Heat Stress? Nute Burn?

• Thread starter Odiesel
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Moshmen

Moshmen

That medium doesn’t look like coco to me? It looks like some kind of peat/soil mix with perlite?

And what’s in your tea?

That clawing/dropping/curling can be caused from a few things,

How often are you watering? Feeding?
The ppm Meter is a great idea for sure but may not be the problem

Overall like DW said they look healthy a couple subtle changes an your golden!

Moshmen

Moshmen

i dug around a week or so ago and found my old one from years ago. battery was dead and i forgot about the meter since. Been running ok so far on feedings, but this is my first time using organics and i know it can take a bit longer for them to respond compared to salt based nutes. I think i just went a bit too heavy with the seabird guano and wormcastings the past 2 teas.
I also need to make sure im feeding to runoff. Still learning a lot these past few weeks being the first time in coco.
Yes I would cut back for a couple feeds.

Moshmen

Moshmen

I know most coco users treat their coco before use , did you rinse and charge? Or use straight off the brick ? Did ya add perlite ?

Odiesel

Odiesel

That medium doesn’t look like coco to me? It looks like some kind of peat/soil mix with perlite?

And what’s in your tea?

That clawing/dropping/curling can be caused from a few things,

How often are you watering? Feeding?
The ppm Meter is a great idea for sure but may not be the problem

Overall like DW said they look healthy a couple subtle changes an your golden!
It is mixed with perlite, but its only coco and perlite. There is maybe 5% overall organic compost mixed in, because my initial medium was going to be a coco, compost, wormcastings mix. Poured a very small amount into my rubbermaid with my coco when i was mixing and didnt like it.

The teas are Earth Juice organics with some seabird guano and worm castings occasionally so far.

Waterings have been every 2-3 days i'd say getting fed everytime. sometimes giving straight water if they seem a bit dry while tea's brewing. Have not been watering to run off.

You might be able to get a better overall look of them in my grow journal. not sure how to link it here

Odiesel

Odiesel

I know most coco users treat their coco before use , did you rinse and charge? Or use straight off the brick ? Did ya add perlite ?
I used a like a 20l bag of 70/30 coco perlite mix from local hydro store. They said was ready to use. Then I added a large bag of GrowIt loose coco to that mix. I believe they said both were good to use and didnt require rinsing.

Odiesel

Odiesel

here is current journal so you might be able to get an idea of everything.

Last edited:
Moshmen

Moshmen

I’ll ck it out later today I’ll try and tag a coco grower for you to get some quality coco advice. I think ur watering schedule needs adjusted but I’ll wsit for the coco users to chime in.

Odiesel

Odiesel

I’ll ck it out later today I’ll try and tag a coco grower for you to get some quality coco advice. I think ur watering schedule needs adjusted but I’ll wsit for the coco users to chime in.
thanks man. i know for sure my watering schedule needs fixing. i have been going back and forth with the idea that i am over or underwatering.

Odiesel

Odiesel

i hate to neglect my plants but at the same time im glad this happening bc my whole reasoning behind starting this grow off with autos was to try and learn a bit in coco while getting a harvest out of it and i can veg the clones i have out the autos whole life.

Moshmen

Moshmen

thanks man. i know for sure my watering schedule needs fixing. i have been going back and forth with the idea that i am over or underwatering.
I’m my opinion u need to water more often? Some coco users water 2-3 times a day, at 30 days I would think those autos should be drinking daily? But again I’m not a coco grower but there’s some great ones here on the farm

Odiesel

Odiesel

im sure once a few more farmers start waking up we might be able to get a few more to chime in. I might take a nap for now been up a bit later than usual stressing. Gotta remember its just a plant and i can't fix it immediately.

Moshmen

Moshmen

im sure once a few more farmers start waking up we might be able to get a few more to chime in. I might take a nap for now been up a bit later than usual stressing. Gotta remember its just a plant and i can't fix it immediately.
Ahh she gonna be just fine! I’ve got worse goin! Lol

dire wolf

dire wolf

Hey odiesel, yea im stil thinking , i dont grow coco and most use nutes formulated for that medium , heat stress is certainly part of the puzzle , check that small fan also and make sure your not blowing hot or circulating heat

When in doubt , always esse up on feed

You have also done a lot of training , and i find there must be a recovery time while training heavily , so ease up on the worring let the plant adjust a bit , and get strong again , shes an auto ? Right?

