help identify problem, plants are three weeks old and looking yellow

• Thread starter BigDaddy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
BigDaddy

BigDaddy

These plants are three weeks old and one went from looking good but no stem growth to turning yellow. I made sure my nutrigen cal was included because I read if yellow means lack of cal

new grower need options

Babies feb 7
BigDaddy

BigDaddy

Nutrition? Seedlings don't need nutes.youll kill them...
shit I thought low like 2 ml per liter so stop giving them any nutritions and use distilled water for how long

Purepiff

Purepiff

Ur issue isn't a note thing I think it is just a weak seed. When u pop seeds it's only the strong survive situation. Rock wool is def a more difficult medium for your seedling to survive, that's why I reccomend soil starts especially for a new grower because in soil u wont have to add any nutes till it is actually a plant and not a seedling. Adding light nutes isn't a bad idea maybe precharge the rockwool with a super light dose like you said 2ml per gal type of thing

sturgis

sturgis

…….jmo...….plants that small still need food....but just low amounts, they need calcium more than anything.....cell grow is all calcium related......if they were mine I would give them 100ppm calmag + 50ppm micros......with few drops kelp/seaweed...….warmth and good light is important as well...……...good luck

BigCube

BigCube

…….jmo...….plants that small still need food....but just low amounts, they need calcium more than anything.....cell grow is all calcium related......if they were mine I would give them 100ppm calmag + 50ppm micros......with few drops kelp/seaweed...….warmth and good light is important as well...……...good luck

The seed itself has everything it needs till its rooted. Giving it anything is a risk.
A risk that does not need to be taken.

Not just my opinion, but actual fact.

Nugg

Nugg

Yes I forget a lot..I smoke a lot and don't say what I'm thinking..as there mentioned small amount of nutes... depending on your water...I use my well water for the first 3 weeks with no issues..with that said it is 165 ppm.of stuff?.. most with ro water use cal/mag to somewhere close to that...I use rockwool for seedlings..it's is a pain in that ass at first...this is what I've learned myself to get best results...I pre soak my rw..I ph'd in the past but no longer do..my well..at 7.1. I squeeze out excess water..make my own hole for seed about halfway in..I never water the rw again,that was the trick..I mist with plain well water until roots make it to water,then I add ass needed.. everyone will do it differently...

sturgis

sturgis

The seed itself has everything it needs till its rooted. Giving it anything is a risk.
A risk that does not need to be taken.

Not just my opinion, but actual fact.
…....I understand what your saying, and that's good advice, when they are first popped from seed...….....but..…..these aren't 3 days old......he stated they are 3 weeks old...…...if they are out of the seed hull...…standing up........they have roots......the small round leaves can only provide so much initial energy for growth...…looking thru your pics.... at 3 weeks your plants are small bushes.....again jmo

BigCube

BigCube

Yes I forget a lot..I smoke a lot and don't say what I'm thinking..as there mentioned small amount of nutes... depending on your water...I use my well water for the first 3 weeks with no issues..with that said it is 165 ppm.of stuff?.. most with ro water use cal/mag to somewhere close to that...I use rockwool for seedlings..it's is a pain in that ass at first...this is what I've learned myself to get best results...I pre soak my rw..I ph'd in the past but no longer do..my well..at 7.1. I squeeze out excess water..make my own hole for seed about halfway in..I never water the rw again,that was the trick..I mist with plain well water until roots make it to water,then I add ass needed.. everyone will do it differently...

Same. I no longer ph correct rockwool. Seems to not need it anymore. Guess they changed it?

I do pretty much exactly the same as you. Pre soak, make my own hole. I dont squeeze the cube though I shake it out. Squeezing deforms it. Also dont re water the cubes, just spray them daily and the inside if the dome. Also make sure the tray isnt bone dry.

I think lots of people are still watering things too much. They forget the plant doesnt like sitting in water, it likes seeking out water.

BigCube

BigCube

…....I understand what your saying, and that's good advice, when they are first popped from seed...….....but..…..these aren't 3 days old......he stated they are 3 weeks old...…...if they are out of the seed hull...…standing up........they have roots......the small round leaves can only provide so much initial energy for growth...…looking thru your pics.... at 3 weeks your plants are small bushes.....again jmo

It doesnt really matter how old the plant is, it matters what stage of development it's in. Hard to believe these are 3 weeks old, but even so they need to be treated according to their growth stage. These are still sprouts. One still has the seed husk on it.

