Hello from Phoenix

• Thread starter azgno
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
azgno

azgno

Hello everyone,

I’m Geno from AZ, very happy to have found the forums AND for rec legalization here!! I’m not new to growing but damn sure have a ton to learn. I’m a dirt guy because it’s what I know, but I’m willing to learn.

I did upgrade this time around to start with FF Happy Frog with some Mykos, top fed with a little Nectar of the Gods mixed in the top 2-3 inches when transplanted into 5 gal from 1gal starter pots at about 30 days old.

Current projects: 3 unknown strain photo’s started from seed 3/20 x2 & 3/27, training for height, not enough room for netting so trying to maximize “mains” so doing a little bonsai bending on those.
The other 3 (staying in legal plant limits in AZ) are all autos
NY Diesel 4/8/21
Orange Sherbet 4/11/21
Pineapple Express #2 4/12/21

While my current setup isn’t adequate to maximize yield, if past experience still holds true then I should be good with the final product, fingers crossed & weed gods willing.

Newbelinginaz

Newbelinginaz

Welcome! I to live in the land of no humidity and my grow is just fine.

This place is like being in Phoenix in the winter. Friendly Canadians everywhere with nothing to do.

PerfecTrader

PerfecTrader

Hell yeah bud. We everywhere no doubt. 2 of the 4 girls I'm growin came from a guy who bred them in Havasu. Dude is a wicked master hydro grower. If my 1st grow works out I'm gonna owe much of it to his help as well as from other herbers in this group. Sick af community of knowledgeable solid peeps who just want to share the love 💪

Pushrod Monkey

Pushrod Monkey

In 1985 I moved to Phoenix. Was working at a Harley shop on Indian School. I wasn’t growing but we had customers who brought bud that was top shelf all the way. No questions were asked and nothing but bud offered. But I could tell there was at least 3 growers with killer bud. One from Apache Junction.

phxazcraig

phxazcraig

Hello everyone,

I’m Geno from AZ, very happy to have found the forums AND for rec legalization here!! I’m not new to growing but damn sure have a ton to learn. I’m a dirt guy because it’s what I know, but I’m willing to learn.
I've very interested to hear from other Phoenix growers about how the deal with the low humidity when trying to dry and cure your harvest? My first attempt of some autos a year ago ended badly. I hung the plants in a kind of room I have under the stairs as the coolest place in the house. Unfortunately the RH was only 20%, and I had super dry buds in 2 days. No way to cure the hay smell out of that, plus I had so little yield I couldn't wait long enough for a cure anyway.

Second attempt had me putting big plastic bags around the hanging branches in an attempt to keep the RH up and slow the drying down. That helped about a day, but 3 days is still too fast.

My last attempt had me trying different techniques, including starting some of the buds drying in paper bags in a wine cooler. I also left fan leaves untrimmed to slow the dry down (helped some, pain to trim later).

I'm mostly resigned to either just doing the best I can with a fast dry and long cure, or looking to technology to try to find or build a small drying and curing chamber to use for a pound or two twice a year.

Pushrod Monkey

Pushrod Monkey

I've very interested to hear from other Phoenix growers about how the deal with the low humidity when trying to dry and cure your harvest? My first attempt of some autos a year ago ended badly. I hung the plants in a kind of room I have under the stairs as the coolest place in the house. Unfortunately the RH was only 20%, and I had super dry buds in 2 days. No way to cure the hay smell out of that, plus I had so little yield I couldn't wait long enough for a cure anyway.

Second attempt had me putting big plastic bags around the hanging branches in an attempt to keep the RH up and slow the drying down. That helped about a day, but 3 days is still too fast.

My last attempt had me trying different techniques, including starting some of the buds drying in paper bags in a wine cooler. I also left fan leaves untrimmed to slow the dry down (helped some, pain to trim later).

I'm mostly resigned to either just doing the best I can with a fast dry and long cure, or looking to technology to try to find or build a small drying and curing chamber to use for a pound or two twice a year.
Tent. Inkbird humidistat. Cool mist humidifier. Exhaust fan connected to the Work 2 outlet.

DanC520

DanC520

If you dry in a tent with a humidity triggered fan, shouldn’t be a big deal. Even after chop, the gals radiate humidity. I only use humidifier in early veg.

phxazcraig

phxazcraig

Tent. Inkbird humidistat. Cool mist humidifier. Exhaust fan connected to the Work 2 outlet.
I have a temp, 3 humidifiers and a fan with humidity control.

BUT - I live in Phoenix, so most of the year the A/C will be running with a house RH of less than 40%, sometimes dramatically less. So the typical issue is the tent getting too hot, at which time the fan kicks in, and there is no way to control the humidity at that point.

Now - without a light in the tent, I can keep the temps to about the same as the house, but that's 77F. I've read many times that drying should be done below 70F, and certainly not close to 80f or more.

What sort of temp/RH can one expect in a light-free tent in the summer here?

Pushrod Monkey

Pushrod Monkey

I have a temp, 3 humidifiers and a fan with humidity control.

BUT - I live in Phoenix, so most of the year the A/C will be running with a house RH of less than 40%, sometimes dramatically less. So the typical issue is the tent getting too hot, at which time the fan kicks in, and there is no way to control the humidity at that point.

Now - without a light in the tent, I can keep the temps to about the same as the house, but that's 77F. I've read many times that drying should be done below 70F, and certainly not close to 80f or more.

What sort of temp/RH can one expect in a light-free tent in the summer here?

This is when guys start talking mini-splits.

DanC520

DanC520

If you dry in a tent with a humidity triggered fan, shouldn’t be a big deal. Even after chop, the gals radiate humidity. I only use humidifier in early veg.
I’m in Tucson. Same conditions.

josefrahl

josefrahl

This is what I figured out. I hang dry in a cardboard box with 4 scissor holes in the top, a fan oscilating(sp) on the front about 5' feet away, and one side open about 1/2". After 4 or 5 days when the outside feels a little crunchy I finish the trim and put into medium mason jars about 50% full. I 'll check them every few hours, if they feel wet again I leave the tops off, and let them dry until outside of buds are slightly dry again. I repeat this process for 4-7 days making sure to mix up the buds so the same nugs aren't always on top. When they feel like cannabis you'd buy after a session with lids on, I put the humidity packs in the jars and cure normally for 2 weeks.

They always have that hay smell after the initial hang dry, but get most of their original aroma back. Kind of a hands on process, but with heat and low humidity here it's been the best I've found.

DanC520

DanC520

I have a plant drying in my mini tent right now. No humidifier and ac on in that room.
52A20206 0C49 472F B3FB 975F993C8953

phxazcraig

phxazcraig

I'm now 3 weeks into flower with a crop of Sour Diesel. I've removed my humidifier, changed my grow tent (!) out for a taller one, and changed to an AC-Infinity fan for both temp and humidity control. The plants, now 8 weeks old, are almost 6 feet high counting pot and riser. High humidity is the problem now. Was a problem before, except my fan didn't control it, so I ignored it. Now my fan is running at 70-80% to keep RH down to 54%. Temps 67F at night and 78F in daytime.

I've added a powered intake duct fan. The tent is bowed out now from pressure. Runs 24x7.

I'm far more worried about how to slowly dry the crop in this climate.

Top Bottom