Help: Spots/brittle fan leaves

• Thread starter zootallures9777
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
zootallures9777

zootallures9777

Hi there. First time grower here. I have a Blueberry Muffin clone that I planted in my garden bed ~3 weeks ago. It has been progressing nicely. Today, I noticed the lower fan leaves have red markings and feel brittle. Did some research but thought I'd reach out to this group for insights. I'm watering 15 mins 2x's/week on a 1 gph drip emitter. Plant gets 8+ hrs/day of full sun. We did just have a blast of cold'ish weather late last week, but this is NorCal so it isn't *that* cold. Any help would be appreciated.

Help spotsbrittle fan leaves
One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
Did you do a pH test on the ground before you planted ?

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
I didn't see the telltale tiny spots on the leaves, but they almost look like a mite infestation. It usually starts with very tiny red specks that slowly turn yellow... then start to merge and turns necrotic. Look for the tiny spots, which is actualy where the bugs fed off of the plant. They are tiny and often need magnification to see them, but they can cause a ton of destruction.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Agree, that soil is not right... Plants look deficient. For whatever reason.

Spiman2u

Spiman2u

Yep nutrients. Butt pull a leaf/ Also get a jeweler loop /pests/trichomes/diamonds... Its nasty to see those fkrs walk .pests are no fun...hehe Keep asking & everybody will tell you good answers around here.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
“hot”, as in ph too low or too high?
Hot generally refers to too many nutrients ithe soil, which can cause issues like nutrient lockout... the inability of the plant to use the available nutrients due to other issues, like high or low Ph, or other nutrients that sort of compete for the same needs.

zootallures9777

zootallures9777

Hot generally refers to too many nutrients ithe soil, which can cause issues like nutrient lockout... the inability of the plant to use the available nutrients due to other issues, like high or low Ph, or other nutrients that sort of compete for the same needs.

Gotcha. I do have a soil ph test kit. Obviously a little late to the game but I’ll go test it now. FWIW, I have 2 other plants in containers - not in the garden bed - and they do not exhibit this issue. Part of my experiment for this first year.

zootallures9777

zootallures9777

Gotcha. I do have a soil ph test kit. Obviously a little late to the game but I’ll go test it now. FWIW, I have 2 other plants in containers - not in the garden bed - and they do not exhibit this issue. Part of my experiment for this first year.

OK did the soil test. I'm definitely on the alkaline side of 7 but doesn't appear to be insanely high. Still, will go to the nursery and ask for advice on how to lower it. Seems there are many ways to lower pH. Which ways do experienced growers prefer to lower pH with a plant already in the ground?

Spiman2u

Spiman2u

First a flush. Nut lookout a real thing. Good keeping 2 mediums going for experiments. a tip- keep water in containers to get rid of chlorine for 24hrs plus. That water store works if you have $$$. I do that on final flush for harvest. I have only fert mine twice with some tea.. My medium was well\exceptional get that jewels loop..helps us in diagnostics . If your soil/medium was good-no need for nuts for awhile.

20200606 202305
zootallures9777

zootallures9777

First a flush. Nut lookout a real thing. Good keeping 2 mediums going for experiments. a tip- keep water in containers to get rid of chlorine for 24hrs plus. That water store works if you have $$$. I do that on final flush for harvest. I have only fert mine twice with some tea.. My medium was well\exceptional get that jewels loop..helps us in diagnostics . If your soil/medium was good-no need for nuts for awhile.

Thanks for the tips. This year was all about experimentation. And at this point, growing from seed (sex'd by a lab in OR so I'm all set) in containers with 100% fresh organic potting soil is looking more solid than growing a clone in my garden box. I trust the genetics of the clone I bought, but I do recall it experiencing a little stress before I planted it. Wondering if that, too, is contributing at some level. In any case, I'm going to continue to monitor pH in the garden box as it is indeed higher than the containers with the fresh soil (garden box 7.3 vs containers 7.0). Just pulled my water report from the utility. Our reservoir tested at 8.49 (testing data as of just yesterday in fact).

Last edited:
Dr.B

Dr.B

Maybe look into a sulphur additive to lower the pH? Don't go with the aluminum options, cannabis has a low tolerance for aluminum.

Do your due diligence and research before trying anything!!

Dr.B

Dr.B

Sulphur might also help with any bugs present as well. Again not 100% I grow in acidic media, indoors lol.

Someone should be along with better info soon.

zootallures9777

zootallures9777

Sulphur might also help with any bugs present as well. Again not 100% I grow in acidic media, indoors lol.

Someone should be along with better info soon.

I actually have some sulphur, will do research.

Dr.B

Dr.B

I actually have some sulphur, will do research.
We used sulphur boilers in the big grow rooms for pest purposes. I know cannabis tolerates it much much better than humans. One of the IPC guys I knew dumped a sulphur boiler in his face and eyes moving it carelessly. Gloves and glasses! 😬😉

Top Bottom