Having a smell of sulfur, Help!!

• Thread starter bbanner1016
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

bbanner1016

Can someone help me understand what might be going on. Have a black widow that looks healthy no dead leaves, a little bit of nute burn just the very tip. It does drop a little, but is relatively perky when light is on 18-6. I’ve started noticing a bad smell of sulfur, can it have root rot? If so, why is there no dead leaves and growing good? Do some just tend to smell this way? I don’t over water in my opinion, any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Having a smell of sulfur help

Last edited:
oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

Can someone help me understand what might be going on. Have a black widow that looks healthy no dead leaves, a little bit of nute burn just the very tip. It does drop a little, but is relatively perky when light is on 18-6. I’ve started noticing a bad smell of sulfur, can it have root rot? If so, why is there no dead leaves and growing good? Do some just tend to smell this way? I don’t over water in my opinion, any insight would be greatly appreciated.View attachment 1222256
lift the pot and smell the bottom ,you might be smelling anerobic soil

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

Thanks Ok I’ll give it a try, is there a fix?
you need to be more careful with your feeding,add some yucca into your feed and it will help with the absorbtion,you can carefully push in the sides of those pots and it will open the soil a little to get more air

B

bbanner1016

you need to be more careful with your feeding,add some yucca into your feed and it will help with the absorbtion,you can carefully push in the sides of those pots and it will open the soil a little to get more air
I haven’t given it any feed, it’s happy frog soil. I add a good bit of perlite to the soil. Maybe I had over watered once and have some sort of build up? Should I be concerned? It seems to be growing good, sorry still new at this. I noticed growing in air pots the root system is compact, could it suffocate itself?

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

I haven’t given it any feed, it’s happy frog soil. I add a good bit of perlite to the soil. Maybe I had over watered once and have some sort of build up? Should I be concerned? It seems to be growing good, sorry still new at this. I noticed growing in air pots the root system is compact, could it suffocate itself?
honestly the plants look great in my opinion,but you claim you have a weird smell,it more likely is from over watering,with the extra perlite you shouldnt have,but that smell kinda like a funky old rotten egg,is compaction in soil more times than not, at what ppm and ph are you feeding

B

bbanner1016

honestly the plants look great in my opinion,but you claim you have a weird smell,it more likely is from over watering,with the extra perlite you shouldnt have,but that smell kinda like a funky old rotten egg,is compaction in soil more times than not, at what ppm and ph are you feeding
Ph 6.5-7

Homesteader

Homesteader

Does your water smell like sulfur? Maybe it becomes concentrated in the soil? I know the smell from drinking water comes from hydrogen sulfide but plants can only take up sulfate.....Just a guess but seems a bit odd if its strong....Are you sure its coming from the plants or soil? Something is definitely anaerobic if it isn't your water but the plants don't seem to mind. They look really healthy.

Last edited:
Silk689

Silk689

Whats the EC level going in? And whats the runoff EC? As iam seeing a few leaf tips with the “claw tip” (nitrogen toxicity).. Keep your ph at 6.5 and try to be constant with that number unless your runoff shows a different result.

whats the RH? And temp?

Last edited:
Homesteader

Homesteader

Just read this article on how small amounts of hydrogen sulfide (which is normally toxic) enhances plant growth massively in small amounts. Interesting and not sure its relevant to your situation or any beginner grower but I decided to post anyways. The more you know....you know?

B

bbanner1016

Thanks for everyone’s advice. I believe it’s coming from the middle plant or soil. The one on the left is skywalker and smells good. At times there is no smell and sometimes fairly strong. Just trying to stay ahead of any problems.

B

bbanner1016

Whats the EC level going in? And whats the runoff EC? As iam seeing a few leaf tips with the “claw tip” (nitrogen toxicity).. Keep your ph at 6.5 and try to be constant with that number unless your runoff shows a different result.

whats the RH? And temp?
I noticed it as well, this soil is high in nitrogen. I don’t use any thing but water until flower than I use tiger bloom.

Silk689

Silk689

Youll be taking many stabs in the dark untill you know exactly what the EC runoff is!!! Even if you just water like you said, you still need to measure that EC just to see if theres any sort of salt build up. ( even your plain water might have nasty chemicals thats being transfered to your soil. Gotta test everything!)

Last edited:
B

bbanner1016

Youll be taking many stabs in the dark untill you know exactly what the EC runoff is!!! Even if you just water like you said, you still need to measure that EC just to see if theres any sort of salt build up. ( even your plain water might have nasty chemicals thats being transfered to your soil. Gotta test everything!)
I don’t have anything to check it, but will get something.

CannaDana

CannaDana

A temporary fix perhaps, but if you've overwatered and/or have soil compaction, you might invest in a submersible air pump and aerate the water for several hours before you water the plants. That will keep some level of oxygen. Also watch your water temperatures. Warm water holds less oxygen. Cold water can cause root shock and lead to permanent damage.

Disclaimer: There are experts here. I ain't one of 'em. I'm just an old lady who has enjoyed her cannabis since the 1960s.

Silk689

Silk689

A temporary fix perhaps, but if you've overwatered and/or have soil compaction, you might invest in a submersible air pump and aerate the water for several hours before you water the plants. That will keep some level of oxygen. Also watch your water temperatures. Warm water holds less oxygen. Cold water can cause root shock and lead to permanent damage.

Disclaimer: There are experts here. I ain't one of 'em. I'm just an old lady who has enjoyed her cannabis since the 1960s.
I love the “disclaimer” 😂😂👌🏽👌🏽

Top Bottom