Help - Good or Bad? Mite identification

• Thread starter jaysully90
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
jaysully90

jaysully90

Hi guys - I've been around quietly reading, and I finally have a possible issue that I could use the vast amount of knowledge from the members here.

Yesterday after a very trying week and a week of plant neglect due to family issues, I opened the 2x4 to find that one of the plants had a bunch of white spots on the build-a-flower topdress. After putting it under the microscope, I found what I think are some type of mite (photos attached)

Here is a little background - I am attempting growing in organic living soil; I started with Coast of Maine Stonington blend in 7-gallon pots (going to up pot to 15 before flip) and have been topdressing with BAS craft blend and using boogie brew teas. I know I was pushing the container size, so I decided to toss a little BAS build a flower a week or so ago to ensure the soil microbiology was strong. Yesterday the pot was dryer than it should have been, and I noticed the spots on the compost top dress.

From the research that I have been able to do, they look like soil mites, but I am not positive and not sure what to do about them. I dont want to destroy them if there beneficial and i dont want to kill microbiology by getting rid of them if not. I actually just got in the mail an IPM kit, including Em5, the amazing Doctor Zymes, and Tweetmint. I also have AzaMax.

I expected some hiccups and am more than happy to learn from them, but if I can avoid throwing a month-plus away, it would be amazing!

Any help or recommendations would be greatly appreciated!!

Help   good or bad mite identification
Help   good or bad mite identification 2
Help   good or bad mite identification 3
Help   good or bad mite identification 4
P

PahPahCee

I don’t see any “tail pipes” which would indicate its aphids.

I would suggest collecting some of this soil/bugs and putting it on a blank white sheet of paper. Now use your magnifying scope and you’ll get a better picture.

S

Stonemason7767

Looks like hypoaspis mites.they are a beneficial. I think build a soil has them in thier mix.mabey im not 100% sure with the picture,but it looks like there are babies and adults so they have been there for a little bit.if you havnt seen marks on the leaves I would assume they are not feeding on your plants,so beneficial. Look them up see what you think.

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

My reading suggests soil mites have 8 legs and root aphids have 6 legs.
Soil mites are good and root aphids are bad.
Hopefully more help will find this thread.
I don’t see any “tail pipes” which would indicate its aphids.

I would suggest collecting some of this soil/bugs and putting it on a blank white sheet of paper. Now use your magnifying scope and you’ll get a better picture.
Looks like hypoaspis mites.they are a beneficial. I think build a soil has them in thier mix.mabey im not 100% sure with the picture,but it looks like there are babies and adults so they have been there for a little bit.if you havnt seen marks on the leaves I would assume they are not feeding on your plants,so beneficial. Look them up see what you think.
Agreed. Nothing to worry about.

P

PahPahCee

8C7A5578 01DC 4B80 B63C 1994266A685A
BA69BB59 9A93 49B6 B87F EBC074216E04

Here is what is in my soil. I believe this is Neoseiulus californicus. Looks similar to what you have going on. It eats spider mites and thrips and other small bugs.

Latest posts

Top Bottom