Help.. Swollen calyxes 3 wks into flower?..

• Thread starter Ollieboy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Ollieboy

Ollieboy

So I’m on my 2nd grow indoors & have an Alf that is showing swollen calyxes 3wks in.

Should I be concerned? Am I over thinking it 🤞🏻? Possibly a hermie? Looked her over really good & don’t see any naners but they just seem overly swollen compared to my other plant (different strain) & figured this would be the best place to seek some advice.

Help swollen calyxes 3 wks into flower
Help swollen calyxes 3 wks into flower 2

euphoria526

euphoria526

You can’t really compare different strains. It could be genetic and don’t have anything to worry about. Some buds from from just swollen calyxes, or at least look they way

Backyard_Boogie

Backyard_Boogie

Very simple my friend. You reach out and pinch one of those single swollen calyx. If it feels hard as a rock then its a seed developing inside, if it squishes flat and is hollow then you have nothing to worry about.

Pushrod Monkey

Pushrod Monkey

Usually pistils start turning brown once a flower is pollinated. Not all but some will. Seeing that early can be a sign.

Ollieboy

Ollieboy

You can’t really compare different strains. It could be genetic and don’t have anything to worry about. Some buds from from just swollen calyxes, or at least look they way

Thanks euphoria. This was my hope but being a new I was unsure & google as usual turned up many different opinions. Appreciate the reply 👍

Ollieboy

Ollieboy

Very simple my friend. You reach out and pinch one of those single swollen calyx. If it feels hard as a rock then its a seed developing inside, if it squishes flat and is hollow then you have nothing to worry about.

Thanks Boogie! I actually cut some undergrowth & from what I seen it looked like no seed forming on the inside. Very soft & squishy as you stated. Thanks for the advice & appreciate the reply 👍

Ollieboy

Ollieboy

Usually pistils start turning brown once a flower is pollinated. Not all but some will. Seeing that early can be a sign.

I did notice one of the pistils had started turning brown but I’m fairly sure that was bumped with the watering can during a previous watering. I’ll keep an eye on the others but overall the majority are pearly white right now. Thanks for the reply Pushrod, appreciate it 👍

stickyfingers1

stickyfingers1

Perhaps its a bit "early" for that. One strain I did was producing trichomes evident on the newly forming leaves, a couple weeks before the plants were starting to physically show signs flowering. It could simply be a genetic trait. Some strains produce gobs and gobs of resin. While others don't quite compare. I like making hash. The more resin the happier grower I am 🙃

Last edited:
Hey_water_boy

Hey_water_boy

No ones gonna tell this dude that he’s taking pictures of bracts & thinking that it’s his calyx’s that have swelled? Shame.

Ollieboy

Ollieboy

Perhaps its a bit "early" for that. One strain I did was producing trichomes evident on the newly forming leaves, a couple weeks before the plants were starting to physically show signs flowering. It could simply be a genetic trait. Some strains produce gobs and gobs of resin. While others don't quite compare. I like making hash. The more resin the happier grower I am 🙃

Thanks sticky. She’s definitely being watched carefully 🙃

Ollieboy

Ollieboy

No ones gonna tell this dude that he’s taking pictures of bracts & thinking that it’s his calyx’s that have swelled? Shame.

Appreciate ya telling this dude water boy. Openly admit I’m new to the game. Reading & learning everyday.

So iyo is this cause for concern?

euphoria526

euphoria526

Thanks euphoria. This was my hope but being a new I was unsure & google as usual turned up many different opinions. Appreciate the reply 👍
No problem. As another sign of it being genetics, I have 2 plants of the same strain that ended up looking, smelling, and tasting a little different than each other. The variations for this could be any number of reasons, but one plant was covered in crystals and resin, the pistols turned quickly to orange but still needed 65-70 days to finish, while the other one was a lush dark green with barely any trichromes and had white pistols till I chopped her down. Genetics IMO play a HUGE part, unless your stressing out the plants like crazy causing them to seed.

Ollieboy

Ollieboy

No problem. As another sign of it being genetics, I have 2 plants of the same strain that ended up looking, smelling, and tasting a little different than each other. The variations for this could be any number of reasons, but one plant was covered in crystals and resin, the pistols turned quickly to orange but still needed 65-70 days to finish, while the other one was a lush dark green with barely any trichromes and had white pistols till I chopped her down. Genetics IMO play a HUGE part, unless your stressing out the plants like crazy causing them to seed.

Appreciate the knowledge!

As far as stressing them. I had some issues after the last transplant but things seemed to clear up before I made the switch to flower. I’m definitely not immune to mistakes but have done a better job this run of being a bit more hands off & learning from my previous inexperience.

The plant in question is on the right & the excess water is removed from tent when it’s done dripping from the pots.
7ABFA7C0 878C 4117 8B10 C884345025AA
279AADBE 4F4A 4D7B 9B0E C4A810E2A296
E7B3AD02 1472 4202 8D91 CF9F2829EF92

Ollieboy

Ollieboy

what strain

Alf is the one I’ve questioned which was topped & on the right in picture of both. Alien cake is the other.

Both are from seeds I got from a buddy so not sure on genetics. I’ve got some HSC seeds coming for next batch after outdoor season is over. Looking forward to trying some known genetics instead of the bag seeds I’ve used so far.

Top Bottom