloader

You can get an emergency high-temp shut-off that plugs into your lighting controller's trigger cord. This will kill your lights if the temps get above its set-point, which is usually like 115 or something.
mm, I was looking at something like this, just don't know how loud the alarm is. It is for cooking, but it looks like it would work if you set the alarm to go off if temps reached 90F or something. If fans stopped heat in room would rise quickly. Since it has a long probe you could keep the unit out of grow room or tent.

Last edited:
Theoneandonly Z

Theoneandonly Z

mm, I was looking at something like this, just don't know how loud the alarm is.
there is no alarm in the ones ive used. just shuts off your equipment.

there are also controllers that dim your lights instead of complete shut off when high temps are reached.

Inline fans do fail like any other piece of equipment. I would make sure your using a reputable company for choice of fans. most have 5 year warranties. Make sure you have even airflow and flow is not restricted. if so, it will make your fan work harder and increase the chance of failure.:cigar:

Tank333

Tank333

Haha! My phone won't bring up the picture clearly, but that looks like what I use for baking. Lol. Set the temp, stick it in the loaf while it's baking and it dings when the center is fully cooked at 200 degrees. It isn't THAT loud. Just a loud kitchen timer. I wouldn't be able to hear it going off in my basement. But then I WOULD hear my fans not running, since they vibrate my dining room floor... lol

reloader

reloader

Haha! My phone won't bring up the picture clearly, but that looks like what I use for baking. Lol. Set the temp, stick it in the loaf while it's baking and it dings when the center is fully cooked at 200 degrees. It isn't THAT loud. Just a loud kitchen timer. I wouldn't be able to hear it going off in my basement. But then I WOULD hear my fans not running, since they vibrate my dining room floor... lol
Actually now looking at this.

J

Jalisco Kid

You can use t-stats as I do to start kicking of lights if it gets to hot. Stupid to kick them all off at once. You can use the same relay to trigger a fog horn if you want. I have returned 3 so far for bad bearing. JK

mastacheeser

mastacheeser

I've had probs with the hydrofarm fans over the last year or so. Two different fans went out on me. I noticed immediately and they were replaced for free but still shitty

wonka

wonka

I had my hydrofarm 6in fan run for 3 yrs straight without a prob before I replaced it.. was also on a dimmer n not running wide open all the time

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
those green fans (active air) hydrofarm generic are crappy, hence the price point! They don't move the amount of air stated as other Manufacturer's fans do, i.e. Elicient, Vortex, Can...
They are cheap and you get what you pay for typically...sure they can last for years no prob but the odds aren't in your favor with the shitties fans available, imo

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
That said, I have a 6" ducting a 4'x4' tent that is used for cloning...but I wouldn't air cool lights with it, I'd stick with a can max or something else personally.

reloader

reloader

those green fans (active air) hydrofarm generic are crappy, hence the price point! They don't move the amount of air stated as other Manufacturer's fans do, i.e. Elicient, Vortex, Can...
They are cheap and you get what you pay for typically...sure they can last for years no prob but the odds aren't in your favor with the shitties fans available, imo
Huh, I thought the Hydrofarm fans were decent. (although I know they are made in China) I have 4 (veg & flower) & have never had one fail, after 3 years. I went ahead and found an alarm that will be settable with a high/ low temp point, with high decibel siren & 15 foot probe. I am going to set the high/low mark of 8x8 tent for 28C for lights on and 17C lights out.
Also it is not just the fans, if a speed controller fails, the fan stops. I have had this happen, fused burned out.
However when I buy new fans I am going with Vortex.

Last edited:
rick ratlin

rick ratlin

Perpetual Farmer
Supporter
I like to keep the probe to the high temp shutoff in the air-cooled ducting, as it will take a few minutes to get to sketchy temps outside the duct.

Also, the cheap speed controllers (the standard $30 brand we all see around) can tax an inline fan big time especially if you're running it less than 50% speed.

With that being said, I also like to have an inline carbon filter set up to a high heat thermostat, so when it gets too hot, it kicks on bringing fresh air in to keep the environment survivable. The temp it's set at is the same as the high temp shut off. That way you don't have to shut down all the lights. That has saved my ass more than once. It's only 2k of lights though.

B

Buzzbait

Speedster fan controls are famous for not turning your fans on.The closest Ive came to a fire and 125 degree temps.Spend a little more cash,fire aint no joke in the southern U.S..You will be safe with vortex fans and you will have less noise also....

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
EVERY GROW SHOULD HAVE A HIGH TEMP SHUT OFF. PERIOD.
I knew someone who learned this the hard way...their 110V power went out, so all fans were down but the 240V lighting kept humming....no fire danger as they were lucky but fried a crop and damaged the top nugs...

reloader

reloader

EVERY GROW SHOULD HAVE A HIGH TEMP SHUT OFF. PERIOD.
Just purchased this for my lighting controller, it hooks to your lighting controller with a standard 110v ballast cord.

Cap1

reloader

reloader

Here is how it hooked to my lighting controller. This save a lot of worry. I should have had one when I first powered up box, but I got it now.
Pbvc

Top Bottom