Help Me Create a Concentrate Recipe for Jacks 3-2-1

• Thread starter ExNavyInSTL
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Anthem

Anthem

It is really not that complicated. If you go to the Jacks321 website and look up their feeding schedules they have the ratios and weights right their. They are using 1/100 ratio for injectors. If you want to make stock you can do it based off the ratios. I would not mix the stocks but have 3 separate tanks. Can you mix jacks with Epsom salt probably but that can change how long the stock is good for as well.
If you want to make say a quart of each. Take the weights for the gallon divide by 4 now you have 1 quart or 32oz of each stock. If you want to make 5 gallons of mixed nutrients you can use their formula to figure out the correct amounts. 1 to 100. One gallon is 128 OZ x 5 gallons = 640 oz. So 6 .4 oz of each stock gets you to Jacks at full strength. Basically 1.28 oz of each stock is 1/100.
Take the weight for 100 gallons and divide by 4

Iamthedude

Iamthedude

TomH:

Based on what's been posted. It looks like I am wrong about making my concentrate as one unit. If I decide to go the concentrated route for my October grow, I'll make one jug for Jack's A & Epsom and another jug for Part B.

I only make 3 gallons at a time to add to a 12-gallon reservoir, so just using powder every batch might be the best way to go.
You will notice some will not dissolve when you add just the powder
Iamthedude:

Your level of concentration is what I was really hoping for, but I made it 100 ML so that the math would be easier for anyone who came here to help me.

I think I could run this math out based what I have learned based 1 gallon (3.8L) for all three components in separate containers

I'll try the math here and let others check it for accuracy.

Originally, I said 100ml doses and since I was making a batch of 3.8 ml that means:
  • 38 times (x) 3.6g of Jack's A (136.8 grams total)
  • 38 x 2.4g Jacks B (91.2 grams total)
  • 38 x 1.2g Epsom Salts (45.6 grams total)
I would make 3 separate jugs for A, B, & Epsom. And for each gallon add about 100ml from each jug. Although, that amount would be 300ml extra of fluid. EC would be checked and diluted a little if needed. But, I have a better Idea. Let's get further concentrated.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is where I want a math check:

More concentrated version, still based 3.8 liter of RO Water to Mix.

If I wanted 50ML doses, I would multiply 3.6g, 2.4g and 1.2g by 76 (2 x 38 to double)

If I wanted 25ML doses, I would multiply 3.6g, 2.4g and 1.2g by 152 (4 x 38 to double again)

If I wanted 12.5 ML doses, I would multiply 3.6g, 2.4g and 1.2g by 304 (8 x 38 to double again)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ideal Recipe:

Now, say I am completely correct and I decided to go with 12.5 ML ... because I like your idea of a using a syringe. Much easier than pouring.
  • Jack's A would equal 1094.4 grams of nutrient (304 x 3.6 grams = 1094.4)
  • Jack's B would equal 729.6 grams of nutrient (304 x 2.4 grams = 729.6)
  • Epsom Salts would equal 364.8 grams of nutrient (304 x 1.2 grams = 364.8)
Am I getting this right?

One more equation - Lower to 1/2 gallon (1.9 liter) Jugs of Concentrate - Still 12.5ML per Dose

If I am correct above, I'll do one more equation. Say, I only wanted 1/2 gallon (1.9 liter) jugs of concentrate, but still wanted the 12.5 ML syringe amount per gallon (3.8L):

I would just half the above number 304 to 152 to my new multiplier, which means:
  • Jack's A would equal 547.2 grams of nutrient (152 x 3.6 grams = 547.2)
  • Jack's B would equal 364.8 grams of nutrient (152 x 2.4 grams = 364.8)
  • Epsom Salts would equal 182.4 grams of nutrient (152 x 1.2 grams = 182.4)

Hat's off to steamroller for getting me started with realizing the 38 doses at 100ML. It's from his answer that I started working out the more concentrated doses.
You are thinking to much about it lol. Jacks gives you a 100 gallon recipe and your calcium nitrate should too. Mix that into whatever size jug you are using then just take whatever ml container you have abd devide by 100 and thats how many milliliters per gallon you would use

Iamthedude

Iamthedude

You will notice some will not dissolve when you add just the powder

You are thinking to much about it lol. Jacks gives you a 100 gallon recipe and your calcium nitrate should too. Mix that into whatever size jug you are using then just take whatever ml container you have abd devide by 100 and thats how many milliliters per gallon you would use
I use 1/2 gallon jugs so its basically 1900 ml is in a 1/2 gallon rounded up so i divide that by 100 and that gives me how much per gallon. 18ml a gallon is what i use give or take

steamroller

steamroller

I think 🤔 the real issue is not doing the math but finding how much is truly soluble in X water.
My thought from the beginning is the mix is too strong and will not[ even in separate batches] stay mixed or actually suspended in the solution.
If there is still stuff on the bottom then you are not offering what you think, and you have no clue what did not dissolve...
That makes drawing off the top of a concentration weak compared to bottom in my mind.
Shaking and mixing may help,but if ferts are suspended and not dissolved then you really are guessing without total control.

