Help with lights 1st indoor grow journal

• Thread starter Newbgrower1
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Newbgrower1

Newbgrower1

So I got my lux reader today and took 9 readings. 3 dead center of 1 light at 100%. 12 24 and 32”. 3 readings 6” off center at the same heights. And 3 12” off center. This is what I came up with.

Center at 12”=32900 lux
24”=14970
32”=10520

6” off center 12”=22900
24”=13380
32”=8660

12” off center 12”=14930
24”=8440
32”=7630

Now that I have that I’m not to sure what to do next. I multiplied by .015 but that seams low. I also tried a few different calculators online but I’m not sure what spectrum my light is.I know it’s full spectrum. Just not sure. I think it’s the bottom but not 100% sure.
F7444341 B196 4068 950E ED0A8AE675E5

Newbgrower1

Newbgrower1

And I’ll be doing the same test tomorrow with both lights on. I received my soil today and my heat/humidity controller. Ran a few tests and got that all hooked up. and I ordered new plastic for my door. Should have it by Friday. I’ll post some more pics then. Thanks for checking it out and for any advice.

J.dub

J.dub

So, what you'll do is multiply those by .015. That gives you your umol/m2/s. For example, at 24" on center, you have 224.55 umol/m2/s. Now, depending on your light cycle (24, 18, 12) hours, you'll plug that in to get your DLI, which at 18 hours would be about 14.3umol/m2/d. And definitely get a trellis and do some training to do more than one plant.

Last edited:
Crabgrassfarms

Crabgrassfarms

I was going to start out with something basic and simple like your lights would be great for two plants or a 4x3 space if you have a minimum of 200w led which I think you exceed. Aw but you are past that. I read most of this thread but did see where you mentioned whether you are growing photos or autos, that can play a part in lighting and training. I have kept my lights at around 11" since seedlings on an 18/6 cycle and am not changing it. My exhaust fan for 24/7 as well one in the tent on that schedule as well. I am keeping my rh between 55% and 64% which is okay with me for now, as my buds start to stack and thicken I will lower the humidity, also I keep the tent in the upper 70s. I don't know if this helps any but I wish you nothing less than beautiful plants and thick hi-test buds.

delps8

delps8

So, what you'll do is multiply those by .015. That gives you your umol/m2/s. For example, at 24" on center, you have 224.55 umol/m2/s. Now, depending on your light cycle (24, 18, 12) hours, you'll plug that in to get your DLI, which at 18 hours would be about 14.3umol/m2/d. And definitely get a trellis and do some training to do more than one plant.
Looks good!

Two numbers that I use - the hourly constant is 0.036. PPFD * 0.036 * hours = DLI

Also, 100µmols for 20 hours is 7.2 mols so if you're reading, say, 600 µmols, that's a DLI of about 43. 650 µmols is 600 *7.2 and then add 3.6, etc. etc.

"trellis" - I didn't use a trellis on my last grow "Nah, I don't need to put in a trellis; it'll be OK". Ha! Everything was flopping all over the place. Lesson learned.

Newbgrower1

Newbgrower1

Ok those are the same numbers I got.
I was going to start out with something basic and simple like your lights would be great for two plants or a 4x3 space if you have a minimum of 200w led which I think you exceed. Aw but you are past that. I read most of this thread but did see where you mentioned whether you are growing photos or autos, that can play a part in lighting and training. I have kept my lights at around 11" since seedlings on an 18/6 cycle and am not changing it. My exhaust fan for 24/7 as well one in the tent on that schedule as well. I am keeping my rh between 55% and 64% which is okay with me for now, as my buds start to stack and thicken I will lower the humidity, also I keep the tent in the upper 70s. I don't know if this helps any but I wish you nothing less than beautiful plants and thick hi-test buds.
Thanks for the good vibes lol. And every bit of info helps. Much appreciated. I’m going to start with photos. Probably save my autos for spring.

Newbgrower1

Newbgrower1

Looks good!

Two numbers that I use - the hourly constant is 0.036. PPFD * 0.036 * hours = DLI

Also, 100µmols for 20 hours is 7.2 mols so if you're reading, say, 600 µmols, that's a DLI of about 43. 650 µmols is 600 *7.2 and then add 3.6, etc. etc.

"trellis" - I didn't use a trellis on my last grow "Nah, I don't need to put in a trellis; it'll be OK". Ha! Everything was flopping all over the place. Lesson learned.
Thanks again. Lovin all this info. I learned a ton in the past 2 days. I have a net. I might have to move my hooks when the time comes but I’ll figure that out later.

Newbgrower1

Newbgrower1

So I tested my lights today to figure out my max dli and I figure at 630 ppfd for 12 hrs I’m getting 27.22. I was hoping to be closer to 35 but I can live with that I think.sry for my hand writing. And I also tested my sf1000 the same way I did the Amazon light yesterday and while the sf beat the Amazon one at 12” centered. The Amazon beat it in every other spot by 2000+ lux.
Csf = center of sf1000, cam= center of Amazon light , cb = in between both lights.
E34AA6D0 5CA0 4ED4 8E69 EA48A25E8180

I also found this dli chart that will be useful if u guys think it’s accurate.
24B5DB7B 07B6 4898 9CE6 CB89B72CAA48

6125F4AE DF09 4ABC BAAD 3BE1C508FDDF
Newbgrower1

Newbgrower1

I’m thinking of moving my lights closer together to see if that will help or hurt. I have about 4 1/2” of space between them. Anyone know if this will help before I start ripping shit apart.

delps8

delps8

I’m thinking of moving my lights closer together to see if that will help or hurt. I have about 4 1/2” of space between them. Anyone know if this will help before I start ripping shit apart.
If you move them together, you won't have as much light drop of as you have now. Look at the PAR map on the SF site and you'll see that there a big difference between the value in the center and the values on the periphery. If you move the light closer together , the light cast will merge and you'll have more light over the center of your plant.

Newbgrower1

Newbgrower1

If you move them together, you won't have as much light drop of as you have now. Look at the PAR map on the SF site and you'll see that there a big difference between the value in the center and the values on the periphery. If you move the light closer together , the light cast will merge and you'll have more light over the center of your plant.
Nice. That was my first thought but, then I kept thinking lol. figured I would ask. Maybe one day I’ll run a test and find out the best distance. Thanks again

Newbgrower1

Newbgrower1

So I’m just about ready to start my grow journal. I was planning on starting it in this post but ikind of want to start a new one so it’s a lil more organized. What do you guys think. Should I just rename this post “help with lights” and start a new journal or just keep Everything together? Might be a stupid question but I’m kind of new to the farm and this is my first journal. Just want to do it right. Thanks

Latest posts

Top Bottom