Hello All New Farmer Looking For Advice

• Thread starter Callipygous
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Desertdweler

Desertdweler

Please know that I am no longer using soil. But when I started, like everyone else... I started just like you, in soil. So my hat is off to you for giving it a go!

There are lots of people on here that can give you more precise soil advice. Good Luck. And Happy New Year!!!

Callipygous

Callipygous

Hey everyone, sorry I missed all this activity this am. There is water at the bottom of my saucer to battle humidity. It evaporates it’s really dry in my house. I can program the lights to be a lower output, currently for most of the day I run them at 30%red 100% blue and c(light source) is at 100% as well, what would you suggest.
You all think it’s time to take the bags off?
The Rh swings when I open up the tent after the exhaust fan had been on, I know the rh and temp drops when it’s on, I don’t run it constantly because it dries the tent out.if you have any idea how to rectify that situation I’m very open to suggestions as you can see. I live in Michigan, I have steam radiator heat in my house, the temp is usually 77 F and 15% rh in the room the tent is in, not ideal. Do you think that is a lot of my problem. I’m afraid of hurting my plants, I’m sure it can’t be good for the temp/rh swings in the plant tent. Going to post some pictures of them today, and again bagoff or on. I’ve been keeping them on this far.

Callipygous

Callipygous

The first two I took with the method 7 in front of my camera in the tent but I pulled them out for the 2nd set into natural light. I watered them today because the soil was feeling dry, there is water on the leaves from the bags that were over them. I wish I knew how to stabilize this humidity/rh. If you all have any ideas let me know.

05706291 75BC 4E9A 8B61 0168B94C3BC5
CE92EC40 8248 40C0 84E8 F1A9B7E25528
D62A779E 6688 4AE2 9570 2447BDB1A3C0
D100644F 4D78 4ADD 8E65 17FE172ADA5D
Callipygous

Callipygous

I see what looks like paper cups from your locally run coffee house? I would use plastic.

And those cups appear to be sitting in a little puddle of water inside your clear plastic round saucer. I would not leave any water in there.

The Kind LED has the number 100 on a digital display. Does that number correspond to max lights on(percentage)? Can you dim that fixture down?

Humidity: 10 - 99% sitting at 74%..... I would recommend getting this number down, to below 60%. Reset that max/min and give us a new reading for a 24hr time period.

Temp: 66.9F - 97.9F sitting at 87.6F..... If your temps are getting that high(97.9F) for any length of time, that can be detrimental to good growth. 66.9F is ok for lights out period. But lights on you want to keep it below 80 unless you are using CO2. Same here - reset max/min and repost new 24hr reading.

Also as far as watering... you will get the feel for the weight of your cups. But general rule of thumb for soil... stick your finger in the soil... if it is dry 1 inch below surface, it probably needs a little h2o.

Kids look healthy, good job so far.

So to explain myself a little lol, yes those are paper cups because this grower I watch on YouTube uses them his name VaderOG, he likes how they force him to transplant on time because of cup deterioration.
I am not sure how it gets that high temperature wise because whenever I check on them it’s usually 83 ish. I will try to reset my thermometer/hygrometer so I can give you a new reading in24hr like you asked. I think my main reason why I’m not running my extractor 24/7 is because how much it dries out my tent, I think it won’t be as much of a factor when the plants get much bigger and respire more water then the extractor can run 24/7.

Last edited:
Callipygous

Callipygous

These pots are my next space after the cup, I got a 3 gal 7gal and 15gal smart pots, I’m going to try to get some life going in the pots I have red wigglers and good microbial soil brewing I started a month ago before I started the plants. I want some marigolds and clover running as companion plants with my cannabis. This FFOF and HF state they have mycorrhizae in them but I’m curious to how much, I don’t see any mycelium.
Back to the Rh question, do you guys think it’s due to my terrible rh in the room the tent is in?

055CD4A6 616C 45BD 8F29 47BE9E4358A2
Callipygous

Callipygous

Another question, my seedlings aren’t as leggy as others I’ve seen at this age from other growers. My thought is that they aren’t stretching because they don’t need to, if I do turn down my led intensity won’t that increase their stretch?

D

Deal02

Another question, my seedlings aren’t as leggy as others I’ve seen at this age from other growers. My thought is that they aren’t stretching because they don’t need to, if I do turn down my led intensity won’t that increase their stretch?
You don’t want stretch my friend that’s perfect let them come into them selfs natural

SinCity

SinCity

OK, so now you're in it. The tent versus the room versus the 'microclimate' of the plastic bags. I know you're gonna be great because I can see you care.

When I still lived in the city, we often had to deal with steam radiators, cold winters, and sweltering summers. So I get it. ANYBODY JUMP IN HERE--ALL VOICES WELCOME.

Before you deprive yourself of lumens (which I would argue have to take priority over spectrum), are there reasons you can not control the conditions in the larger room? Can you put a humidifier in the room to counteract the dryness? Can you rotate between the fan and the heat to keep a constant temperature in the room? You will need to have a meter for the larger room as well as for the tent. See where I'm going? Regulating the room allows you to better regulate the 'tent'...

