help running dimmable digi ballast at different wattages

• Thread starter Venom818
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Venom818

Venom818

Was wondering if anybody runs there dimmible digi ballast at different wattage's.

maybe i read wrong but my quantum ballast says if u run a 750w u need a 750 w bulb ive been running my 1k at 750 should i not

Rushoe

Rushoe

BUMP!!!!!!!!!!Come on ppl lets get this answered what are the big dawgs doing?????I thought the whole reason for it being dimmible was to able to do this..

R

rickisonline

Been shopping ballasts lately and had the same question. Everyone I've asked said you can switch a 1K bulb down to a 400 etc without a problem, but only after bulb is "conditioned", ran for awhile. As well, was told that the wattage draw will drop too, so the savings is there. I'm still skeptical about this dimmable approach though. Then again, it took me for forever to switch to digi.

dankworth

dankworth

Northone claims that a 1k dimmed to 50% is delivering greater performance than a 600w lamp/ballast. Everything Northone says is worth paying attention to. The length of the arc tube has a bearing on this I think. I don't remember the exact math, but the longer the arc tube radiating light, the more like a line source than a point source. Line sources of light fall off more slowly than point sources.
If you dim a color-corrected hps (I can speak for hortilux and digilux lamps) from the maximum setting, you get less blue. The more you dim it, the less blue you get. But I like a 1k dimmed to 600 in a lumatek way more than running a 600w lamp in the dimmed 1k's place.
I can run my digilux lamps at any setting on my dimmable lumatek 1k ballasts. I get them from plh for just over 60 apiece with shipping. Better than paying store prices.
Besides all the reflectors are built to center a 1k lamp. Trying to fit a shorter lamp causes an uneven light footprint.
I get better weight with the digilux than the hortilux. But by far the most epic medicine ever was right smack dab under that expensive hortilux daylight metal halide. It was like nothing else, and I have not been able to duplicate the results with any other lighting combination. Too bad they have 80k lumens and a bad lifespan and cost 170. But the terpenes and flavors from that lamp gave me the best bowls ever in 23 years of smoking.

Rushoe

Rushoe

We need OG only and HIBOY to chime in I think they run the ballast like that where u guys at????

I

ibTheMan

You can dim the bulbs, but the right way(without changen spectrum) is to use a 1000w bulb on a 1000, and a 600w bulb on 600 and so on.

2DogWalker

I run my bulbs dimmed at times in my 1k dimmables and my 600W dimmables just to manage heat at times..... IB has a point in changin spectrum, and I mean your still wearing the hours off your bulb even though it isn't being used to its full potential.

I haven't had any issues with the bulbs going out or not being able to fire whatsoever, and im running less than top of the line equipment.....FWIW....

Respect
2DW

Venom818

Venom818

one part of the pamphlet says u can dim the bulb the other says only dim it if u have the same wattage ur dimming to

budfriend

budfriend

I have been wondering this too. Would a 1k dimmed to 750 barebulb equal a 1k in a reflector in glass. If you this would be amazing as i could run 12 at 750 barebulb instead of 9 1k. That is three more lights of dank.

dankworth

dankworth

I went and dialed my digilux 1k hps lamps down to 750w on lumatek ballasts. All of them. Just for you.
Just kidding. I did it for me, but I figured I should say something.
I worked at a grow store for like three weekends. This one dude talked about his high plant count vscrog. "Really" I said. "What was your light source?" He said it was three 750s, so I laughed out loud at him. I didn't mean to, but he totally set himself up for that one.
No one runs 750s, except Reeferman in a thread years ago who got them for free.
If I asked about 750s at the store I shop at I am pretty sure they would look at me like I was stupid and pour pig blood on me like in Carrie.

MakinGoo

MakinGoo

I've had my Galexy dimmed to 600 watts for over a month & it works great & it's a Lil cheaper off my bill I noticed.. On my galaxy it says I can dimm my 1000 watt Bulb down to 600 or 400 or I can put a 600 or 400 watt bulb in & run it at 6 or 4.. Ether way will work on my ballest..

Venom818

Venom818

I went and dialed my digilux 1k hps lamps down to 750w on lumatek ballasts. All of them. Just for you.
Just kidding. I did it for me, but I figured I should say something.
I worked at a grow store for like three weekends. This one dude talked about his high plant count vscrog. "Really" I said. "What was your light source?" He said it was three 750s, so I laughed out loud at him. I didn't mean to, but he totally set himself up for that one.
No one runs 750s, except Reeferman in a thread years ago who got them for free.
If I asked about 750s at the store I shop at I am pretty sure they would look at me like I was stupid and pour pig blood on me like in Carrie.

I run 500 watt to harden them off then veg under 750 and flower under 1k

thnx to all the guys who posted

dankworth

dankworth

Yeah keeping the same footprint and dialing up the intensity instead of having to adjust lamp height is way more fun. I actually turned my lamps to 750 because they will be flowering soon, perfect setting for that stage huh Venom.
BTW did I mention that digilux 1ks can be had for just over 60.00 a pop from plantlightinghydroponics after shipping? I can't find them any cheaper anywhere else, but I heard that the stores get them for 45.00 a pop if you can find a hookup. IMO best lamp for the money. Good spectrum, 155,000 lumens, more weight produced than a 1k horti.
Hey what reflector do you use again Venom? And don't you do tents?

Top Bottom