Hb 15 - 1267 (medical Usage On Probation And Parole)

• Thread starter ubi
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
GrowGod

GrowGod

BANNED!
Supporter
Well it has passed the house and the senate now just waiting to be signed into law!!
cant wait for them to sign it !!!!! and then slap my script on the desk of my probation officer!!!
bam !!!
Hahahaha! I will say this is awsome! Now we as stoners do not have to be worried about fucking up and being put on probation away from the green!:D I don't see how that works though because your suppose to abided by federal law which makes it illegalo_O

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
Hahahaha! I will say this is awsome! Now we as stoners do not have to be worried about fucking up and being put on probation away from the green!:D I don't see how that works though because your suppose to abided by federal law which makes it illegalo_O

And colorado's AG is suppose to uphold Federal law yet there not :P

Im sure the language of the bill addresses any issues pertaining to federal laws in conjuction with cannabis it would simply refer them to state laws.

Good job CO! Im still not moving to yer frozen lands tho :D

germinator

germinator

Wow......now let our brothers out of jail sentences for plant farming, reverse all asset forfeiture bs and there's a great start to a legalization model that all states can follow. A sincere thank you Rocky Mountain crew for blazing the trail.
Keep it up.

Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
HB 1267

Under current law, a person on probation is prohibited from committing another offense. The possession and use of marijuana is an offense under federal law. The bill makes an exception to the probation conditions for the possession and use of medical marijuana pursuant to the state constitution unless the person is convicted of an offense related to medical marijuana.

But it also says under "ARTICLE 43.3 OF TITLE 25 12, C.R.S." which is all about the running of a dispensary and violations related to breaking dispensary rules and being charged.

I'll be at my attorneys on Monday to find out

ubi

ubi

Yeah !!!!! its a beautiful day!
i gotta meet and check to get permission.
Pretty sure i will get it tho.

TK fyi when i was at intake into probation they told me "No working in the industry either!"
to which i replied "what about the alcohol industry?"
proabation officer, " we strongly discourage that!"

Cant wait till someone who still works in the industry is told to quit there job for non drug offence. ridiculous imo.

Last edited:
GrowGod

GrowGod

BANNED!
Supporter
Yeah !!!!! its a beautiful day!
i gotta meet and check to get permission.
Pretty sure i will get it tho.

TK fyi when i was at intake into probation they told me "No working in the industry either!"
to which i replied "what about the alcohol industry?"
proabation officer, " we strongly discourage that!"

Cant wait till someone who still works in the industry is told to quit there job for non drug offence. ridiculous imo.
Yup so stupid, they didn't want anyone in the industry that's been in trouble with the law even on pot charges. That's why they can kiss my ass!there would've no industry without us

MrBelvedere

MrBelvedere

Yup so stupid, they didn't want anyone in the industry that's been in trouble with the law even on pot charges. That's why they can kiss my ass!there would've no industry without us

So true! I want to see a regulation that states "Anybody who wants to be in the cannabis industry has to sit in jail for one day and eat bologna sandwiches and boxed milk. With the lights on 24/7. If the applicant can figure out they can dim the cell lights with white tissue paper then they pass the exam and they're qualified to participate in the industry. The deputy will ask the applicant to *not* dim the lights- if applicant does it anyways, then they're eligible to own a dispensary."

People have no clue the whole industry is paved on the backs of us who took great risks with possession/cultivation/distribution/activism to get us to this point.

Last edited:
LocalGrowGuy

LocalGrowGuy

This is the response I got from my attorney

"The implementation of the new law is unclear. I would contact your PO and ask them the questions about when and under what circumstances you can use MM"
As an offender in Colorado, whether on probation or parole, a condition of every case is to remain law-abiding, employment, etc etc etc. Even if your PO says it's fine, even if your intervention officer says it's fine, if you have a drug test that is hot for marijuana, you are not abiding by federal laws. It doesn't matter the amount, any measurable amount would constitute use, and the use of marijuana whether medical or not is against federal law, so the proof is with the first drug test. I don't think there needs to be any more proof of anything. Your red card is not a prescription, it is a recommendation. That's how they reasoned denying my use from a possession case in 2010.

I guess I think it's pretty difficult to tell someone you are following the law with lab test results showing consumption. I was in the system before the green rush, so my PO was nice enough to let me stop taking drug tests, but that ended very quickly with the cluster that first came to town. I still do not see how you can have a positive blood or urine test for cannabis and not be guilty of federal drug laws. Ignorance is bliss/ (for me)

My sister works with CPS in a neighboring state and they do not consider marijuana use in any case for any reason unless the kids have hot tests, but they don't even lose custody if their kids have drugs in their systems. It is insane and sad at how our society treats those with mental health issues.

