HELP, PH keeps going threw the roof

• Thread starter Burntup
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Pop some vitamin C in there. Keep phing it down every 20 min until it stabilizes. As it mixes the ph will drift back up. Keep track of how much ph down you are using.

Burntup

Burntup

I got some vitamin c pills but surely I can’t crush them up and use them?

Burntup

Burntup

I have ph down, And I use lemon juice and baking soda All the time back in the day

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Ok do you know how many litres you have total? Add 2.5mg of vitamin C per liter.

Then ph down every 20 min until it's stable

Burntup

Burntup

So I dropped the res to 5.7 no air just water pump, added the VC now waiting for results

Burntup

Burntup

My system is holding about 12-15 gallon right now. Started at 5.7 put in VC
20min later it was 5.9 I put 1-1/2mm down in it put it back to 5.7.
20min later 6.3 put in 3mm down to 5.8
20min later later 6.3 put 5mm to 5.4
Now it’s late going to bed off to bed. I’m sure I’ll wake up to 7.5 fingers crossed for 5.anything

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

I got a 3 bucket setup in a 4x4 tent RDWC with 13 gallon baskets and a 13 gallon Rez air stones in each site and air pad in Rez (Current Culture parts) I’m running a M16 LED from truth lighting plants are 1 month in veg Iv flushed 3 times chasing this issue, I use my kitchen sink ro system ppm is around 10-20 and ph 8-9 I use general hydroponic flora 3 part with calmag I let the water run with Nutes in it overnight then ph down little at a time to 5.5 let run for lots of hours to make sure it’s stays at 5.5 then put plants in and ph goes up FAST will be 7 and above without a hour or 2 I just ordered canna aqua line since there ph balanced hoping this helps but I read all over that general hydroponic Nutes work, and advice or links or or anything would be a life saver just can’t think of anything,water temp is 73-75 in day and 70-73 at night . Only thing I can think of is the hydroton but really can’t do anything about it now that I’m aware of

I forgot to add that I’m getting a bubble foam kinda build up over time only after I put the plants back in, I have no ideal what’s going on with this
So assuming your roots are healthy, your hydroton is new if I'm correct and you didn't rinse it? I wonder if that could be the factor why your pH is rising so quickly?

Screenshot 20190809 024920 Chrome
Screenshot 20190809 024856 Chrome

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

So assuming your roots are healthy, your hydroton is new if I'm correct and you didn't rinse it? I wonder if that could be the factor why your pH is rising so quickly?

View attachment 886860View attachment 886861
We did a ph test on them. I just looked up that ph down... It's citric acid.... No good it breaks down fast. Ok for soil nutes but no good for hydro. @Burntup that is your problem I'm 99% sure. Go buy ph down that is made of phosphoric acid.

Sorry I should have looked it up sooner

Burntup

Burntup

7.4 this morning. Aqua man it says soil and hydro, you think it’s so crappy it can’t hold ph for even 30min to 1hr? I’ll run out today and grab some GH PH down since it’s phosphoric acid hope this solves issue, hey since you seem to be a expert do you know anything about Canna Aqua Nutes ? I read for weeks and it’s the one I picked over advance nutrients for a upgrade over GH, I really didn’t want to switch Nutes but with all this ph madness I started looking at ph balance Nutes

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

7.4 this morning. Aqua man it says soil and hydro, you think it’s so crappy it can’t hold ph for even 30min to 1hr? I’ll run out today and grab some GH PH down since it’s phosphoric acid hope this solves issue, hey since you seem to be a expert do you know anything about Canna Aqua Nutes ? I read for weeks and it’s the one I picked over advance nutrients for a upgrade over GH, I really didn’t want to switch Nutes but with all this ph madness I started looking at ph balance Nutes
I'm no expert my knowledge of ph comes from aquariums over the past 25ish years. I used to breed and sell fish and aquatic plants.

I have heard not so good stories about ph perfect... Never used it but some have good success with it. It's basically a very beginner nute line and I personally would stay away from it.

Sec I was talking about AN ph perfect. I'll look em up. I use a dry fert and always have. I used to mix my own in aquatics but not as worth it to me in hydro since I don't need to be as accurate

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

They have a lot of nutes which ones were you thinking? I would stay away from anything that claims to balance ph for you. I think it's important to have control over this. Otherwise you are giving up a tool in my view.

Burntup

Burntup

I ordered canna aqua line of Nutes already so hoping it was a good purchase, I’m so invested in all this stuff I can’t afford much more. I need to sell some stuff

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I ordered canna aqua line of Nutes already so hoping it was a good purchase, I’m so invested in all this stuff I can’t afford much more. I need to sell some stuff
Yeah it adds up fast. I use mega crop, cal-mag (only a bit but going back to making my own after this bottle), mg sulfate and monopotassium phosphate in flower.

It's dirt cheap.

Lots of people have good success with GH 3 part. It's not your nutes that's the issue. I'm certain its the citric acid. It's amazing how one little thing can just make your experience miserable. Especially when you think you have all the right stuff and you did. IMO citric acid should not be marketed for hydro. If you were in pure RO it would last longer but still not ideal. It's not a very strong acid when compared to sulfuric or phosphoric acid even nitric acid is much better

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I use tap water about 120ppm and no issues phing with phosphoric acid.

When you get the phosphoric acid you will want to completely change the system and start from scratch..... I know again. But on the bright side this should be the last time you have to this trying to stabilize your ph.

Since your mixing tap and RO only use half dose of calmag and you could probably try without it but for the sake of not creating more issues to drive you nuts I would suggest half.

After phing your system leave it for a couple hrs and then re-adjust the ph and you should be good.

Top Bottom