Help.. Please. Overdried? Curing? Nooby grower.

• Thread starter Growdaddylvl1
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Growdaddylvl1

Growdaddylvl1

So I've just hung dried whole light depped plants.. The Kosher Kush has been hang drying 9 days. The humidity during this time has varied from 20% to 50% (stupid fire weather) I know this seems like a long time for that humidity level but the bud was still moist.. This strain went from what felt like too wet (staying compressed when squeezed) to smelling like hay and feeling like a dry sponge, in the matter of a couple of hours.... I am a novice grower. 1st year. I've been told taking them down and cutting the plant down and placing in a bin with Boveda packs, before the bud has dried, is the ideal way for how we operate.. (you can always dry bud more, but not less..)
So I'm worried that my terpenes have evaporated and I'm going to end up with Larfy, overdried, hay smelling light dep....

So my question is if some of the buds in the bin are still a tad moist and I cure for a while. Will this bud gain back some of its smell and weight?? Did I overdry or am I just a nervous first year??? The buds are not so dry that they crumble but to me seem almost weightless and the smell is gone.. Or did I just fuck up so bad, i might lose my job?
I love growing but I feel like I'm fucking up.
Thankyou to anyone with helpful insight.

BudBogart

BudBogart

9 days is a long time in low humidity.
By placing buds in an airtight environment such as mason jars will allow remaining moisture in the stem and inner part of buds to migrate giving the buds a more even dryness throughout the buds (curing).
Placing a small inexpensive hygrometer in the closed mason jar will answer your questions on if they are too dry after they have had a chance to cure.
In the jar humidity of 62% I consider ideal.

Hanta

Hanta

How will you lose your job first of all lol? And yeah put them in jars and buy a 5 pack of hygrometers off amazon. 62% is ideal storage as Bogart said. 59% is ideal smoking %. Also boveda packs suck out the terpenes dont use them ever. If you need to add moisture use the clay hydrostones, get them 10000%, cheap and last forever basically. usually when the big stems dont snap but small thin stems start snapping is one indicator for properly dried. Pull back on a small leaf on a bottom of a bud and it should just snap off after a bit of bending not snap right away. Couple tips i hope help. But as youre getting closer to drying put a few buds to mostly fill a small jar with a hygrometer and pull them when theyre at around 62%

Growdaddylvl1

Growdaddylvl1

You guys rock, thankyou... now when I'm burping should I burp the stuff that I feel is too dry or let it set longer without burping?

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

You guys rock, thankyou... now when I'm burping should I burp the stuff that I feel is too dry or let it set longer without burping?
Congratulations on your first harvest! As suggested above put a hygrometer in a sealed jar of Bud for 5 or 6 hours and establish your actual RH so you'll know how to proceed

smokedareefer

smokedareefer

"that I feel is too dry"

To me too dry is anything below 58%

I like it in the 60 to 62% area to cure and store.

Top Bottom