Anyway, how about that local sports team...

fucking edit button

Reactions: ubi
Smokey503ski

Smokey503ski

I have a family member who is a PO in Washington.
She was telling me that they no longer test for Marijuana. With the recreation thing going on they don't want to mess with it.
Although, there are some stipulations. Like TK said. If your busted for Marijuana you can't use it while on probation/parole.
Most likely Colorado had the same type of system Washington does.

Reactions: ubi
Smokey503ski

Smokey503ski

As an offender in Colorado, whether on probation or parole, a condition of every case is to remain law-abiding, employment, etc etc etc. Even if your PO says it's fine, even if your intervention officer says it's fine, if you have a drug test that is hot for marijuana, you are not abiding by federal laws. It doesn't matter the amount, any measurable amount would constitute use, and the use of marijuana whether medical or not is against federal law, so the proof is with the first drug test. I don't think there needs to be any more proof of anything. Your red card is not a prescription, it is a recommendation. That's how they reasoned denying my use from a possession case in 2010.

I guess I think it's pretty difficult to tell someone you are following the law with lab test results showing consumption. I was in the system before the green rush, so my PO was nice enough to let me stop taking drug tests, but that ended very quickly with the cluster that first came to town. I still do not see how you can have a positive blood or urine test for cannabis and not be guilty of federal drug laws. Ignorance is bliss/ (for me)

My sister works with CPS in a neighboring state and they do not consider marijuana use in any case for any reason unless the kids have hot tests, but they don't even lose custody if their kids have drugs in their systems. It is insane and sad at how our society treats those with mental health issues.

Anyway, how about that local sports team...

fucking edit button
The one thing you're missing is state is not federal.
Each state has their rules. They cannot enforce federal laws if the state says otherwise.

LocalGrowGuy

LocalGrowGuy

The one thing you're missing is state is not federal.
Each state has their rules. They cannot enforce federal laws if the state says otherwise.
That's actually the precise issue that I am addressing.

I guess I should include a 'as of 5/10/2015' note. I think I am old at 35ish, but I don't think those who are 'in the system' should be allowed to consume cannabis on a medical or recreational basis. I think there would be too many 'what if' arguments from the nay-sayers, and the slippery slopers and everyone else who hates the evil devil weed. I also think that in a situation where guilt is found or a plea agreement reached, that should have an effect and penalize those who would use the medical excuse to use. I don't see how that can be enforced, so I don't see how it would even come to the table.

Respectfully, I disagree, and the issue I am trying to bring to light is the fact that you are not allowed to break the law while on parole or probation. Under no circumstances would you be allowed to consume a substance that is listed as a controlled substance, federal or otherwise, and obviously pot in particular. In Colorado, there is no prescription, so there is no medical protections for patients. The two issues I have seen and heard from marijuana consumers under supervision is that a PO does not have the authority to tell a patient what prescriptions can and can not be taken. That is not an issue because your red card is not a prescription, which would have to be approved by the FDA, and that won't ever happen. The other issue is the one you state, that being under state supervision in Colorado and having a marijuana recommendation should NOT be cause to violate someone's probation or parole. Just to be clear, this is your view, correct? Please let me know if I am getting any details wrong. I think we should keep this as a pot issue, not a prescription narcotic issue because I believe those are two situations handled differently.

Assuming that we are on the same page so far, whenever anyone is approved or ordered probation or parole, is not allowed to break the law. The defendant must remain law-abiding. Here is the question that I am seeking an answer on, or clarification:

Assuming that the consumption of cannabis is illegal at the federal level, a parolee or probationer would not be allowed to consume marijuana on a medical basis, and would be in violation of their probation or parole.

I want to note that I agree with you, that the state cops don't have the authority to enforce federal law. However, if a defendant has a UA that shows positive for marijuana, I do not think the person supervising or the judge cares about enforcing any law that may or may not have been broken. The way I interpret it, is that the state is not trying to enforce anything, no one is bringing additional charges, etc. I come back to the question of compliance. Every month or meeting with a probation or parole officer, defendants or those in the system must attest that they are not knowingly breaking any laws. The simple existence of a dirty UA constitutes, in my opinion, a violation of every parole or probation order that I have seen. We can agree to disagree, but that's my interpretation. I wish it weren't so complex, but I do not see any way around the 'recommendation vs Rx' argument or attesting that you are not breaking any state or federal laws. I believe that a Colorado State Probation Officer can rightfully violate a defendant's parole or probation for a hot UA, regardless of state law. Again, I don't think state enforcement of federal law is in question, the issue lies in the fine print for each county's probation or parole departments. I can only relate my own experience and I have never met anyone who, after 1/1/14, was explicitly given permission to use marijuana.