BehindEnemyLines

BehindEnemyLines

I think 🤔 the real issue is not doing the math but finding how much is truly soluble in X water.
My thought from the beginning is the mix is too strong and will not[ even in separate batches] stay mixed or actually suspended in the solution.
If there is still stuff on the bottom then you are not offering what you think, and you have no clue what did not dissolve...
That makes drawing off the top of a concentration weak compared to bottom in my mind.
Shaking and mixing may help,but if ferts are suspended and not dissolved then you really are guessing without total control.

From JACKS website:

1D298633 A1F9 4F51 AA2F AAFDE7B091CD

6A696EE9 7640 4C27 9E49 63BFCEE7A875

BehindEnemyLines

BehindEnemyLines

Right now, what I do is multiply everything by 3 and make up a 3-gallon batch and add that to my 12-gallon AutoPot reservoir.

However, I like the idea of making concentrated nutes. Mainly, I am interested in seeing the math equations of how to get there.

PART A:
F41D05B3 C0F0 49C8 A3C1 5BA8C5C32538

PART B:
1CA1D68D C640 4370 8999 52AC6F1E87F4

Anthem

Anthem

All three parts dissolve well. I can get the 100 gallon batch to mix into 4 gallons no problem. Although Jacks takes about 10 minutes to fully dissolve. I spoke to one of their techs about it and it is Calcium chloride that will set at the bottom. Referred to as Anshieser calcium or something.
Jacks at the 3.79, 2.52 and .99 works pretty well. No burning issues or looking weak from what I can tell. I have tried using more calcium but it looks like the yield suffered

ExNavyInSTL

ExNavyInSTL

The "Blue Crew" Have Spoken

I orginally posed this question to Jack's Blue Crew, but they never responded. Hence, why this thread was born.

I decided to try again yesterday and they wrote back this morning. Here is what they wrote:

Note: they used the new 3-2-1 numbers that BehindEnemyLines told us about.

--------------------------------

Your original email regarding the math for mixing up stock concentrates was forwarded to me, and I would be happy to walk you through the calculations we use to determine mixing rates! I will try to format the steps we use like your formatting to make it a little easier to read. Feel free to reach back out to me with any questions!

First, I calculated how concentrated your solution will need to be if you want to dose 12.5 mL at a time

The equation to determine how many mL of stock required per gallon of water is :

For example:

Grower is mixing a 500x concentrated stock solution of 15-0-0 Part B 100 ppm nitrogen (2.8 lb per gallon)

I reversed this equation to meet the 12.5 mL you wanted to use and determined your stock concentrates need to be about 300X stronger than our recommended mixing rates for final dilution.

Next, I calculated the grams per gallon mixing rates of each fertilizer to create a 300X solution:

The final dilution rates of each fertilizer in the 3-2-1 program are :
  • 5-12-26 @ 50 ppm N = 3.79 g/gallon
  • 15-0-0 @ 100 ppm N = 2.52 g/gallon
  • Epsom Salt @ 23 ppm Mg = 0.99 g/gallon

To create a 300X solution of each, multiply the g/gallon by 300 :

5-12-26

• 3.79 g/galloon X 300 = 1,137 g/gallon
15-0-0
  • 2.52 g/gallon X 300 = 756 g/gallon
Epsom salts
  • 0.99 g/gallon X 300 = 297 g/gallon

Getting to 1/2 gallon:

Finally, to determine the total grams of each fertilizer needed for a 1/2 gallon (1.9 L) container, divide results from the previous step by 2:

5-12-26
  • 1,137 g/gallon ÷ 2 = 568.5 g total
15-0-0
  • 756 g/gallon ÷ 2 = 378 g total
Epsom salts
  • 297 g/gallon ÷ 2 = 148.5 g total

I hope this helps! Thanks for choosing Jack’s and happy growing!

