HELP! Powdery mildew? Spider Mites?

• Thread starter Vevenda
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
V

Vevenda

Hi. 1st grow in 20 years. 2 weeks in veg and I have a whole host of issues. Each girl is a little special this grow. Any idea what might be on this leaf? Temp between 76-82, humidity between 25-45%, 18/6 schedule.
Help powdery mildew spider mites
Help powdery mildew spider mites 2

Ponky

Ponky

Yeah. You have all the problems. You got tent? Whats going on in that setup? The "---------- looks all ------- and ---------"

Homesteader

Homesteader

If you look on the side of the leaf in both pictures, it looks to be an aphid casing or exoskeleton....so I think you have aphids but you may want to explore it more. I cannot see too well in the picture. They leave their extoskeltons around as decoys for parasitic wasps. The wasps attack the casing and not the actual aphid.

You still may have spider mites but the treatment for both is about the same, although aphids are a bit better at hiding. How big of a plant?

V

Vevenda

I finally got a pic of the spider mite. I showed another pic to someone at a grow store and he was convinced I also have powder mildew. Weee

IMG 9239
20220420 142756
20220420 142047
V

Vevenda

If you look on the side of the leaf in both pictures, it looks to be an aphid casing or exoskeleton....so I think you have aphids but you may want to explore it more. I cannot see too well in the picture. They leave their extoskeltons around as decoys for parasitic wasps. The wasps attack the casing and not the actual aphid.

You still may have spider mites but the treatment for both is about the same, although aphids are a bit better at hiding. How big of a plant?
I finally got a pic of the spider mite. I showed another pic to someone at a grow store and he was convinced I also have powder mildew. Weee

20220420 142047
20220420 142756
IMG 9239
Homesteader

Homesteader

So you definitely have spider mites....Looks like PM as well and a few aphid casings......Plant is hurting to be honest but not down and out yet. Plant nutrition will help fight all those back. I don't know your situation and whether you want to just start over with this plant. If you want to keep it, i would defoliate any of the larger fan leaves that have mites for starters as well as pm. Leave the growing sites alone even if they have mites (you can get them later).... The purple stem is an indication to me that your pH is off but Ill wait to hear more

Kampbe1l

Kampbe1l

you can treat the plants, and the plants can recover, it may take some time.

i use white oil spray application, then use isopropyl-alcohol-water mix (1:10 ratio) spray a couple of days afterwards. they can be hard to eradicate.

also, clean your grow area. restrict movements between grow areas or sites, etc.

V

Vevenda

So you definitely have spider mites....Looks like PM as well and a few aphid casings......Plant is hurting to be honest but not down and out yet. Plant nutrition will help fight all those back. I don't know your situation and whether you want to just start over with this plant. If you want to keep it, i would defoliate any of the larger fan leaves that have mites for starters as well as pm. Leave the growing sites alone even if they have mites (you can get them later).... The purple stem is an indication to me that your pH is off but Ill wait to hear more
Since this is my 1st grow in 20 year I am going to use this as an educational grow; even though it might be a bit painful. I only have 1 4x4 space set up to grow that currently has 4 plants. I chatted with someone in the area that bought clones from the same facility and they too ended up with powder mildew. The 2 wedding cake had purple stems when I bought them. The ph of the soil has tested a little under 7.

I will defoliate the bigger effected fan leaves today.

Ponky

Ponky

In my opinion weakness to PM is genetic. And I don't finish plants with that affliction.

V

Vevenda

In my opinion weakness to PM is genetic. And I don't finish plants with that affliction.
It can also be passed down from a mother plant if my understanding is correct. This will be a good lesson for how to deal with it when it occurs.

Itman

Itman

spider mites are the most destructive pest and I have changed out whole areas when identified as they are impossible to eliminate

Top Bottom