HELP! Are these POLLEN SACS?!

• Thread starter 420DankBud
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
Actually... The lights matter. There are 2 great peer reviewed canadian studies and a handful of papers from WA universities, but not peer reviewed.

It is strain dependent, and some might be tolerant, but even those can Hermie due to equipment lights under many situations.

Funnily enough, a green one seems ok. A blue is the worst closely followed by red.

Og_punkgenetics

Og_punkgenetics

So Iā€™m currently in week 4 of the flower phase and everything has been looking great. All 6 plants produced buds, therefore, they all were female. Today I noticed a white powdery substance on a few leaves. My first thought was powdery mildew so I started removing all ā€œinfectedā€ leaves and two decent sized buds that had the power on them to play it safe. After trimming up a bunch of leaves I noticed these little ball structures on the bottom 1/3 of the plant that had the white powdery substance on it and now Iā€™m thinking they could be pollen sacs. Can anyone tell from the pictures?

Is it possible for a plant to switch to a hermie 4 weeks into flower? This is my first grow so everything is new & im not 100% confident in diagnosing correctly. Any thoughts are much appreciated!

ps - I didnā€™t get a chance to grab any pics of the powdery substance but Iā€™ll be back in my grow tomorrow. If I see more Iā€™ll take pics and update.
Yep it's either genetics or light leaks or the plants are being stressed by heat/light/ low humidity. Aside from hermy genetics light leaks or exposure to light in the dark are the most common culprit

growsince79

growsince79

Yep it's either genetics or light leaks or the plants are being stressed by heat/light/ low humidity. Aside from hermy genetics light leaks or exposure to light in the dark are the most common culprit
I once had one herm because of spider mites (in think). Same clone wasn't bothered by a little light leak.

lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
I've only had one throw nanners in late flower. It didn't seed.

I had one bag seed very early grow girl parts and in about 2 weeks grew boy parts. Just on the right top branch. I cut that branch and gave her to a friend who thought it was a pretty house plant.

I stare at my plants and take lots of pics, so about the day they showed it was moved.

No idea why, but both were bag seed. I figure they got in the bag due to a Hermie in the crop, so bad genetics to start with. So I never looked further for cause

None of the seeds I purchased have done it.

Mugwort

Mugwort

Damnā€¦that really sucks. I wish I wouldā€™ve identified it earlier. How long do you think until I can tell if the other plants were pollinated? Will they start growing pollen sacs or just produce seed
Damnā€¦that really sucks. I wish I wouldā€™ve identified it earlier. How long do you think until I can tell if the other plants were pollinated? Will they start growing pollen sacs or just produce seeds?
Sounds like youā€™ve done all you can. Youā€™ve isolated the inter-sex plant. I suppose you can get on your hands and knees with a bottle of bleach solution and start scrubbing the area around the other 5 plants but itā€™s probably too late. Make sure you do some pollen cleaning after the grow is over. Perhaps youā€™ll just get a few seeds forming in the buds in just one or two remaining plants in just a few bud sites! It just dawned on me that your post is over three weeks old. If you wouldnā€™t mind getting back with me letting me know how it turned out...

Roadblock

Roadblock

Yep anything stressful can cause it, I had a lot of problems with air exchange, I thought it was fine and had loads circulating around the room but it wasn't exchanging fast enough as one fan was working against another, caused Hermies, root issues and bugs , room was running on an edge where it didn't take much to start a problem there was no buffer with temps and feeding, sorted the air out and no bugs no hermies no problems from the same strain.

FOE20

FOE20

Maestro Loco
Supporter
Dont use seed from those even if they produce some...very bad idea and the herm trait is 1 you do not want to continue or pass to others....
you might be able to smoke a bit of the bud if it turns out at all but thats why you want to run solid proven genetics IMO...perfect example...gl
FOE20

Reactions: TSD
Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
It looks like the pollen sacs are only on that one plant, but theyā€™re dispersed throughout the top and bottom. I added more pics and took the hermie out of my grow tent and separated it into a different area. Iā€™m still hoping to harvest the bud from it since itā€™s turning out nice & itā€™s for personal use šŸ˜Ž. The strain is glittles but I got them from a buddy who had some ā€œfeminizedā€ seeds laying around. I checked the other plants and they all appear to be fine and not producing seeds, but only time will tell. Is there anything else you recommend doing?
Btw These plants were switched over to the flower phase on July 5 so itā€™s only been a little over 4 weeks.
glittles? Glittlez. The Glittlez is categorized as a hybrid and was formulated by Ethos. It is a crossed between the famous GG4 and the Zkittlez.