But i guess they are past the recovery time required for training , the bends were done a while ago ?

What strain is it , some , many indica and blueberry leaves have a fatter curled , sometimes deformed leaves which give them a sad looking appearance , just a thought...

Last edited:
dire wolf

dire wolf

Hey odiesel, yea im stil thinking , i dont grow coco and most use nutes formulated for that medium , heat stress is certainly part of the puzzle , check that small fan also and make sure your not blowing hot or circulating heat

You have also done a lot of training , and i find there must be a recovery time while training heavily , so ease up on the worring let the plant adjust a bit , and get strong again , shes an auto ? Right?
I dont do autos , so im not sure of the training limits....
Maybe others more familiar with methods can chime in..

Odiesel

Odiesel

When in doubt , always esse up on feed

But i guess they are past the recovery time required for training , the bends were done a while ago ?

What strain is it , some , many indica and blueberry leaves have a fatter curled , sometimes deformed leaves which give them a sad looking appearance , just a thought...
yeah the training has all be done over several weeks.
The ladies are sour ak and sour diesel autos.
I gave them a flush last night and they are looking happier today

mancorn

mancorn

It's really a misnomer to think that "tea" can't burn you plants. It's all depends in what you put in your tea. AACT at it's simplest is just compost/vermicastings with sugars. Most brewers add fish emulsion (bacteria food), kelp and phosphate rock (fungal growth). But you can add all kinds of other goodies like yucca, fruit, aloe, dry fertilizers like bat/bird guano, crab, fish, bone, neem seed, and alfalfa meals, frass, oyster shell, diatomaceous etc, etc. In the later example, the tea becomes more of a tea/fertilizer.

Sounds like you're using a commercial tea and then adding additional guano fertilizer, so it could be getting fairly hot (especially if you're not diluting the tea). Make sure you're adding up the NPK of everything your adding and is in your commercial blend, so you don't over cook your plants.

Odiesel

Odiesel

It's really a misnomer to think that "tea" can't burn you plants. It's all depends in what you put in your tea. AACT at it's simplest is just compost/vermicastings with sugars. Most brewers add fish emulsion (bacteria food), kelp and phosphate rock (fungal growth). But you can add all kinds of other goodies like yucca, fruit, aloe, dry fertilizers like bat/bird guano, crab, fish, bone, neem seed, and alfalfa meals, frass, oyster shell, diatomaceous etc, etc. In the later example, the tea becomes more of a tea/fertilizer.

Sounds like you're using a commercial tea and then adding additional guano fertilizer, so it could be getting fairly hot (especially if you're not diluting the tea). Make sure you're adding up the NPK of everything your adding and is in your commercial blend, so you don't over cook your plants.
when you water with teas do you adjust the PH of them?

mancorn

mancorn

when you water with teas do you adjust the PH of them?
No, I'm growing in soil and using compost for my tea. If I can I like to use rain water (but I don't get any rain in the summer.) My city water is around 7 (maybe a little more) and I use fish hydrolysate (4 pH) and liquid kelp (8 pH) which probably keeps the whole brew in the 6-7 range. But I've never check the pH after adding all the ingredients or after brewing. This actually gets really complicated since the fungi produce enzymes that lower pH, while bacteria raises pH. Bacteria can't live in low pH, so if you have a ton of fungi it then in turn lowers your bacteria count. (It's harder to make a fungi dominate tea). I say this simply to suggests it's best not to listen to me, 😀 and go with the instructions from your tea manufacturer as your tea might be designed to provide fungi or be bacteria dominate. And your commercial tea might actually be a mycorrhizal blend, which I've seen at grow stores sold as "tea". Mycorrhizal is fungi, but not the same as using compost (which contains very little mycorrhizal).

growsince79

growsince79

hey @dire wolf unfortunately i do not have a cooled hood for the hps just the old fashion wing hood. I do have an inline exhaust fan running and fan for return intake. Do you think that those leaves are looking like heat stress at all? I know knew growth in this early flowering stage can come out very thin. It's just been 5 years since my last grow and I feel like its all so new again.
That light can be 18" and it won't burn the plants as long as they are properly fed and watered.

Top Bottom