Last edited:
Anthem

Anthem

I never use stock mixes. It is not all that much of a time savings for me. I do minor tweaks to the formula after several conversations with others and the folks at Jacks. While the P&K ratios do increase during flower the requirements are nothing like what most manufacturers would like you to believe.
Depending on your light source and type you can run into deficiencies. This can also be strain dependent.

ExNavyInSTL

ExNavyInSTL

I'm with you, especially with my low needs (usually 3-gallon additions to my 12-gallon reservoir).

I'm not saying I won't try this once, but I was more interested in learning how to know how to make a concentrated mix. I searched for videos and the internet and I could never find an apples-to-apples example.

What did make me happy was learning that my numbers were almost spot on. I know several chemistry-lab assistants (from college) who would have been shocked.

I never use stock mixes. It is not all that much of a time savings for me. I do minor tweaks to the formula after several conversations with others and the folks at Jacks. While the P&K ratios do increase during flower the requirements are nothing like what most manufacturers would like you to believe.
Depending on your light source and type you can run into deficiencies. This can also be strain dependent.

Iamthedude

Iamthedude

Nice finding other people that actually use it. I had good luck with it this grow. First time i tried it so still dialing it in but it did turn out great no complaints

Iamthedude

Iamthedude

I got one of those mud mixers for mixing drywall mud that hooks up to my drill and that is a game changer when mixing it up

Iamthedude

Iamthedude

The "Blue Crew" Have Spoken

I orginally posed this question to Jack's Blue Crew, but they never responded. Hence, why this thread was born.

I decided to try again yesterday and they wrote back this morning. Here is what they wrote:

Note: they used the new 3-2-1 numbers that BehindEnemyLines told us about.

--------------------------------

Your original email regarding the math for mixing up stock concentrates was forwarded to me, and I would be happy to walk you through the calculations we use to determine mixing rates! I will try to format the steps we use like your formatting to make it a little easier to read. Feel free to reach back out to me with any questions!

First, I calculated how concentrated your solution will need to be if you want to dose 12.5 mL at a time

The equation to determine how many mL of stock required per gallon of water is :

View attachment 1284323

For example:

Grower is mixing a 500x concentrated stock solution of 15-0-0 Part B 100 ppm nitrogen (2.8 lb per gallon)

View attachment 1284324

I reversed this equation to meet the 12.5 mL you wanted to use and determined your stock concentrates need to be about 300X stronger than our recommended mixing rates for final dilution.

Next, I calculated the grams per gallon mixing rates of each fertilizer to create a 300X solution:

The final dilution rates of each fertilizer in the 3-2-1 program are :
  • 5-12-26 @ 50 ppm N = 3.79 g/gallon
  • 15-0-0 @ 100 ppm N = 2.52 g/gallon
  • Epsom Salt @ 23 ppm Mg = 0.99 g/gallon

To create a 300X solution of each, multiply the g/gallon by 300 :

5-12-26

• 3.79 g/galloon X 300 = 1,137 g/gallon
15-0-0
  • 2.52 g/gallon X 300 = 756 g/gallon
Epsom salts
  • 0.99 g/gallon X 300 = 297 g/gallon

Getting to 1/2 gallon:

Finally, to determine the total grams of each fertilizer needed for a 1/2 gallon (1.9 L) container, divide results from the previous step by 2:

5-12-26
  • 1,137 g/gallon ÷ 2 = 568.5 g total
15-0-0
  • 756 g/gallon ÷ 2 = 378 g total
Epsom salts
  • 297 g/gallon ÷ 2 = 148.5 g total

I hope this helps! Thanks for choosing Jack’s and happy growing!
I wish this made sense to me 🤣

ExNavyInSTL

ExNavyInSTL

I bought these two for mixing. The wide one, I use when I am making a gallon of something in a 6 liter bucket. And the then one when I am mixing directly in my 3-gallon water bottles. The work really well.

To keep things from getting to messy in the 6-liter bucket I ordered an extra lid and drilled a hole through and slip the mixer stem through the hole so that it is between the bucket and drill. Smart I know, however the smart idea didn't come to me until I realized I was on the fastest speed for my drill. Thankfully, Recharge washes out of clothes. 😎

Pro-Tip: On the skinny mixer for 3-gallon bucket. It has to be "lightly" nudged to go in the top hole. So, when pulling it out get your free hand on the blades and use that to pull out of the jug. Otherwise the Blade Head could slide of the stem to the drill. I had a close call and almost lost that blade head in the bottle.

I got one of those mud mixers for mixing drywall mud that hooks up to my drill and that is a game changer when mixing it up

Latest posts

Top Bottom