Hay smell when drying - Any actual solutions?

• Thread starter Kushizle
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Moshmen

Moshmen

WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT? Smh, why wouldn't you smell when the plant is dumping Chlorophyll out? It's perfectly natural and fine. It goes away on around Day 8-12 dry. I always go 3 days more of dry past the last day I smelt Chlorophyll. If I smelt Chlorophyll on Day 11 and Day 12 the smell went away then I would dry 3 more days at 60°F and 65% RH. This is to ensure all the Chlorophyll is dumped out and gone.
I’m a picture junkie I need to see some of your work? I’m down with about half of what ya say - if your a master put up a thread and share

freezeland2

freezeland2

I’m a picture junkie I need to see some of your work? I’m down with about half of what ya say - if your a master put up a thread and share
I still want to know which cannabis cups and with what strains did this self proclaimed Master Grower win. They haven’t answered the first time I asked, and doubt they will respond to this second. Me says bullshit….

cannafarmer420

cannafarmer420

I ♥ Indica
Supporter
The hay smell is a normal part of plants drying and is usually the result of chlorophyll. During the drying process, chlorophyll is broken down by enzymes and bacterial action and goes away after a while. Once things dry up a bit and age for a few weeks, the hay smell goes away and the more complex tastes and smells develop. Drying too quicklky preserves a lot of chlorophyll... like drying a fresh bud in an oven. It tastes terrible but still does the job. Drying and aging gets rid of the nasty hay flavor.
Once I put my freshly dried buds in a mason jar and let it sir for a few weeks, things change for the better. Patience is key.
I agree

clusterfucktuesday

clusterfucktuesday

When you first hang it, it will smell great and the terps will be strong, then the grassy hay smell comes - usually around day 3/4, especially in your environment, which is pretty close to perfect. The smell will come back completey, just make sure you keep it hanging until that happens. I don’t trim and bag until anywhere from day 12 to day 25. If you bag or jar while it still smells like hay, you‘ll be stuck with it.

I bag and store using Grove bags, but only after that dry/cure period in the tent. I have a few pounds in that stage now - day 4. I’ve focused exclusively on this for over a year and I finally have a process that can be duplicated over and over. I can open a bag with flower harvested in January and it will make your eyes water with zero grass or hay smell. 0

JKash

JKash

Can you out GRAV The Gravmaster???
Supporter
I ran out of room for drying... at chop I have great smelling buds... a few "hay days" and then right back to nice smelling buds...

I don't dry in direct light as I have no other options where I can dry... but I dry as a whole for 10 to 20 days and then jar....

If you get hay smell in jars... pull out buds and lay on screen for overnight... in a.m. re jar and should be good...

20231026 175128
20231026 175118
Top Bottom