Like folks are saying, your babies look fabulous, so--which you see what you can do about the room--just use your senses to take the bags off when needed, back on when needed etc.

Climate first. Then soil. K? LOTS OF PEOPLE HERE CAN HELP TOO

Hey everyone, sorry I missed all this activity this am. There is water at the bottom of my saucer to battle humidity. It evaporates it’s really dry in my house. I can program the lights to be a lower output, currently for most of the day I run them at 30%red 100% blue and c(light source) is at 100% as well, what would you suggest.
You all think it’s time to take the bags off?
The Rh swings when I open up the tent after the exhaust fan had been on, I know the rh and temp drops when it’s on, I don’t run it constantly because it dries the tent out.if you have any idea how to rectify that situation I’m very open to suggestions as you can see. I live in Michigan, I have steam radiator heat in my house, the temp is usually 77 F and 15% rh in the room the tent is in, not ideal. Do you think that is a lot of my problem. I’m afraid of hurting my plants, I’m sure it can’t be good for the temp/rh swings in the plant tent. Going to post some pictures of them today, and again bagoff or on. I’ve been keeping them on this far.

Desertdweler

Desertdweler

Have you considered buying a humidifier?

Don't leave water in that saucer. If you feel you need water in there, use a separate cup or tray, not the one the plants are in.

SinCity

SinCity

AND STRETCH (AKA, LEG) IS THE OPPOSITE OF WHAT YOU WANT. You want as little distance between nodes as possible. Largely--and someone might know more on this point--in a room, versus a tent, it's about having lights hung low enough. But in either situation it's actually and ultimately about enough lumens, so the reflective capacity of the tent will have an effect. Hang lights as low as temperature and other climatic factors allow--AGAIN, LIGHT IS NOT MY EXPERTISE SO ANYONE JUMP IN HERE.

soil is next. and we'll start a little group conversation about pot size and the number of times to transplant to larger pots. but with your set up, you want to go as big a pot as you can. and if you're gonna create living soil--with fungi and bacteria breaking down whole components into sugars and then into particular nutrients in particular ratios--well, that's a whole thing. it takes time. alot of time. and that will affect your choice of pot size and pot material....

Callipygous

Callipygous

Getting everything more in line added a humidifier for the room the tent is in helped. I fed my plants for the first time plus foliar sprayed with bloom khaos. So far so good!
Does anyone know how to add potassium silicate too a feed schedule, I’ve heard it doesn’t mix with other nutrients is this true? I have some I’d like to start using but would like advice on usage

BBAFFBBF 70E4 4C7D ABCC EE26AC3CCCEE
36CA3781 3C25 4619 9906 1E87093D3EF7
D8197642 4C0A 4B8D A8CD 277B9A933B9A
Callipygous

Callipygous

Grow update, this is day 12 of growth from seed. I fed them again today with a dilute regiment of Nectar for the Gods line(pH'ed to 6.4), and Foliar sprayed Khaos Bloom(pH'ed to 6.2). So far so good, I'm trying to nurse one that was injured earlier in its seed development back to health, hopefully I can turn it around like these two, we'll see.

IMG 2091
IMG 2092
IMG 2093
IMG 2094
IMG 2095
IMG 2096
IMG 2097
IMG 2098
SinCity

SinCity

Callipygous or steatopygous: in the eye of the beholder? ;)

Great to see your babies! Don't feed any nutrients designated 'bloom' until you're flowering. Plants want different ratios of nutrients during vegetative growth (present stage) versus flowering (i.e., blooming). Are you sure you want to add more potassium separately? Your nutrient blend already has potassium...Be a bit careful with nutrient load--you can burn the plants with too much food. There are optimal parts per million of nutrient mixes....I also think it's time to transplant. You'll be surprised at how quickly roots grow.

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

they look good.. FFOF is good for up to 3 weeks.. IMHO you shouldnt be feeding them,, you could see tox in a week or so... Make sure you only use 25 to 50% of what the bottle say to use.. There is quite a bit of misinformation on this thread... Might be a good thread for all of you, to learn together, as he displays his grow journal

Callipygous

Callipygous

Bloom Khaos is what drives the Nectar line it just has Bloom in its name, it’s a calcium facilitator and their whole line is calcium based instead of salt based. Without the bloom khaos the plants don’t optimally uptake the calcium from the rhizosphere.

Looking for a gal with Callipygous not Steatopygous

1CF54198 1324 4149 8648 A91E1FBA48B3
EventHorizan

EventHorizan

Bloom Khaos is what drives the Nectar line it just has Bloom in its name, it’s a calcium facilitator and their whole line is calcium based instead of salt based. Without the bloom khaos the plants don’t optimally uptake the calcium from the rhizosphere.

Looking for a gal with Callipygous not Steatopygous
calcium is a salt.. And Im pretty sure Nectar of the gods is a salt based nutrient..
@incogneato Can you verify for me as I know you use, or at least used this line for awhile?

Latest posts

Top Bottom