Heat A/C Temperature Balance in grow room

• Thread starter doBpop
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
D

doBpop

Thanks for any help.

1st grow
ebb and flow - 2-4'x4' trays - 2-60gal res - 6"x6" square containers filled with hydroton
2-1000w hortilux HPS one over each table
6.5' x 11.5' x 8' - 75 sq feet - 600 cubic feet
hi/lo shows 80/60% and 68/40% (temp/RH) since last reset on the 22nd
Dehumidifier
The strains are mostly bubba kush x deep chunk with 2 strawberry diesel and the rest sannies maddona f1 all started from seeds.
(9/6/2010) 32nd day into 12/12 6p-6a - 50 girls around 3.5' tall

12,000 A/C and 1,500 heater

Now that the temps getting colder outside I'm having trouble balancing the heat/A/C to where they are not kicking each other back and forth.

If I get it balanced in the dark (68 deg) when the lights come on they fight back and forth.

Viseversa, if I balance it in the light (75 deg) they fight in the dark.

What's the trick to overall harmony?

TIA

E

EduardoSanchez

well like you said its getting colder outside by you right? well, if neighbors are not a problem why not try using an inline fan to bring in that cool air thus helping eliminate the heat problem and an electric problem as well. Also there are temperature controllers too that allow you to plug in your heater/ac and when the room gets below or above a certain temp the heater kicks on. Hope this helps or sparks some ideas.
I was wondering about ebb and flow as well. I grow in soil, but was looking to try hydro. Are you experiencing any problems with your system? My only fear with hydro is that I would flood my apt and that shiz wouldn't be cool. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks ES

D

doBpop

Ok so we don't want to go over 75 deg or so on top end what would be the acceptable bottom end (low temp) in this scenario that would not jeopardize the grow/yield?

Thanks everyone!

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
as a rule I try to keep the temp swings within 10 degrees

this helps reduce stress and also keeps the humity from spiking real bad when the lighst go out

and anything lower then 60 isnt good unless your at the end trying to get a little color

B

Bobby Smith

Need some more details on where the AC, dehuey, and heater are set for, are they analog or digital, etc.

You could buy a thermostat for either your AC or heater (like this: ) and a humidistat for your dehuey, but you seem to have a fairly decent setup, so I'd recommend just splurging for a Sentinel CHHC-1 (if you can find it, the -4 is the new one which is more expensive).

$500 and you can dial in your temps and humidity like you wouldn't believe - it's the best investment I've ever made in my grow (no, I'm not a paid spokesperson).

Good luck.

EDIT: damn, prices went up - cheapest one I saw online was $580 - might as well spend another $50 and get the CHHC-4.

D

doBpop

Thanks everyone!

Budget's zero.
Just trying to deal with what we have.

Window unit digital on one end - canfan 50 on other 2 tables in between with 40pt dehummer in between the tables. 1,500w Warmwave Ceramic Heater with Thermostat in between tables.

Should we try to keep it up like maybe 70 deg in the dark or leave it like 65-66 or so? Would the benefit be worth the effort?

I'm thinking maybe just put timers on he heat and A/C.

Thanks for the help!

B

Bobby Smith

Is there some reason you can't set the AC and heat to different settings?

Set it to cool at 77F and set it to heat at 72F?

Or am I missing something?

EDIT: With no budget you're somewhat limited in what you can do, unfortunately - yeah, a timer on your heater would work............would need to know all the timers/thermostats available to you.

Shit, depending on where you are I have a couple of thermostats you can have that I don't need.......

D

doBpop

From OP:
If I get it balanced in the dark (68 deg) when the lights come on they fight back and forth.

Viseversa, if I balance it in the light (75 deg) they fight in the dark.
I suppose the differentials are too close together. (or far apart or whatever)

They work fine independently but together not so much.

Thanks for the help!

D

doBpop

Need some more details on where the AC, dehuey, and heater are set for, are they analog or digital, etc.

You could buy a thermostat for either your AC or heater (like this: ) and a humidistat for your dehuey, but you seem to have a fairly decent setup, so I'd recommend just splurging for a Sentinel CHHC-1 (if you can find it, the -4 is the new one which is more expensive).

$500 and you can dial in your temps and humidity like you wouldn't believe - it's the best investment I've ever made in my grow (no, I'm not a paid spokesperson).