Although my opinion doesn't jive with many others here, these problems, whether or not they are ignored by the Colorado Consuming Public, are not going away.

Apologies for the novel.

ubi

ubi

I know someone who is allowed. he is on probation for domestic violence. Has a probation officer who told him to get a doctors recomendation for marinol. he did. and now his hot UA's are not a problem. (all second hand info. so who know's. He smokes everyday and isnt in jail yet, for a violation) but he is also not in state probation it is a National Offender Management Systems Company. so i guess as long as he doesnt get caught doing anything else, he's good.

GrowGod

GrowGod

BANNED!
Supporter
I know someone who is allowed. he is on probation for domestic violence. Has a probation officer who told him to get a doctors recomendation for marinol. he did. and now his hot UA's are not a problem. (all second hand info. so who know's. He smokes everyday and isnt in jail yet, for a violation) but he is also not in state probation it is a National Offender Management Systems Company. so i guess as long as he doesnt get caught doing anything else, he's good.
Yup my wife did the same thing! Just have to find a doc willing to write the script. I've heard rumors that they can tell the difference but I know first hand it worked. Couple months later they released her from probation.:) Script was pricey though about $250

ShroomKing

ShroomKing

Best of luck. Peace
Remember people. Possession of marijuana under federal law is not a crime. It's not having the tax stamp that is a crime. And there are no federal laws making consumption of marijuana illegal. But I'm rambling.....

MrBelvedere

MrBelvedere

That's actually the precise issue that I am addressing.

I guess I should include a 'as of 5/10/2015' note. I think I am old at 35ish, but I don't think those who are 'in the system' should be allowed to consume cannabis on a medical or recreational basis. I think there would be too many 'what if' arguments from the nay-sayers, and the slippery slopers and everyone else who hates the evil devil weed. I also think that in a situation where guilt is found or a plea agreement reached, that should have an effect and penalize those who would use the medical excuse to use. I don't see how that can be enforced, so I don't see how it would even come to the table.

Respectfully, I disagree, and the issue I am trying to bring to light is the fact that you are not allowed to break the law while on parole or probation. Under no circumstances would you be allowed to consume a substance that is listed as a controlled substance, federal or otherwise, and obviously pot in particular. In Colorado, there is no prescription, so there is no medical protections for patients. The two issues I have seen and heard from marijuana consumers under supervision is that a PO does not have the authority to tell a patient what prescriptions can and can not be taken. That is not an issue because your red card is not a prescription, which would have to be approved by the FDA, and that won't ever happen. The other issue is the one you state, that being under state supervision in Colorado and having a marijuana recommendation should NOT be cause to violate someone's probation or parole. Just to be clear, this is your view, correct? Please let me know if I am getting any details wrong. I think we should keep this as a pot issue, not a prescription narcotic issue because I believe those are two situations handled differently.

Assuming that we are on the same page so far, whenever anyone is approved or ordered probation or parole, is not allowed to break the law. The defendant must remain law-abiding. Here is the question that I am seeking an answer on, or clarification:

Assuming that the consumption of cannabis is illegal at the federal level, a parolee or probationer would not be allowed to consume marijuana on a medical basis, and would be in violation of their probation or parole.

I want to note that I agree with you, that the state cops don't have the authority to enforce federal law. However, if a defendant has a UA that shows positive for marijuana, I do not think the person supervising or the judge cares about enforcing any law that may or may not have been broken. The way I interpret it, is that the state is not trying to enforce anything, no one is bringing additional charges, etc. I come back to the question of compliance. Every month or meeting with a probation or parole officer, defendants or those in the system must attest that they are not knowingly breaking any laws. The simple existence of a dirty UA constitutes, in my opinion, a violation of every parole or probation order that I have seen. We can agree to disagree, but that's my interpretation. I wish it weren't so complex, but I do not see any way around the 'recommendation vs Rx' argument or attesting that you are not breaking any state or federal laws. I believe that a Colorado State Probation Officer can rightfully violate a defendant's parole or probation for a hot UA, regardless of state law. Again, I don't think state enforcement of federal law is in question, the issue lies in the fine print for each county's probation or parole departments. I can only relate my own experience and I have never met anyone who, after 1/1/14, was explicitly given permission to use marijuana.

Although my opinion doesn't jive with many others here, these problems, whether or not they are ignored by the Colorado Consuming Public, are not going away.

Apologies for the novel.

Oh my God I hope you're trolling, you just said people who are in the system should not be allowed to consume? Royal rotfl

Latest posts

Top Bottom