That's crazy, because both strains tend to be rock solid, perhaps it's something crossing over from the zkittlez (sativa hybrid) line. The one I had was stable, in the extreme. Difficult to say, my guess is stress induced, (for what it's worth) considering the parentage, and appearance. I've only seen this occur a few times, and I always dump the strain. These days I have little patience for instability, (let alone genuine hermaphroditism). Except this pure landrace Thai I've been playing with. However, I signed up for that upfront. Landrace Thai are notorious for this behavior, same with a few strains I've grown from Alaska, like NL and some of it's descendants. Green crack, ATF.

I tend to lean away from sativa dom in general because of this reason, plus excessive flowering times, avoiding the stretchy. Indica's & hybrids have everything I'm looking for in cannabis. Most desirable sativa traits can be transplanted into a proper faster flowering Indica body, shorter nodes, vigor and weight bearing.
Sativas IMO, are premadonna's of cannabis world.

I've Simply been working with this Thai out of sheer curiosity for breeding sake, see how quickly I can stabilize and reduce flowering times. Sativa's simply require tightly controlled lighting parameters, that are often difficult to accomplish in a tent that doesn't have some sort of darkness buffer in place.
Pinhole or a tiny LED, or any disruption will make them freak. 5 min light at the wrong time = FUBAR.... Generally speaking the plant kingdom in general, only 6 percent of flowering plant species are entirely dioecious and about 7% of angiosperm genera contain some dioecious species.

Indica and Rudy are outliers.
True hermaphrodites diagnosed in the past have been preferentially reared as males. So if you grow out any resulting offspring, you should be able to sort this mystery. If you end up with fem's entirely, it's should be fairly definitive confirmation diagnosis of stress induction.

Last edited:
Mugwort

Mugwort

Did you know carbon filter wont stop pollen? Last year I made about 10000 seeds. Fans blasting and pollen everywhere. It was so much pollen every bee and wasp in town was outside trying to get in through the exhaust vent. After 3 or 4 days, the bees were gone. 6 weeks later I harvested my 100% seed crop. Ten weeks after that I harvested perfect sensimilla. Never even sprayed with water because I already knew I didn't need to.
Thatā€™s because you are EXPERIENCED...judging by the quality of your texts Iā€™ll bet youā€™ve been growing since the end of the 70s!

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
1779 (MDCCLXXIX) was a common year starting on Friday of the Gregorian calendar and a common year starting on Tuesday of the Julian calendar, the 1779th year of the Common Era (CE) and Anno Domini (AD) designations, the 779th year of the 2nd millennium, the 79th year of the 18th century, and the 10th and last year of the 1770s decade.

January 11 ā€“ British troops surrender to the Marathas in Wadgaon, India
January 22 ā€“ American Revolutionary War ā€“ Claudius Smith is hanged at Goshen, Orange County, New York.
February 14 ā€“ Captain James Cook is killed on the Sandwich Islands, on his third voyage.
April 1 - Growsince79 (Older brother of Johnny Appleseed) plants his first crop of cannabis.
Grown79

Last edited:
Ponky

Ponky

Herms only happen to genetically inferior plants. Always kill the genetically inferior examples in your room.Destroy the entire lineage. Start with fresh DNA.

growsince79

growsince79

Herms only happen to genetically inferior plants. Always kill the genetically inferior examples in your room.Destroy the entire lineage. Start with fresh DNA.
I think that depends on your definition of inferior. Some of the most potent strains of all time are known to herm. Good breeders have been trying to breed it out for decades. But without strains that herm, most of today's strongest strains wouldn't exist.

Ponky

Ponky

I think that depends on your definition of inferior. Some of the most potent strains of all time are known to herm. Good breeders have been trying to breed it out for decades. But without strains that herm, most of today's strongest strains wouldn't exist.
When you buy a pack of seeds the herms mean they didn't breed it right. And they've robbed you. So you destroy that lineage. Unless you plan of breeding those seeds and trying to eventually get rid of the herm trait. No. Good weed is bred from landrace strains. All plants can be made to drop seeds. Most plants that just drop seeds anyway are a waste of your time. Back breeding is the future. Cookie gloopy poopy cake fart dream candy corn strains that you buy that drop seeds are just a scam. If you want seeds use regs and colloidal silver or just wait them out. If you grew some weed with seeds and have decided the weed is sooooo good you need to destroy those seeds and figure out the bias that had you thinking smoking that seed weed was good. When you know you hate weed with seeds. The more people keep nonsense mail order garbage genetics going the more diluted the pool gets. Breed responsibly. Never feel feelings for a plant. Sensimilia or nothing.

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
We are drowning in information but starved for knowledge. Heat and Light stress are the two most common causes of a marijuana plant turning into a hermie PERIOD.

ā€œOne houseā€. That is to say that monoecious plants have both male and female flowers on the same plant, but not the same blossom.

