Has anyone seen stunted calyxes like this before?

• Thread starter Progshim
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Progshim

Progshim

Hi everyone.

In this pic, on the far side of the stalk, you can see what I think is a stunted calyx. If you zoom in you can see it is split at the end like a calyx, but this one doesn't have the hairs. Some of the others seems to have tiny hairs but none of them are longer than 1/8 inch. This plant is 8 weeks old and it has these on most of the older nodes, but this is the first good picture I've been able to get. My other plants started out with similar growths and turned out to be female. They are why I don't think this one is male.
. Or is it male? I'm still very new to this. Either way, I'll know soon, I flipped it yesterday.
Stunted calyxes

Mothman

Mothman

I don’t know if this is what you have, but it looks a bit like very early nanners. Still small so watch it, or if you’re suspicious, just scrape it off. Here’s what my nanner plant looked like when I discovered mine. It ended up getting seedy outdoors before I finally did a too-early harvest. But I moved it out soon enough that the other plants in the tent were unaffected.
F769D8C7 AD16 46EC 8D1D 83A7C16BA9C1

Progshim

Progshim

Yep. My regular female went hermaphrodite. I saved the seeds since someone on here suggested they would be feminized seeds. Maybe I’ll try em someday.
I've read that that's how they get feminized seeds, by stressing a female plant until it produces seeds. I don't know the source of that information, so I wouldn't bet my life on it, but it sounds right.

My plant is on day 4 of flowering, and no changes yet. It doesn't look like bananas, it looks like really tiny calyxes. I'll know soon I'm guessing

CrazyColas

CrazyColas

Nah. I saved seeds from my 2021 herm (which smoked just fine), and had a straight up male in the mix this year. Along with 3-4 females now harvested and drying

Progshim

Progshim

Well, if anyone is interested, those "stunted calyxes" turned out to be male pre-flowers. I've only been growing for a couple of years, but I gotta tell you, I'm thinking I might only grow feminized seeds from now on. I've been wrong about the sex twice, where I didn't figure it out until 2 weeks into flowering. I don't know how long it takes for male flowers to be fertile enough to pollinate females, but it scared me both times.

Thanks again everyone

Top Bottom