Hello. First grow. Might as well start with the best.

• Thread starter twist1
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ttystikk

ttystikk

Papa has a great perspective, and building one room at a time makes sense. I would still aim for two bloom rooms in the big picture- and running your first bloom room for a month will give you the skills needed to get the second one up and going with less effort. After all, if you run each room so that it gets a new batch a month opposite the other, it will be a month before you'll need the second bloom room anyway.

By the way, that's another effective strategy; buy your equipment with an eye toward the eventual goal- but don't buy the individual parts before you need them. In your shoes, I would be a lot more concerned right now with getting a top notch veg section going, because without that, nothing else matters!

twist1

twist1

I understand what you are saying about the two rooms.

Regarding the controllers... do the bluelab guardian and sentinel 4 work for one room only, or can it control two?

If they only control one..... is there a better one out there that controls two?

Papa

Papa

Supporter
one system only. and then you have a pen for a backup.

everything goes out or has a problem at some time or another. it's really nice to have two of stuff around to allow you to troubleshoot better. when i'm questioning the accurateness of a pH probe on the guardian (rarely), it's really nice to be able to pull a probe off another one and plug it in and see what it tells me.

but as ttystikk says, this is a reason to start with one room. you'll know after one room if that instrument is going to work alright for you, before you lay out the cash for a second one.

twist1

twist1

Met up with ttystikk... pretty cool dude, who definitely has a passion for growing.

Alright, some progress has been made:
Got my seeds going. Dropped Blue Dream and White Lighting:)
Couple of Evergreen T5's on order for those tiny ladies.
Bluelab combo meter on order.
Construction will begin tomorrow. The two flower rooms will be 14' x 10'. Veg room will be 7' x 12'.. trying to squeeze that extra foot if I can, to make it an even 8'.
Flower rooms will have 6 plants each @ 60" centers one way, and 56" the other. With 12 lights, all vertical..... looking like: 10x 600w Gavitas around the room, and 2x 1000w in the center.
Veg room lighting: the two T5's should be here soon for the one side. And I'm still debating MH or CMH for the other veg area.

Olyver

Olyver

Get a good lighting controller for all your ballasts, if you need one built, send me a PM.

W

Wyckoff

I know I'm late to the party but I would have suggested LED grow lights for your situation. I don't want to turn this into a debate about HID versus LED but the extra money you would spend on good LED lights would save you on a lot of the environment control and the long-term cost benefits are significant when you factor in over-all power usage and bulb replacement.

Overall - I think you are over doing it. If you want to get good at growing you should build your own dwc system. These things break and need tweeks and learning the ins and outs will help. Its pretty simple. Maybe start with one scrog under one solid light. This would teach you a tremendous amount and you would have new ideas about your full-scale setup. You are going to make changes no matter how much research you do. Nothing makes up for experience.

I admire the ambition. I hope it works out. I made the exact same mistake when I started and still managed.

twist1

twist1

I know I'm late to the party but I would have suggested LED grow lights for your situation. I don't want to turn this into a debate about HID versus LED but the extra money you would spend on good LED lights would save you on a lot of the environment control and the long-term cost benefits are significant when you factor in over-all power usage and bulb replacement.

Overall - I think you are over doing it. If you want to get good at growing you should build your own dwc system. These things break and need tweeks and learning the ins and outs will help. Its pretty simple. Maybe start with one scrog under one solid light. This would teach you a tremendous amount and you would have new ideas about your full-scale setup. You are going to make changes no matter how much research you do. Nothing makes up for experience.

I admire the ambition. I hope it works out. I made the exact same mistake when I started and still managed.

No doubt. And man, you're right on so many levels..... especially the LED's. They are 'almost' there. Just too much initial investment, no matter the longevity and return. If there was an abundance to capital---- more people would do LED's in my opinion. Or maybe some low interest loans on their lights:) HAHA, now that'd be great;)

Some things have changed since that first post. I got a better understanding, and I'm actually building my own system now with 27 gallon tubs.
The two flower rooms will still be 10x14, with 12 lights in each room (8x1000w & 4x600w on the corners) and 6 plants. The Gavita's were nice (and expensive) but the manufacturer suggests not to hang them vertically.... so I stopped looking at them. I ended up going with Solis Tek Matrix ballasts.
Going with a water cooled system.

I always jump in too deep and bite off more than I can chew.... but somehow, I always manage to get it done. I'm saying none of that sarcastically or arrogantly, cause I don't know shit about this just yet, but I'm a determined motherF'er and I never quit. I hope like you--- that I'll manage this shit:)

W

Wyckoff

I've been growing for 10 years with HPS mostly and have finally made the switch to LED. There are techniques that pair better with LEDs. You aren't going to grow trees. I am definitely enjoying the quality. I can get the same from 600 watts of LED as 1000 watts of HPS. I'm definitely growing frostier buds and think the spectrums for LEDs are getting really good. I also am enjoying the quieter environment and my power bills.

There are a few LED panels that are worth the money but most are extremely over-priced garbage. I know that LEDs are the future. The amount of research going into LED tech is astounding and the lights are only going to get better, cheaper and draw less power. Its completely reinvigorated my passion for growing. I'm experimenting more and having fun with it. The lights pay for themselves pretty quickly.

Just like I wouldn't recommend someone who is trying to learn how to drive to go on the freeway, I don't recommend what you are doing. I would recommend to any first time grower to do a simple grow with one plant in soil and one light and then move on to hydro and bigger systems. If you are a hard worker and determined you definitely will get there, I just don't think its the most efficient way to get where you want to go.

Enjoy.

B

bevnice343

I am also a new grower about to start the process and all this info is amazing! I am wondering if there is a specific strain of marijuana that will help with how to tighten skin? I know that is an odd request, but I swear I feel like my skin is getting old and crappy looking way beyond my age! I have heard of strains for different medical reasons and just was wondering if anyone ever heard of a strain for something like that? Thanks in advance!

Top Bottom