The two types of flowers are distinct on a monoecious plant. Monoecious plants are also sometimes referred to as hermaphrodites since they have both male and female reproductive organs. This however is only accurate if both are on the same, perfect flower. A classification of ā€œbisexualā€ is more accurate when the plant produces both male and female flowers separately.

Lets lay this mythos to rest.

Most (all species) of plants are monoecious, meaning that individuals have both female and male structures. In flowering plants
Cannabis gets its own category here since it can be either monoecious or dioecious. https://www.maximumyield.com/are-cannabis-plants-monecious-or-dioecious/2/5095

Simply put, cannabis exist in nature as Both. Nothing inferior whatsoever, sensitive, or easily light stressed would likely be a far more accurate term. I would argue we more often than not, dismiss as inferior; is labeled as such; with bias; ignorance of the facts, on our part. ie. misinterpretation and frustration; nothing more.

Sometimes; it's good to re-evaluate what were doing. Take a good look around, and see if there's something that was overlooked, or missed. New things that can be learned. Broaden our horizon's. I've thrown many a strain; thinking it was genetic, when it was actually, me. No longer.

Bingo! Some of the worlds best cultivars descend from

Sour D, Blueberry, Skunk, Northern Lights (along with almost every strain out of Alaska)
Then we can sit and talk about landrace sativas; that's a subject in it's own right.

Last edited:
Ponky

Ponky

We are drowning in information but starved for knowledge. Heat and Light stress are the two most common causes of a marijuana plant turning into a hermie.

ā€œOne houseā€. That is to say that monoecious plants have both male and female flowers on the same plant, but not the same blossom.

The two types of flowers are distinct on a monoecious plant. Monoecious plants are also sometimes referred to as hermaphrodites since they have both male and female reproductive organs. This however is only accurate if both are on the same, perfect flower. A classification of ā€œbisexualā€ is more accurate when the plant produces both male and female flowers separately.

Lets lay this mythos to rest.

Most (all species) of plants are monoecious, meaning that individuals have both female and male structures. In flowering plants
Cannabis gets its own category here since it can be either monoecious or dioecious. https://www.maximumyield.com/are-cannabis-plants-monecious-or-dioecious/2/5095

Simply put, cannabis exist in nature as

Bingo! Some of the worlds best cultivars descend from

Sour D, Blueberry, Skunk, Northern Lights (along with almost every strain out of Alaska)
Then we can sit and talk about landrace sativas; that's a subject in it's own right.
And when you buy seeds and they herm they're trash. Because the breeding work should already be done before they sell the product. I mean unless they label them as seedy bud. If the bud has seeds you don't want it. If you're going to try and breed the trait out of some seeds that's great. But the point stands. If you want to smoke good weed then don't waste your time with buds that drop seeds. Let someone else breed the product until it is good, then buy it. And name the place that sold you the product. So no one else buys it.

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
And when you buy seeds and they herm they're trash. Because the breeding work should already be done before they sell the product. I mean unless they label them as seedy bud. If the bud has seeds you don't want it. If you're going to try and breed the trait out of some seeds that's great. But the point stands. If you want to smoke good weed then don't waste your time with buds that drop seeds. Let someone else breed the product until it is good, then buy it. And name the place that sold you the product. So no one else buys it.
I don't buy seeds anymore. none. I make them.

I also take great care to ensure all my genetics are as far from herm as humanly possible, and that new growers get the proper cultivars, so they can learn the ropes, before making rookie errors.

Then lay blame at my feet.

Ponky

Ponky

I don't buy seeds anymore. none. I make them.
Let's just say so many packs of seeds are just a pack of lies. Always with the herms, budrot and fungus. And then there are the clone houses. Always good. Never herm. Never bud rot. Always consistent. Literally the only seeds that have given me a plant with that deep sweet smell and ample frost has been 34 St. Seed company. Sold through a government store. And that makes me sad. Lemon Garlic was nice. But always with the little seeds. So close.

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
This is the most herm plant I've ever saw, hands down.

A landrace Thai.
Let's just say so many packs of seeds are just a pack of lies. Always with the herms, budrot and fungus. And then there are the clone houses. Always good. Never herm. Never bud rot. Always consistent. Literally the only seeds that have given me a plant with that deep sweet smell and ample frost has been 34 St. Seed company. Sold through a government store. And that makes me sad. Lemon Garlic was nice. But always with the little seeds. So close.
If you want some really dank seeds ponky that won't go Hermie, Ill send you a package of them for free. Multiple cultivars.

You can flower the fuckers in near 24 hour sunlight, if you like. There that resistant. They are stinky as fuck also, at least some of them are. But I will admit they need a little pheno hunting, if your looking for something special.

IMG 20211109 234128565
IMG 20211105 200351896
IMG 20211105 154644286
IMG 20211105 154910812
IMG 20211110 144626279

Latest posts

Top Bottom