If they are 3 weeks old and looking like this, there is a problem not related at all to nutrients. If I was to guess at a few things that would cause this, I would say:

Stop watering it
Dont feed it anything
Keep your dome on it
Or keep your humidity up real high
Make sure they are fairly warm 26c ish
If the dome and tray are dry, spray them

Try not to micro manage them. The most common new growers mistakes are overwatering and over fertilizing. Killing them with kindness, or smothering them with love. 😍

Just do your best to keep their environment as close to what they want as you can get it. It will do the rest.

They can actually get quite big before they actually need nutrients. I personally wait until my first true leaves are about an inch long, by then there is another node popping up and another set of leaves.

That's what I'd say anyways 👍

Vagician

Vagician

Did you soak the cubes before putting the seeds in? Cubes are great for seedlings and clones but they have zero nutrients in them. Seeds only have enough of a nutrient reserve to grow to the first set of true leaves. After that they need nutrients. Feed this little lady a VERY light dose of whatever your veg formula is, like less than 200 ppm total. pH that solution to 6.0 +/- 0.3. You can continue at this rate for a week or two. Once those roots poke out the bottom of the cube you can put them in soil. Also, yellowing leaves generally mean nitrogen deficiency.

BigDaddy

BigDaddy

OOOF no!! Please dont feed them anything! They are looking a bit leggy. What light are you using and how close is it?
I am using a nice led lamp with full spec about three foot high. I have other plants from different seeds which are kicking butt..

BigDaddy

BigDaddy

Did you soak the cubes before putting the seeds in? Cubes are great for seedlings and clones but they have zero nutrients in them. Seeds only have enough of a nutrient reserve to grow to the first set of true leaves. After that they need nutrients. Feed this little lady a VERY light dose of whatever your veg formula is, like less than 200 ppm total. pH that solution to 6.0 +/- 0.3. You can continue at this rate for a week or two. Once those roots poke out the bottom of the cube you can put them in soil. Also, yellowing leaves generally mean nitrogen deficiency.
yeah I soaked in ph water 5.5 to 6 plus used Growth nutri 200ml in distilled water. started watering from absorption from bottom of the cube not top to promote growth of roots.

Nugg

Nugg

Same. I no longer ph correct rockwool. Seems to not need it anymore. Guess they changed it?

I do pretty much exactly the same as you. Pre soak, make my own hole. I dont squeeze the cube though I shake it out. Squeezing deforms it. Also dont re water the cubes, just spray them daily and the inside if the dome. Also make sure the tray isnt bone dry.

I think lots of people are still watering things too much. They forget the plant doesnt like sitting in water, it likes seeking out water.
I can squeeze mine because push mine into a hole the size of the cubes...the hole is cut into 2" ridged foam the is cut to fit net pot,then very little hydration in on bottom...

And bigdaddy..do you know what the ppm are..or are you just going off the label?

BigDaddy

BigDaddy

I am using a nice led lamp with full spec about three foot high. I have other plants from different seeds which are kicking butt..
It doesnt really matter how old the plant is, it matters what stage of development it's in. Hard to believe these are 3 weeks old, but even so they need to be treated according to their growth stage. These are still sprouts. One still has the seed husk on it.

If they are 3 weeks old and looking like this, there is a problem not related at all to nutrients. If I was to guess at a few things that would cause this, I would say:

Stop watering it
Dont feed it anything
Keep your dome on it
Or keep your humidity up real high
Make sure they are fairly warm 26c ish
If the dome and tray are dry, spray them

Try not to micro manage them. The most common new growers mistakes are overwatering and over fertilizing. Killing them with kindness, or smothering them with love. 😍

Just do your best to keep their environment as close to what they want as you can get it. It will do the rest.

They can actually get quite big before they actually need nutrients. I personally wait until my first true leaves are about an inch long, by then there is another node popping up and another set of leaves.

That's what I'd say anyways 👍

By the way, I bought seeds from a different vendor and planted had they look good however the stems are pretty long. I am doing the same thing but better results.

Babies II feb 7

Latest posts

Top Bottom