Good luck.

EDIT: damn, prices went up - cheapest one I saw online was $580 - might as well spend another $50 and get the CHHC-4.

Got two of the lux win100s on the way finally.
Totally different/new room etc this time around.
Any advice on how to set them for heat and AC Bobby?
How should I set the differentials on each?

As always any help is appreciated and welcomed and thanks in advance!

B

Bobby Smith

It's gonna take some experimenting based on where they're setup in your room and how close they read in terms of ambient temps, but it's pretty straightforward...........set it to heat at 72-75F, and set it to cool from 79-77F (or something like that).

Leave yourself a 2 or 3 degree deadband to make sure they're both not running at the same time and you're golden.

D

doBpop

Thanks to everyone for the interest and help.

Thanks Bobby!

Will this eliminate the need to babysit it when there is much fluctuation in the outside temperatures? (I hope)

For example right now I'm using heat only but for example I get it set for today to 76F with it 50F outside and don't have any problem until later. When the outside temp drops to like 20F tonight the room will drop to like 68F or below if I don't babysit it and continually turn the thermostat up gradually just a bit at a time until it levels out. Then I have the same problem tomorrow morning in reverse as it warms up. If I leave it where it was at 20F outside last night it will be like 82F or more at 50F outside temp if I don't gradually turn it down.

M

Mr. Greenthum

I have 2 ebb and flow 3x3 tables
one 1000w hps over each table
25 gal reservoir
with 4 plants in each table
no heat problembs
i think u could prolly use one light instead of two lights on a table

D

doBpop

Thanks Mr. Greenthum - we have one light per table.
This post is from first grow - on second now. (4 lights/tables)

Bobby, (and everyone) WOW! I haven't touched the heat since I set the win100 up but it has not been much of a temp swing so far. 40s today down to 23 tonight so this should tell the tale LOL!

Thanks a bunch for suggesting them! Now I don't know how I got along without them LOL!

Will post more later!

P

paulycali

Every farmer should have one

There freakin awesome

Heres some info on the controller:

The TMP-DNe allows you to control the temperature within your growing environment. You can set the day and night temperaute independently. The TMP-DNe can be set to either heat or cool. Just connect your equipment, then set the temperature that you wish to maintain. If the temperature varies from your setting, the outlet on the front is activated. The temperature differential can be set at 3, 5 or 7 degrees. Comes with a 12'' remote sensor. The TMP-DNe is rated for 15 amps @ 120 volts.

TMP DNe 125
D

doBpop

Everything is awesome so far!

I haven't touched it since I set it and it's stayed within 1 degree of set point!

I wish I would have had them on the last grow! Would have made my life a lot easier LOL!

Thanks paulycali - the win100 is about half the price of the TMP-DNe.
I will certainly remember them though when time comes to upgrade.

B

Bobby Smith

Every farmer should have one

There freakin awesome

Heres some info on the controller:

The TMP-DNe allows you to control the temperature within your growing environment. You can set the day and night temperaute independently. The TMP-DNe can be set to either heat or cool. Just connect your equipment, then set the temperature that you wish to maintain. If the temperature varies from your setting, the outlet on the front is activated. The temperature differential can be set at 3, 5 or 7 degrees. Comes with a 12'' remote sensor. The TMP-DNe is rated for 15 amps @ 120 volts.

I have one of these that I just busted out an hour ago to test - it's off by ten degrees, and it's analog so you'd have to manually see just how off it is.

The Lux is digital, half the price, and can be programmed...............no brainer, IMO.

You can also order the Lux online without fear of that sale raising a red flag.

D

doBpop

Hey Bobby.

This is probably a moot question but the win100 will come back in the "on" state if there is a power interruption right?
I know the batteries will hold the settings, etc.
The reason I ask is I had a couple digital timers that I could set different programs on but they came back in the "off" state and had to be manually reset to on. Yeah I know - cause I wondered WTF good is that myself LOL!

I don't see any mention of it in the instructions anywhere.

The only possible drawback that I can see to the win100 would be that the sensor is wherever it is plugged in at. (possibly extend it with spliced wires?)

Also, now that I think about it you can set up to 4 different settings/programs per day if you need to with the win100s.
That alone would probably shutout the TMP-DNe controller LOL!

Latest posts

Top Bottom