HELP! Noob. Opinions Please!

• Thread starter Billy Mahoney
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

Billy Mahoney

Hello! I'm new to THCfarmer and new to growing altogether. I had a small closet garden about 10 years ago with some buddies but we didn't do enough home work spent way to much money doing it and the yield from six plants was embarrassing!

I'm looking at putting together another closet garden and need some advise from seasoned growers. Both options I'm looking at are "Kits", I'm not smart enough to build my own and while I understand its cheaper to go DIY I'd prefer to go with a kit first until I get the hang of things. The two options have 2 different lights which is where I need the most advice. So here we go!

The first option is from Stealth Hydro:

http://www.stealthhydroponics.com/product.php?xProd=2&xSec=54

With the Spectrum II light upgrade.

The second option is from hyrdro2gro

With the 2' Hydrofarm high output T5 lighting systems

http://www.amazon.com/2-tube-Fluorescent-Output-Lights-Bulbs/dp/B0031CA3OM

Then switching to during bloom.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...mp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B003MCR6TG

My main questions are regarding the lighting... which is the better option for the best yields. I just spend a good bit of money on Nirvana-Shop on some nice feminized seeds and I really don't want to screw it up. I got AK-48 and Snow White!

the Stealth Hydro is a 8 gallon tub while the other is a 10 gallon (does that matter?)

And lastly does anyone have any suggestions on books for new school growing? I will post pics as soon as I get some

I look forward to learning from you all!

Regards,

Billy

medicalgrowman

medicalgrowman

Do it yourself!

There are alot of pre-made kits out there, but in most cases
you can build it yourself with comparable quality
for significantly less money.
There are plenty of tutorials available here, on YouTube and elsewhere. It's easy to build your own. Fun to do it and satisfying
knowing that you did it yourself and that you can tweek it to best suit your situation. If you want a simple and effective lighting solution, I recommend Ceramic Metal Halide. It has a wide color temp spectrum, that is suitable of both the veg and flower cycles.
It's mainly available in 250w & 400w. If you need more than that, you can always have more than one light.
For example 3x400w=1200w.
As with all lighting, make sure you have adequate ventilation. I recommend that you do ALOT of reading on this site and other places before you spend your hard-earned money.

B

Billy Mahoney

Thank you for the reply. I understand I can build one myself and I think that both of the systems are similiar but I really don't have the time to build one myself. Does the Gallons matter as much? I'm more concerned on which light to go with.... the Stealthydro Dual Spectrum II or the T5 then later switching to a 1000W HPS?

Or if anyone has any other options.

mastacheeser

mastacheeser

every looks great, i always love to see farmers planning ahead
personally im not a fan of t5's, anything they can do, ur 1000w will do alot better. unless your planning on doing some serious breeding, ditch that mofo
lastly, a couple bags of dirt will treat you alot better than those aero systems some crack head put together for a rock(this is coming from a aero farmer). if you do want to do something like that, make it yourself. you will know how to repalce everything on it(sparyers will need replaced), and its not really that difficult once you get in there

B

Billy Mahoney

More options!! Yikes

Oh boy more options!

Is going with soil a better option for a beginner? I was mainly looking for info in the lighting however if the aeroponic it bubbleponic is not good route I will stay away. Has anyone had success with a system like the ones I posted above?

I haven't done any research on going with the dirt/ soil route. I'm only looking at 6-8 plants.

I of course want the system withthe highest yields and ease of use for a novice. If anyone has direction I'm all ears! Thank you!!

H

Highdrophilia27

If this is your first attempt, I would suggest you start with soil. That way you get some experience first and get to know the plant better before trying out hydro. With hydro you are going to have to check the PH every day and top it off and change the rez water every 7-10 days. That's a lot of water and a lot of work. If you don't have time to build a simple hydro system how will you manage all that is required?

In soil you just mainly have to give it ph adjusted nutrient water every 3 or 4 days(usually until you're able to stick your finger in the dirt and it feels dry:evilgrin0040:)

mastacheeser

mastacheeser

unless you got some serious stacks to blow figureing out aero, stick with soil. it will keep your start up costs down, and is alot more forgiving than aero. no need for r/o, nutrient costs are lower, no need for chillers or heaters, no rez to buy, no tubing to set up, i could go on for days
keep aero around as a goal
dreaming of a current culture uc set up right now

hiboy

hiboy

unless you got some serious stacks to blow figureing out aero, stick with soil. it will keep your start up costs down, and is alot more forgiving than aero. no need for r/o, nutrient costs are lower, no need for chillers or heaters, no rez to buy, no tubing to set up, i could go on for days
keep aero around as a goal
dreaming of a current culture uc set up right now

Your so right on with the savings masta, didnt really think about all the stuff that adds up with hydro and things you dont need when your in soil.
hiboy

Billy, bigger tubs means bigger roots, plants

B

Billy Mahoney

I can try soils and hydro at the same time maybe? learn em both haha. or I do soil and the wife can do the hydro, she already does hydro for her chives and shit.

Now where to find info on soil and soil bucket sizes and soil nutrients hahaha. sigh.

Any suggesionts?

mastacheeser

mastacheeser

general hyrdoponic 3 part is what ive seen alot of people loving. seen some great results with people using this and only this

bucket sizes from 2 to 5 gallons, depending on what kinda trees your trying to grow

and which washington are you in? state of washington has hydro store for sure. great place to start

this site has pretty much everything you need. hightimes has ok stuff. cannabisculture is pretty good. head over to rollitup once youve read all the stickys and fat mans nutrient guide. i think fat mans guide is on rollitup anyway. google and wikipedia have done good things for me too

medicalgrowman

medicalgrowman

Soil is a good way to learn the basics and some experienced
farmers choose to stay with soil. So there's nothing wrong with it.
For me, I'm currently growing 3 plants in soil, but for my next grow, I will be growing 1 plant scrog style in a top-drip/dwc bucket for better yields in less time than soil.
For a beginner with soil, Fox Farms soil & nutes
is getting good results for me. But now that I'm confident
with the basics, I'm ready to step-up to the next level.

H

Highdrophilia27

Soil is a good way to learn the basics and some experienced
farmers choose to stay with soil. So there's nothing wrong with it.
For me, I'm currently growing 3 plants in soil, but for my next grow, I will be growing 1 plant scrog style in a top-drip/dwc bucket for better yields in less time than soil.
For a beginner with soil, Fox Farms soil & nutes
is getting good results for me. But now that I'm confident
with the basics, I'm ready to step-up to the next level.

I did my first soil grow with Foxfarm nutrients. Just make sure you follow their guides closely and start of with half strength.

This is a really good guide. It is what I used when I first started.
http://forum.grasscity.com/absolute-beginners/382585-beginners-guide-get-you-started-growing-cannabis.html

Papa

Papa

Supporter
Billy Mahoney, is this further planning for your 2' x 5' closet?

it kinda affects the answers.

Papa

Top Bottom