Help My Super Soil Sucks..

• Thread starter BackToBasics
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
BackToBasics

BackToBasics

I really want to continue to use super soil but am having a hard time... My leaves are yellowing with dying brown spots. It starts off lower down as light leaves with dark veins. I have : earthworm castings, dolomite lime, Pearlite, glacial rock dust, veg bat guano, kelp meal, alfalfa meal, crab meal, fish bone meal, langbenite all in a sphanghum peat moss mix. Please help as I don't want to go back to bottled nutes but they were working well.

RedEyeShaggy

RedEyeShaggy

well idk where your at in your grow but if its a nutrient deficiency you could just mix the necessary nute in to your water when your watering your plant

RedEyeShaggy

RedEyeShaggy

or it may be a long shot but you might have salt build up, makes it look like a deficiency but its really the soil, if nothing else works try flushing the soil with water for awhile and just let it drain out. I don't know exactly what your plants look like either but from what you posted those are the only things i could think of with a mix like that

Bulldog420

Bulldog420

Premium Member
Supporter
super soil blows, and is too hot. Cut your recipe in half.

nocollins2k

nocollins2k

Did you make this yourself or was did your puchase premade

I really want to continue to use super soil but am having a hard time... My leaves are yellowing with dying brown spots. It starts off lower down as light leaves with dark veins. I have : earthworm castings, dolomite lime, Pearlite, glacial rock dust, veg bat guano, kelp meal, alfalfa meal, crab meal, fish bone meal, langbenite all in a sphanghum peat moss mix. Please help as I don't want to go back to bottled nutes but they were working well.

leadsled

leadsled

GrowRU
How much did you add of each amendment?

If you want to out perform bottle nutrients. Then will need to get more scientific about the approach.
Your leaf issue you describe, Sounds like you got a Magnesium problem.
You added sul-po-mag and dolomite lime. Sometimes an excess of magnesium can cause a mg def in the leaves.

Usually a little bit of calcium will help to knock off excess cations and help get the soil going.

Try adding 2-300 ppm of gypsum to some water. Up to about 1tbsp per gallon and water the plants with it.
Soil test would help to get things dialed in. If you need any more help ask.

Happy growing.

BackToBasics

BackToBasics

I mixed it myself. 1-2 cups of each amendment all mixed together and then I did two cups of that mix per 7.5 gallon (1 cu ft) of soil. I've attached a photo of one of the plants in veg.

IMG 20170312 174847876
leadsled

leadsled

GrowRU
@BackToBasics
FYI, Looks like Mg issue. Probably from excess Mg but could also be an excess of other cations.
Can try a Foliar spray of epsom salts and then check if that rectifies the problem.

See how the lower eaves have those marks on them??
You got thrips. Recommend nemasys, hypoasis miles in the soil. Then can spray spinosad and then follow up with a essential oil blend to keep the thrips in check.

Next time you mix up some soil, get a test on the base mix and then add what is needed. Simple Soil tends to work better than super soil on many farms.

Hope that helps.

BackToBasics

BackToBasics

Thanks! I'll try some Epsom salts. Btw I sprayed with a habanero pepper spray hoping to Manage the thrips.

Homesteader

Homesteader

Looks like broad mite damage....?Need a better pic with better color.

Top Bottom