Heat Stress? I have minimal Trichomes!

• Thread starter Mark1986
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

Mark1986

ue to my growing situation I've had little control over heat - unfortunately my gut tells me this might be my undoing.

Clones from a previous successful grow (donated by a friend)
Indoor grow
Grow is 8-9 weeks 16/8 then 9-9 weeks 12/12
Living Soil with organic supplements (Dr Greenthumbs)
Humdity averaging below 50%
Temperature averaging around 30-33 degrees C (85-91F)
pH 6.5 - 7.5

Everything was going pretty well until a heatwave that pushed the plants up to 43C (110F) intermittently over a two week period - I tried airing the tents out and letting heat out (but between work and family can't always get to it when I want). Looks like heat stress may be causing the flower to go back into new growing instead of swelling. I'm not seeing much trichome production and basically no nice smell (terpenes missing or damaged?)

I do know that high heat can stunt flower growth and even evaporate trichomes - I'm wondering if I should tough it out or trash it and start again.

Sidenote: I also have a second grow in the same area going great - same location, growing medium and fertilisers - and it seems to be travelling fine.

Heat stress i have minimal trichomes
Heat stress i have minimal trichomes 2
Heat stress i have minimal trichomes 3
Heat stress i have minimal trichomes 4
Heat stress i have minimal trichomes 5
Heat stress i have minimal trichomes 6
Gmix

Gmix

Supporter
Lotta yellow
How far away is your light and what watt is it. Do you have it dimmed.

Bud your lucky there still alive 110f wow that really hot above 85f and they struggle and streach

I can see you added to much n from the clawing that and the heat may be the cause of some of your problems.

you must have to water a lot at them temps witch will affect them negatively and maybe the cause of the yellowing so might the light being to close however I guess most of the damage will be the heat/watering often

Do you have in line fan are you venting the tent

It’s kinda a must bud you can’t really skip it if you want to grow properly

If you have I suggest getting a ac unit you can’t grow at them temps and expect much back let alone the turps being burned away

I don’t suggest trashing it they do seem salvageable and alought they won’t taste to there full potential they should still smoke ok

You need to get on top of the heat & cut back on the n.

I still would like to know the stuff about the light and the in-line fan

Last edited:
M

Mark1986

Lotta yellow
How far away is your light and what watt is it. Do you have it dimmed.

Bud your lucky there still alive 110f wow that really hot above 85f and they struggle and streach

I can see you added to much n from the clawing that and the heat may be the cause of some of your problems.

you must have to water a lot at them temps witch will affect them negatively and maybe the cause of the yellowing so might the light being to close however I guess most of the damage will be the heat/watering often

Do you have in line fan are you venting the tent

It’s kinda a must bud you can’t really skip it if you want to grow properly

If you have I suggest getting a ac unit you can’t grow at them temps and expect much back let alone the turps being burned away

I don’t suggest trashing it they do seem salvageable and alought they won’t taste to there full potential they should still smoke ok

You need to get on top of the heat & cut back on the n.

I still would like to know the stuff about the light and the in-line fan
Cheers for the questions:
- I've been using the spiderfarmer LED (SF2000 led grow light) which outputs at 200W at about 30cm away (following specs from the manual) - I've had it dimmed to about 70% power
- Yes I had an inline fan but think I was pulling in hot air from outside during the heatwave instead of the cool air needed
- I agree I need an AC but money is sometimes tight (cost of living crisis here and a decent AC is easily $1000)
- I could have been overwatering, I was using the AC infinity selfwatering bases and feeding small amounts of fertiliser about every 3 days (about 200ml a feed in a 3 gallon); this was advice from the guy at the shop I visit (and may not have been the correct advice)

To add cream to my misery we had a 2 day brown out during the heatwave that melted ice into my storage container and started my next seeds to sprout prematuraly!

Gmix

Gmix

Supporter
Cheers for the questions:
- I've been using the spiderfarmer LED (SF2000 led grow light) which outputs at 200W at about 30cm away (following specs from the manual) - I've had it dimmed to about 70% power
- Yes I had an inline fan but think I was pulling in hot air from outside during the heatwave instead of the cool air needed
- I agree I need an AC but money is sometimes tight (cost of living crisis here and a decent AC is easily $1000)
- I could have been overwatering, I was using the AC infinity selfwatering bases and feeding small amounts of fertiliser about every 3 days (about 200ml a feed in a 3 gallon); this was advice from the guy at the shop I visit (and may not have been the correct advice)

To add cream to my misery we had a 2 day brown out during the heatwave that melted ice into my storage container and started my next seeds to sprout prematuraly!

Sounds like a nightmare
Ok I was asking about the light distance because of the yellowing to near as yours is and they bleach and go yellow

I don’t think it the only reason as said the frequent watering will also do that still I do so burnt tips from the light so it was probably caused by both the light being to close and the frequency of watering.

Manuals can be really deceiving
The lowest I would have a 200w led would be about 20” away

Gmix

Gmix

Supporter
Ah right I had to read that again

I see your problem if you have only one inline fan you was running the in line fan the wrong way around

You have it so it’s pulling the hot humid air out of the tent not as you had it pulling air from outside

You can pull the air from the outside if you have two in line fans however with only one you set it up so it pulls the hot air out

It’s a common mistake so don’t feel whatever 🙂

Set it up the right way and it will bring the temps down maybe even enough to go without a ac unit

Depending if your legal or not you might want to add a filter to lessen the smell as obviously blowing weed out can get smelly

Latest posts

Top Bottom