Heat For Bho Purging

• Thread starter Stickysocks
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

Stickysocks

Okay so im kinda new to this I guess. Just having trouble getting a nice shatter consistency, always come out crumble, which isn't really a problem I guess. Just want some shatter. I've tried dropping temps, but it just doesn't seem to be purging very well because of how hard it is. What should I do? Maybe a better vacuum?

Two.Bears

Two.Bears

What strain are you using?
what temp are you using?
weed with more terpenes will cause a soupy concentrate.

Okay so im kinda new to this I guess. Just having trouble getting a nice shatter consistency, always come out crumble, which isn't really a problem I guess. Just want some shatter. I've tried dropping temps, but it just doesn't seem to be purging very well because of how hard it is. What should I do? Maybe a better vacuum?

S

Stickysocks

What strain are you using?
what temp are you using?
weed with more terpenes will cause a soupy concentrate.
Well its been with a Few different strains, every just come out pretty much the same, I usually hover around 120, I try to go lower, but it just doesn't look to be bubbling up very much. Is it just still purging out even though I can't see it or what should I do.

S

Stickysocks

It's always pretty much like this. Not bad, I just want that nice see through shatter.

Two.Bears

Two.Bears

not bad at all.

when I purged my concentrates extracted with 99% ISO. I used 120 or there abouts.

too much heat turns the concentrates dark and destroys terpenes.

It's always pretty much like this. Not bad, I just want that nice see through shatter.

S

Stickysocks

So this is forsure something to do with my heat and nothing with my vac? And thanks! I'll let you know how the next batch comes out!

mandalaman

mandalaman

Yes with Demon, lower temp around 110 is perfect. Also freezing your column and solvent will almost always make shatter when purged at 110. That's how you make it very clear.

Yep. I keep the solvent tank on dry ice. Pack the plant material in a 3x18 and put on dry ice for a couple hours before pouring. And I also run a jacketed 3x18 with coffee filters after the plant material column. Vac oven right around 110. Muffin top overnight then smooths out. Do a couple more days with a bunch of flips.

Graywolf

Graywolf

Yep. I keep the solvent tank on dry ice. Pack the plant material in a 3x18 and put on dry ice for a couple hours before pouring. And I also run a jacketed 3x18 with coffee filters after the plant material column. Vac oven right around 110. Muffin top overnight then smooths out. Do a couple more days with a bunch of flips.

We've found the right temperature to be in there somewhere, and varies by strain, but it is the exact temperature that the puddle fully melts, allowing the bubbles to break the surface tension and escape. Typically around 110 to 115F with the strains we've extracted. I go to 120 when purging ethanol, because it retains high surface tension even melted, and blows huge bubbles that resist bursting.

Two.Bears

Two.Bears

could not agree more

We've found the right temperature to be in there somewhere, and varies by strain, but it is the exact temperature that the puddle fully melts, allowing the bubbles to break the surface tension and escape. Typically around 110 to 115F with the strains we've extracted. I go to 120 when purging ethanol, because it retains high surface tension even melted, and blows huge bubbles that resist bursting.

MirrorZen

MirrorZen

Is this a closed loop? If so I have some suggestions and questions.
I keep the solvent tank on dry ice.
How do you build any pressure to inject solvent if its in dry ice? I honestly don't see that even working. I have to put warm water on my solvent tank to gain pressure to push solvent. Why not have a conductor coil hose in dry ice? This makes much more sense IMO for efficiency and speed.

And I also run a jacketed 3x18 with coffee filters after the plant material column
Coffee filters? Are you just adding these filters on a gasket as your building up the system? Please elaborate.

Muffin top overnight then smooths
What I do is put the oven on and let the oil sit in at that temp over night without vac. The next morning when I get over there it is nice and spread out over the sheet and when I vac it down it doesn't muffin at all so it makes it easy peezy to vac down and walk away.

mandalaman

mandalaman

Is this a closed loop? If so I have some suggestions and questions.

How do you build any pressure to inject solvent if its in dry ice? I honestly don't see that even working. I have to put warm water on my solvent tank to gain pressure to push solvent. Why not have a conductor coil hose in dry ice? This makes much more sense IMO for efficiency and speed.

Coffee filters? Are you just adding these filters on a gasket as your building up the system? Please elaborate.

What I do is put the oven on and let the oil sit in at that temp over night without vac. The next morning when I get over there it is nice and spread out over the sheet and when I vac it down it doesn't muffin at all so it makes it easy peezy to vac down and walk away.
Hi,

The solvent tank goes on dry ice for about 20min. Then there is the plant column which is stored on dry ice before connected. After that is an empty 3x18 which has a sleeve around it which I load with dry ice. Then a vacuum is pulled on the whole system (all the way to the solvent tank) for about 20 min. Then open the liquid valve on solvent tank with valve to collection spool. Once a little drips though I close the valve separating the jacketed column from collection spool. Then activate the g5 recovery unit. I slowly crack the valve until liquid comes down again then close it and turn off recovery unit.

Coffee filters I put in the empty jacketed column with dry ice. I have a couple filter gaskets used in the system but I usually crumple one coffee filter up at the bottom and then have 2-3 more spread throughout the column. The filters are definitely catching something. It almost looks like a hash but isn't. TBH I'm guessing it's some fats/lipids but I'm not sure.

I do pre heat the vacuum oven. I like to purge quickly as possible seems to give better consistency but I haven't tried keeping in oven overnight before applying the vacuum.

Hope that answers your questions.

mandalaman

mandalaman

Just looked up conductor coil hose and that does seem like a good idea. Might look into getting one. I just want the butane cold as possible when hitting material.

MirrorZen

MirrorZen

Just looked up conductor coil hose and that does seem like a good idea. Might look into getting one. I just want the butane cold as possible when hitting material.
Yes that clears up a lot of questions, thank you. Yeah the hose was a game changer for me because I was doing everything manually with dry ice. I keep my coil in a five gal bucket filled about 1/3 of acetone or denatured alcohol with dry ice on it. Obviously your methods work judging by your slab in the earlier pic. Well done sir!

MirrorZen

MirrorZen

Do you have a link to the hose?
Sorry its a condenser coil, must have been really stoned when I wrote that. I buy my equipment from a guy locally who sources it from other places. But my condenser coil looks almost identical to this :

Top Bottom