Help- Fresh grass smell

• Thread starter WhoDat
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
W

WhoDat

I have read many posts and done many searches on this subject but could really use some help with my situation.

So, I got a good deal on some buds from SoCal that smell of fresh cut grass/hay. I did not grow them and I have no knowledge of the growers methods. All I do know is that under the grassy smell is a deep skunk and citrusy smell. The skunk is only noticable in the room that I keep the bud, but not once you get real close and smell it. The smoke smells of skunk/garlic too.

Most of the stems bend but do not snap. There are still some flowers on the buds as you can see from the pic. I did leave a sample out overnight and more crystals are becoming visible, although the smell has not changed but has decreased in intensity slightly. Overall the bud does not seem overly moist, however it is by no means dry and brittle.

I want this bud to be the best that it can. What would be the best steps to take to minimize any damage that may have already taken place and to get the bud to its highest potential. Any ideas are much appreciated!

Help  fresh grass smell
SCARHOLE

SCARHOLE

Just don't let it dry fast. As long as it's slow it will be good.
An the first 36-48hrs are the most important!

smokum

smokum

Look into jar curing and slow the drying down. Your aroma & flavor should return with that process.

K

kumbianchaºseed

minimum 2 weeks to dry! and 1 month of cure, the more cure stronger the weed

G

grandunifier

you can remove that grass smell at 90 F in a dehydrator but you'll remove many desireable flavor terpenes and leave just the skunky ones. If you dry until the ouside is crispy and then lock them into jars for a month to 6mos, after a week or two of burping the jars 1-2 times you can just leave em closed you'll end up with OK product.
While dehydrating, check periodically for outer stiffness and overall smell, eventually you will reach a PONR when the dehydrated stuff is light as a feather and smells like nothing, so be careful.

The extra greenery smell comes from too much nitrogen in the soil during the final weeks and a lack of a good 1-2 week pre take down flush.
Sounds like it's not dry enough to bottle up anyways if you put it in there too wet they will get all soggy, my rule is: dehydrate at 80-90F until stiff and crunchy outside and a little bendy inside and then jar em.

or the old fashioned method of paper-baggin it for a month will retain flavor while eliminating the grassy smells, a carboard box on top of your fridge with an open top works too.

W

WhoDat

Update

Thank you for all the good information and tips! After 18hrs in the paper bag it was dry enough to put into a extra large glass jar, leaving little room. I tried to be careful not to over dry. My burp cycle is roughly 10hrs closed/10min open, repeat. I'm keeping it a dark spot.

Overall things already seem to be getting better. The crystals are already becoming more visible as it cures. As for the hay smell it is still present but nowhere near as strong. Is it fine that I do not see any water build up on the inside of the jar top when I open it to burp?

T

thehanz123

you dont wana see any water drops inside the jars.. that means ur buds are too wet

Top Bottom