Hay smell when drying - Any actual solutions?

• Thread starter Kushizle
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Fuzzydankster

Fuzzydankster

One thing you can also do before harvest to help dry is starve your plants of water last few days. Be sure to have proper air flow but no direct fan on the drying flowers. I dry with whole plant and dont get wet hay smell. However in my jars, while curing, if i dont burp properly, i can smell a "hay smell". Also dark periods of 24-48 hours before harvest help break down chlorophyll.

Dont run humidity above 60% thats not good on the flower and probably contributes alot to your "hay smell"

Proper Drying and curing are the most crucial steps.

MerryJane22

MerryJane22

This is/was my first grow and I'm searching around about the same issue. I'm curing 4 separate harvests right now and the ones I harvested first have been in jars now a month (autos) and the smell and taste has definitely been improving. Not the normal smell I'm used to though,lol.

I think I dried them too quickly? humidity & temps were in the right range but I think the circular fan being in the room just dried them too quickly? they were dry in like 6 days (stems snapping dry).

I think next time I'll try a few of the tips you got. No water for several days prior to taking down, take plants down at night next time and leave them in darkness for a few days. I'm also going to leave everything on but fan leaves and dry trim instead. This time I trimmed off all the sugar leaves etc and just left buds on stems. Leaving the leaves on I'm told allows the plant to dry more slowly & evenly?

In any case.....despite the lack of intense aroma, the THC seems to have been left intact. So there IS that. Good luck!

Fuzzydankster

Fuzzydankster

Yea i like to have some air flow but a fan can cause too much. I like a 10-14 day dry. And i do dry trimming. When i cut plants i remove any fan leafs but leave all sugar leaves. And even if first couple days you do smell the "hay smell" its ok. Alot of hormones are being released still. Smells like "fresh cut grass smell" or "hay smell" are just natural proccess still accuring. But shouldnt last but for first 2 maybe 3 days of the drying. Just do couple air exchanges each day at the beggining.

RippedTorn

RippedTorn

Also dark periods of 24-48 hours before harvest help break down chlorophyll.

Chlorophyll is a pigment. If your plants are green they've still got the pigment.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_leaf_volatiles
It's pretty self explanatory how to keep fatty acid derivatives in the human-attracting spectrum and out of the predator-attracting spectrum: Don't let an actively growing plant know its been injured. If you bud ever smells like hay it's not turning out nearly as good as it could if you prevented that waste of metabolic energy.

BurnzYzBudZz

BurnzYzBudZz

HOWCan.i.helPYOU?
Supporter
Chlorophyll is a pigment. If your plants are green they've still got the pigment.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_leaf_volatiles
It's pretty self explanatory how to keep fatty acid derivatives in the human-attracting spectrum and out of the predator-attracting spectrum: Don't let an actively growing plant know its been injured. If you bud ever smells like hay it's not turning out nearly as good as it could if you prevented that waste of metabolic energy.
Source? Thanks.

mancorn

mancorn

If you’re having too quick of a dry (because your dry area is too hot), you can bag up the buds in paper sacks. This will help retain moisture without fear of mold/mildew. Just “burp” your paper bag and shake up the contents. Not recommending totally wet stuff, but before your small stems crack. You can leave em in the bags for a couple weeks before jarring.

Top Bottom